Vitriolic post

#1 by Terry Sills , Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:38 am

I saw on the ‘other forum’ that a hateful post was made about another forum member. It was deleted before most were able to see it and I wondered if anyone here saw it. Who was it aimed at and who was the author?

Terry Sills  
Terry Sills
Date registered 12.15.2021

RE: Vitriolic post

#2 by Tom Photiou , Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:51 am

I didnt see it myself Terry. I am also curious but if anyone saw it, i would suggest that it may be best to let you know via a PM only just so as not to repeat it openly on here. I too am very curious as to what was said, to who and from who. I know maurice said look at that location so again, im very curious.more so as to why it was said (whatever it was).

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 02.01.2022 | Top

#3 by Terry Sills , Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:59 am

I’m sure we are not the only ones Tom. I despise the cancel culture and censorship of today. Perhaps the criticism was deserved and in any case the person does not now have the opportunity to defend themselves. What happened to free speech these days?

Tom Photiou likes this
Terry Sills  
Terry Sills

#4 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:11 am

I saw it and was disgusted that any member could be so spiteful and rude towards a fellow member.
Completely unwarranted.
There is no point in giving full details as it's been now laid to rest.

The following members like this: John Armer, Eivind Mork and Del Phillipson
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#5 by Terry Sills , Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:17 pm

Maybe it was spiteful and rude, but it would have been nice to judge for ourselves and for the intended to have the right to reply and defend himself. Not for someone else to be judge and jury on the post. You obviously have your standards but we don’t know the reasons for him making the post. Perhaps they were valid. I don’t appreciate someone else censoring what I am able to read. Having said that Doug, as moderator of the forum can do as he pleases.

Tom Photiou likes this
Terry Sills  
Terry Sills

#6 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:15 pm

If you had read it you would not being saying what you said above.
It deserved to be taken down.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#7 by Eivind Mork , Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:47 pm

I will just point out that free speech does not mean that you can say what you want in other peoples places like forums, private homes etc. He can say what he likes in his own blog, forum or similar, but the forum moderators are in their full right to remove what they like from their own forum. I for one am glad that mean spirited members can't set the tone for everybody else in a forum.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#8 by Terry Sills , Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:19 pm

I don’t disagree with you Eivind but because we cannot see the post we cannot make a judgment. Foul or coarse language should never be tolerated. However the member was obviously moved to make the post probably due to a bad experience with the intended and perhaps it might have benefited other members to hear about it. There are unscrupulous dealers out there.

Terry Sills  
Terry Sills

#9 by Greg Perry , Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:42 pm

Hi Terry,

I saw all of the posts that were made by the angry forum member. I won't say the name of who was being attacked, nor who did it. The outburst was not due to a sale gone bad or anything that would have provided ANY insights to fellow collectors.
Basically, one collector got upset and then made multiple posts that simply insulted another using profanity. These posts were written to hurt and degrade a member. No sense in keeping rubbish like that on any forum.

I think everyone is in support of free speech, and especially so towards citizens and their governments. Those that have seen the posts (now deleted) have consistently agreed these attacks were best removed. It was like graffiti sprayed on a wall, that then needs removal. Doug made the right choice. These petty and hurtful actions made by an angry person are definitely not, in my opinion, what freedom of speech is truly all about.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Eivind Mork, John Armer and Del Phillipson

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#10 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:46 pm

Greg,
Here, here. Well said.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#11 by Terry Sills , Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:29 pm

Thank you Greg that answers my query and explains very well why it was deleted. No need for that sort of nonsense on the forum, or anywhere else. Fully justified and a pity it was not explained on the forum. From what I understood it was just one post. Not the case and we don’t want idiotic stuff like that. Pity it was shrouded in ‘secrecy’ in the first place.

Tom Photiou likes this
Terry Sills  
Terry Sills

Facebook
Postage charges for films (as well as everything else)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor