Those Trailers

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:20 pm

I read elsewhere, a thread regarding rare trailers and i got to thinking that the ones that i saw listed were not really what i called rare, Kelly's Heroes in scope, only released as a teaser along with a long scope trailer on the same reel for The Raven, point blank and also Lawrence of Arabia, all of these are trailers i have myself and all on low fade stock.
Point Blank is another one which came on a reel with two other very good trailers, and also a reel i have myself, it includes, Ice station Zebra and 2010 the year we make contact, all three are full length and all on a very full 200ft spool.
As i was reading Marks excellent thread showing his new film room, i reckon having seen a shot of all those trailer reels he has, i bet Mark definatly has some real gems of trailers in there, so without wishing to cross thread, i think its one worth perusing, do you have a trailer which you took years to find and never seen one since? While i cant say i have any one offs, here are a few i think could be quite rare,

200ft classic scope reel No 1, The Robe/A Fistful od Dollars and Rebel without a cause, great reel,
200ft classic Star Trek trailer reel, contains full trailers to Star Trek 4 The Voyage Home, Start Trek 5, The final Frontier and Star Trek 6, The Undiscovered country
Dog Day Afternoon,
Ace Ventura, When Nature Calls
Crimson Tide Scope
Elf, Scope
Every which way but Loose, scope low fade
Ghostbusters ,scope
Inner Space
Once Upon a time in the West Scope
The Searchers
Spider man 2002
Star Wars The Phantom Menace Scope
The Empire Strikes back Scope
Patriot Games Harrison Ford, Scope.

Defiantly not one off but i very rarely see them for sale. I wonder if anyone has a huge collection of those thunderbird trailer reels. I'm sure they did every film i could think of, old and new, (at the time).

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Those Trailers

#2 by Mark Mander , Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:30 pm

I have some knowledge which ones are shall we say less commonTom, I have most of the ones you've mentioned, I wouldn't think those are rare, i know things like Rambo and G I Blues are common but the ones mentioned are probably hard to find these days as collectors will hold onto them, the only one I have which I've not seen any others for sale is This is Elvis, I think Derann put it out?? Took a while to find it, I have it on 16mm too. Older trailers with decent colour would be rarer I guess? Mark.

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

Last edited 12.22.2021 | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:17 am

i agree Mark, as time goes by more and more collectors will almost certainly hold on to items that rarely come up for sale. There was a time when trailers and short 200ft subjects would be easily affordable and were therefore the items many people bought because they were affordable, generally, this is still the case but even some of these seem to go nuts when sold now. I myself have never seen the trailer to this is Elvis for sale, so for you to have it on 8 and 16mm is great.
I have recently bought the trailer to the Warriors which is on Agfa stock and it arrived a few days ago, i was worried it may have been worn or maybe not complete but pleased to say it is full and has hardly a mark on it.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Mark Mander

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Greg Perry , Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:27 am

Tom,

It seems like many of the trailers on your list are Scope. My trailer for "You Only Live Twice" should be Scope, but it was printed flat (I guess) such that the image is cut-off on the sides.
I was thinking the Planet of the Apes (the original of course) was somewhat rare. But maybe it is only rare with good color? You can't go wrong with a nice reel of Schwarzenegger, Eastwood or Bond trailers.

Mark Mander likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Mark Mander , Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:25 pm

I have the original Planet of the Apes Greg, scope LPP so they are about, really good trailer too,

Some of the Carry On trailers I have are really nice prints, Carry On Regardless and Carry On Teacher, I haven't seen many for sale, does that make them rare? Mark.

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#6 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:05 pm

Planet of the Apes scope trailer is a very good one, i was lucky to have been offered this one earlier in the year.

Planet of the Apes/ Every which way but loose Scope Trailers.

I agree with Mark in that they probably arnt that rare, more of a case of people holding onto them these days, once you let them go thats it, you'd have to be lucky to find them again.
Many of my 16mm films were bought on money made from 8mm trailers and short subject so they can make good money for new titles. I've got to an age now where i no longer want to keep adding numbers to an already large pair of collections, i like to be able to view as many as possible each year, if those numbers keep going up and up , then some films end up on the shelf year after year with no viewings which for me, seems pointless as well as very expensive.

Don Cunningham likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by Don Cunningham , Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:08 pm

There are three trailers (two 16mm and 1 35mm) in my collection that are hard to find. In fact, one (16mm) was not even known to have existed prior to my purchase...I call that rare. The second 16mm features the same actor and release company (these two Spanish titles went straight to TV in the US) which opens up potential pondering with possible theatrical play.

I think the word "RARE" gets used too frequently to sell something, or cause panic. Much like the word "hero" is overused.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#8 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:04 pm

Thats true Don, just about every sale on ebay for cine seems to start with Rare, mega rare or ultra rare. I have no idea where some of the idiots come up with that, "difficult to find" is probably a more honest way to put it. I think i myself have been a bit guilty of that in the past.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

This is funny
Independent 8 Christmas Competition

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor