First Christmas film show

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:03 pm

Tonight we viewed a few Christmas super 8s,

Trailers for,
Miracle on 34th Street, Home Alone,
Christmas ad reel (Ernest Solves Christmas, Deck the Halls and Muppet Christmas carol),
followed by,
Tom & Jerry the Night before Christmas, (French full version, English Sound),
Santa's Workshop,
Pluto's Christmas Tree
Madagascar penguins, Christmas Caper.

As it happens, viewing all of the above this evening was a good way to compare a new release with the usual prints from labs here from the 80s/90s and even 2000s from Derann with the penguins film.
The recent release Christmas trailer reel 1 also has that look of the new releases, the exception being The Muppet Christmas carol which, i have to say, does have the best of the contrast and colours, it has a few cinch lines near the end which is within the sourced material, but the quality is outstanding. The other two trailers are also good, but, (in my opinion) they do have that sort of grey look where it should be bright whites, and deep blacks, BUT, they still look good. The sound, like all the new releases, is outstanding from a digital source. I now get what you chaps who re-record are saying when you explain the difference it makes to re record. I just wish i could do it.
A fun evenings viewing and the first of several Christmas shows.
I will add the comparison images of the green preview screen later. It isn't criticism, its just me giving my honest opinion, while the Andec labs are welcome to still be dealing in real film, there is something they need to tweak to get the whites and blacks corrected in order to boost the contrast, you should not need to project in HID to get the correct contrast. (or modify them on phone or PC before putting up reviews ).

The following members like this: Mark Mander, Don Cunningham, Greg Perry, Del Phillipson, Eivind Mork and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 12.02.2021 | Top

RE: First Christmas film show

#2 by Mark Mander , Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:29 pm

A nice bunch of films there Tom, bit early for me but it is December so I'll let you off ha ha.

Yes I agree with the rerecording, that's just a trailer your noticing, wait until you hear a musical or action/ horror film, it lifts the film to another level, it really does improve the experience, Mark

The following members like this: Don Cunningham, Del Phillipson and Greg Perry
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#3 by Greg Perry , Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:15 am

Tom,
A great selection of titles there!
Looking forward to the pics of the rating card color differences. I am sure Dave Baker and Steve Osborne appreciate constructive feedback like you are sharing. Nothing wrong with pursuing an improvement wherever possible...

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Tom Photiou , Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:51 pm

Cheers Greg, as you said, i am trying to be truthful without putting the films down. My own opinion on the print quality is not an A+, but more a A-/B+. If Andec can get the saturation of colours and contrast correct, then they would be an A+.

Here is that opening comparison, unfortunately, i have rushed getting the older one done tonight, but hopefully you will get what i am saying. Ignore the sharpness, i didn't focus the scope one properly, instead, look at the colours, on screen the older one is a bright green, while the other one is almost like a grey green. It isn't a criticism, its me being more honest, there's no point in saying things like, "it knocks socks off anything before", because it doesn't. Its good though, its great to see new releases, but there is no point what so ever in making them the best thing ever, because what happens is that someone,(like me) buys the trailer reel and sits there as soon as the opening starts i go, "oh!!!! Contrast aint right". And as for the other comments ive seen regarding, "This is how the old 20th Century Uni 8 2x400 thin poly print looks today off screen projected on a Halogen lit projector", well, most home projector's use a halogen lamp and there is nothing wrong with them at all. A good 150w bulb with an F1:1 or F1:0 makes a perfectly good white light and I dont doubt one bit that the HID lamp improves things, but wait till you try and buy replacement HID bulb any time soon, those cheap Chinese version are not the same and as i have been told by a man who knows, they do not fit the converted Eumigs as they are too long and hit the shutter and you cannot move anything back far enough as there isn't enough room. Therefore, i go with the majority when reviewing my films, The halogen bulb way which has been sufficient for donkey's years.
These images are taken with an early 4mp camera but you should get where i'm coming from, it isn't just this opening, its the whole reel, and not just the trailer reel.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 12.06.2021 | Top

#5 by Paul Browning , Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:38 pm

By a man who knows... So those future proof Eumigs with there up to date lamps are now useless when the lamp gives up the goat, hold on though as a "audio visual expert with some 50 years experience ", the chances are all the available lamps at half the price have been purchased, to sell them on to " forum friends " at double the price. Its like a drug dealer seller there wares to keep them hooked forever, a great business idea only if your "smuck"......................

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 12.06.2021 | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:40 pm

A quick viewing tonight, while this film is not a Christmas film, we always show it in December in among our Christmas titles, for some reason we feel this is very much like a Christmas feel film.
Great colours, sharp image and very good sound.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Eivind Mork and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#7 by Tom Photiou , Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm

Couple more Christmas movies tonight, (i guess im the only one viewing xmas films on here? )

The Snowman, stereo copy i bought 31 years ago, cant have Christmas without this one, 1 x 600
A Walt Disney Christmas. 1 x 400ft. This has got to be one of the best super 8 Christmas films released by Disney home movies. All four cartoons are edited down perfectly and while many of these are now fading, this one was purchased a few years ago off ebay due to it being on low fade stock. It is to date, one of our best ebay purchases. The print quality, colour and sound are all first class.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Paul Browning, Mark Mander, Eivind Mork and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 12.09.2021 | Top

#8 by Mark Mander , Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:12 pm

I'm lucky to have a low fade copy of Walt Disney Christmas too, they do look lovely on screen, I'm hoping to do a Christmas film show at some point too.

Looks great Tom, keep them coming, Mark

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Del Phillipson
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#9 by Del Phillipson , Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:15 pm

Tom, been watching some, Mickey's Christmas Carol (newly re recorded), The Snowman (newly re recorded), both now sound fantastic, also watched Scrooge last night, I re recorded that into stereo last year with terrific results, what a difference. Going to sit and watch my other stereo cartoons tonight including Madagascar Penguins & Pluto's Christmas Tree amongst them, recently picked up Goodwill To All Men and Peace On Earth from Phil, both terrific prints so chuffed to bits with them. Also got a lovely LPP colour print of A Flintstones Christmas on 16mm, can't wait to see that one as I haven't seen that since the 90's on VHS

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#10 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:27 pm

Good titles Del, Mickeys Christmas Carol is my favourite so we are saving that one till last, i have had both Goodwill To All Men and Peace On Earth for many years now, again, two very good cartoons that sadly, never get a showing on TV, todays mob of snowflakes miss on these gems.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#11 by Del Phillipson , Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Forgot, I also watched Gremlins, had to re record that last year as the original sound was very poor, also a gorgeous stereo print of Donald's Snow Fight, I did sit and watch The Snowman again as well last night as I was so impressed with the sound the night before I thought I'd enjoy it again.........and I did

Tom, Mickey has to be one of Derann's finest releases, I can see why it goes for such a high premium when you actually sit and watch it.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

Last edited 12.11.2021 | Top

Asterix und die Piraten
Genevieve

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor