New release from Reel image, Ads & Danial Graig Reel

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:25 pm

Not too sure if anyone else has seen this reel other than the author of the review elsewhere?

It could well be a good seller, unfortunately, at present time, the review is sadly, less than vague. This reel has clearly been viewed so i dont understand why other collectors who have queried the price, duration of reel, or is the title available or is it on an order by order basis and estimated delivery time from purchase plus screenshots, not been answered.

The reply to these reasonable enquiries following something as important as a brand new release was, " I expect the normal, place your order with Reel Image. Best check direct with them for price. Very busy here but next time I run it will take a few snaps just for you".

Just for you???? I think all those interested would want to see screenshots.

For Steve to sell these, the reviewer will have to be a whole more customer friendly than this, I really do not understand why such simple questions are answered, (or not answered) in this vague manner, surely as you watch a new release with a view to doing a review, the screenshots are a must to start with, and you must know the price and the running time????

So, has anyone else seen or have this for a proper review or know if it's been released or will be? And most of all, the price.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 06.17.2022 | Top

RE: New release from Reel image, Ads & Danial Graig Reel

#2 by Paul Browning , Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:23 pm

I saw er "the revue" to put it mildly, i know some are called "teasers" but reely, is that the sum of there sales pitch, its about as clear as mud. I think Roll Royce had a saying didn't they, "if you got to ask the price, you can't afford it", what do expect though given the pillock writing it .............

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm

Im guessing from what im reading that it is Steve O thats releasing this one, so therefore, the free print for review has been sent over and done. I could be wrong though, benefit of the doubt and all that, and still people cant see it though.
If this was my new release i would have a dozen screenshots, and a full listing of the content and a decent description in order to give it the sell. These are very interesting times for our hobby, new releases in 2020/2021 and now 2022, this is a major boost for this hobby even though the titles wont appeal to all but each new releases deserve a good, full and honest review in order to attract potential buyers.
I will look forward to a better review, or at least some screenshots, a price and more detail of content added to the existing review.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Mark Mander , Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:01 pm

I thought it was pretty weak in the sales pitch dept, maybe its the CHC approach to customer care, god bless though when it goes tits up!! Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Paul Browning
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:24 pm

Well, i see some images are now up, so thats a good start, looks like those streaks are now gone going by these shots, but again, comments like "Here are a few quick snaps just for you and for the benefit of those who buy new prints", are not really helping. The screenshots should have been a part of the review and they should not be only for those interested in buying new prints, they should be for ALL potential customers, in other words, every collector with a projector.
If anyone else has a copy, please lets see a proper and full review.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Greg Perry , Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:50 pm

I just received my copy in the mail yesterday. I will screen it tomorrow evening as my daughter heads back to Europe tomorrow afternoon. Pics to follow.
Steve O. has indicated cost is high because Alberto insisted on recording prints or would not stripe. $159 USD, on a 400 ft. reel, but with maybe 300 feet? I will try and time it.

This price will sadly put a copy out of the hands of some/many collectors. Alternative striping services are in progress. Steve is doing his very best to keep titles flowing and to get the cost back down much closer to what we are used to.
My own guess is that Steve will be holding off on ordering more copies until a more reasonable price can be had. But, this is my guess and does not come from Steve himself.

Paul Browning sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:03 pm

wow, that is a lot of dosh, as it happens, this is what Dave Baker was talking about.
I will look forward to your review though, no wonder Lee didn't mention the price but unfortunately that will be out of reach bearing in mind what you can buy for that amount.
Thank you for the information Greg.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Paul Browning , Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:28 pm

So the big reveal, the elephant in the room, and why begs the question could this info not be part of the initial upload, surely any sensible person would ask how much is it please ?. I thought andec did the recording of previous release's, could they not be approached again, or is this there stance too ?. Although i have a few commercial trailers and teasers there not my favourite things to collect, just as well at these prices, i'll keep my old one's, at there bargain prices..............

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#9 by Dave Baker , Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:13 pm

Just so you all know , Steve O. is STILL loosing money @ 159.00USD per print ( due to Alberto's inflated service prices that originally was NOT authorized to record sound on )
Alberto charged Steve and I REDICULOUS amounts of money for his " services " ( I LOST 600 Euros on forced sound recording as he tries to put our AMERICAN sound recording services out of business )
AND he allowed LEE M. off from recording sound on his films ( all , I'm sure , for dripping honey from his mouth every chance he gets about this mafia- arm - twisting rip-off artist )

It's best if you all hear EVERY side of what's going on , so you are not bent to one direction on this subject .

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#10 by Graham Sinden , Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:04 pm

Message from Steve Osborne...................

There is no problem with rights on ads and tralers.

No one in the day ask for rights to print trailers or ads.

Plus I know for a fact that MANY of Derann's and other companies releases did not have rights given.

As long as only a few prints are sold and are within a small group there is no problem. I know this for a fact.

A person can download MANY films from the Internet and show on large screens!!

We make NO MONEY of the prints and NO Money is made by showing them at home. In fact anyone that sells a new print is loosing money!!!!!!

And 0n 16mm films? Every print out there has no rights. They were made for TV stations and film libraries!!!

This is a hobby! Are hobbies suppose to be a diversion from everyday life? Its suppose to be fun!

Lets make it that way and stop the Debbie Downers out there that are always trying to start trouble and bickering.

LETS ENJOY AND HAVE FUN! All my best, Steve Osborne The Reel Image

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#11 by Martin Dew , Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:00 am

Can anyone point me to where the information on this ad reel exists? Couldn't find anything on Reel Image or the other channel. Also, Tom, I think you said images are posted somewhere? Sorry to be a dummie on this one, but enquiring minds etc...

Many thanks!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#12 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:23 am

Lee added a few images on his thread on the other channel further down after anonther member asked for them.

Martin Dew sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#13 by Greg Perry , Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:03 pm

More details on this won't be posted till tomorrow night (TUE). Sadly, I left my phone at work in a building that is inaccessible on the weekend as it is undergoing renovation.

Tom Photiou and Martin Dew say Thank You!

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#14 by Greg Perry , Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:44 am

More info on the "Daniel Craig trailers and advert reel"...Pics to come Wednesday when I can pull them off icloud.

This reel runs approximately 13 minutes and 15 seconds, so maybe closer to 250 ft than 300 ft.

Starting off we have the standard countdown with two "China girls" included, which was a nice bonus.
1. "Gnomes" for the UK rail advert
2. FIrst Choice waterpark
3. Blackpool tourism advert (very brief horizontal green lines for a second or so)
4. Lego advert
5. O2 Joggler
6. Warburton Toast advert with James Bond theme
7. CrushR ad with cats lifting weights (very brief horizontal green lines for a second or so)
8. Haribo Fruit Candy (very brief horizontal green lines for a second or so)
9. Coco Pops "Moon & Stars" cereal with Lipps, Inc. "Funkytown" song as background music
10. Mueller Dairies yogurt ad
11. Oreo Cookies ad with boy and dog
12. Rank Screen Advertising interstitial
13. Dennis Hopper "Speed" spoof for Orange cellphone
14. "Our Next Presentation".. (very brief horizontal green lines for a second or so)
15. Trailer for "The Trench" with Daniel Craig (approx. 1:47)
16. "Next Week Afternoons Only"..
17. Trailer for "Defiance" with Daniel Craig (approx. 2:02)

There are some really fun adverts here. A few didn't really strike me, but maybe they would for UK members.
Overall quality is very good. One or two adverts appeared a bit soft in focus. As noted, a few had very brief and thin green lines. But many more were very sharp and with outstanding color. Although we would prefer perfection, this did not bother me that much, and probably is the new reality going forward as pristine source material on film will continue to be more difficult to find and use. I didn't notice much of the slight shift toward blue that has popped up on some new releases in the past.

As you can see, this is more of an advert reel than a Daniel Craig trailer reel. That is not a criticism, it is more so being clear as to what one is signing up for. It would have been a plus to have "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", and/or "The Road to Perdition" included as Daniel Craig had good roles in those films. I liked the "Defiance" movie, but have not seen "The Trench". After watching the trailer for "The Trench" it is one I will seek out to view via streaming.

A nice job by all involved--from what I currently understand, this is a Lee Mannering project that is being offered for sale through Steve O. It is a bit of a shame that the cost is inflated due to the recording costs in Italy. Nonetheless, it is always a treat to get a new release out on Super 8. I will post pics on Wednesday afternoon. Stay tuned....

Tom Photiou, Mark Mander and Martin Dew say Thank You!

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#15 by Mark Mander , Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:17 am

Thanks Greg,
This gives a much better insight of what your getting with this release and its what potential collectors need to know given the cost, Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#16 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:20 am

A very good review Greg, thank you for for this.
From your review this looks like a good reel of ads and trailers. I have to admit i have not heard of either of the two films that the trailers cover, The Trench looks a good one and i'll get the DVD to it, not too sure about Defiance.
Plenty of ads which are more up to date for obvious reasons.
My own thoughts are, i think because of prices these days it may work better for sales if this had been done as two releases, an ad reel, and a separate Danial Greg trailer, however, i see the footage is closer to 250ft rather than the 300ft mentioned on the other channel so i get why it is a single release one reeler.
For the sake of better sales, THIS is the type of review a new release is needed for collectors to reference to so thanks again Greg.
I'm voting that Greg should be the official reviewer for all new future releases, on both channels.

Paul Browning likes this
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 06.22.2022 | Top

#17 by Paul Browning , Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:08 pm

I'll second your vote Tom, Gregs our new "Barry Norman " ............. Perhaps a discount for Greg off any new future trailers ....................

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#18 by Greg Perry , Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:52 pm

The iphone pics which I took turned out poorly. So I will take some better ones this evening (THU)....

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

Projections: Film and Disc at Home on the BIG Screen, Issue #110
35mm prints on ebay

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor