New Eumig 824!

#1 by Angie Knechtel , Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:43 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Thank you for allowing me to become a member of your forum! I recently started watching old VHS tapes to decide which ones to get digitized, and in my searching through boxes from my husband's parents, I found THIRTY EIGHT Super 8 reels from his childhood! Camping trips to San Onofre and Leo Carillo, band performances, and family Christmases etc from 1967-1974! We were so excited, that we purchased a "new" Eumig 824 off of Ebay. This projector is literally new in the box...obviously purchased or received as a gift back in the day but never used. Still in styrofoam with all the cables in bags, in pristine condition - like it has literally never been used or even out of the box! We were so thrilled when it arrived, and assumed that we could just follow the instructions and watch a movie! But alas, there is something wrong, and we have destroyed the lead on 3 different films because it gets caught up right where all those little hinges come together when you hold down the lever for the feed. We are so bummed! Fortunately, it is only the white lead that is crunched up, not the actual film reel, but even so, now we're terrified, and pretty much at a stand still because we don't know a single person who has any experience with this! I am hoping that someone in this forum will have an easy fix! Thank you for your help!

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Martin Dew

Angie Knechtel
Date registered 11.30.2021
home: Hemet, CA

RE: New Eumig 824!

#2 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:17 pm

Angie
Have you used the small trimmer to prepare the lead for threading?
Note that the film should have a slight curl.
These comments are in the projector's instruction book.

Greg Perry likes this
Angie Knechtel sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#3 by Tom Photiou , Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:00 pm

Hello Angie, welcome to the forum,
This may be long winded, but at the back of the projector is a round milled knob which spins when the projector is started up, its all connected to the shafts inside.
With the projector off and the front cover taken off, gently turn this knob and feed the film in by hand as you turn it until the film catches on the front sprocket, as though you were feeding in to thread up, hold down that threading key, (i assume you did hold the threading key down when you fed the film in when it was folding the film?
With the the threading key down, continue to turn the black knob and hopefully you will see the leader going through, it doesn't take too long, and this way you may see where the leader catches and what is causing the film to fold up, sometimes its just something like a piece of broken old film in the film path.
Please be careful if you decide to pull the pressure plate and film guide out, before you do this you must ensure that the dot on that black knob is at the top, if you dont you will break the claw pin off and then you will not be able to put any films through without a major repair.
I recently bought an 822 sonomatic Eumig with the pin broken and it was a pain to replace, i still have yet to find the time to set the claw pin up.
Please let us know how you get on.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 11.30.2021 | Top

#4 by Angie Knechtel , Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:29 am

Thank you so much for these quick replies! To answer your questions, we did trim it with the built in trimmer and it was curled. We did push the lever down and hold it, waiting for the film to come out the other side like the instructions said. But it never got that far. It got all jammed up and we put the big knob back to "stop". We're going to try to hand feed it and see if we can tell what's hanging it up. We were wondering how to hand feed it! Thanks for the tip! After a super long day at work, I'm too beat to pull it all out now, but we will definitely try this week. Again, thank you so much! I will let you know how it goes!

Angie Knechtel

#5 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:39 am

Your welcome. Another place to look on these is that small cover behind the rear sprocket, the last place where the film pops out as it feeds to th rear spool. I have seen small pieces of broken film in that section before, when you gently pull that small cover off be very carefull that the tiny rollers dont come off and get lost. Those rollers are each made up of two halfs.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#6 by Angie Knechtel , Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:56 pm

That worked!! It seemed like the sprocket on the left needed to be adjusted, so we did that, and the film went all the way through...now it looks like it needs a new bulb. I found a guy from the UK who is selling an Osram bulb for $21 plus shipping (comes out to 21.94 GBP) Does that seem like the right one? Or do you have a better source? I'm in California, USA.

Angie Knechtel

Last edited 12.01.2021 | Top

#7 by Greg Perry , Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi Angie,

You can for sure find the necessary bulb in the US. Here is a company I have bought from recently, and a link to what I think is the proper bulb for the Eumig Sonomatic 824. Please confirm though, with the manual or the burnt out one.

https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/efp...ogen-light-bulb

Have fun,
Greg

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#8 by Maurice Leakey , Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:48 pm

Yes.
The EFP is the correct lamp for the 824.

Greg Perry and Angie Knechtel say Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#9 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:28 pm

Good news, we will look forward to how you get on with the films. They sound like they will bring back some very nice memories

Angie Knechtel likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#10 by Stuart Hilliker , Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm

It’s worth removing the current lamp and cleaning the pins. The fitting and pins can corrode and cause the lamp to fail to light.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Martin Dew
Stuart Hilliker  
Stuart Hilliker
Date registered 10.11.2016
ThankYou 12

#11 by Angie Knechtel , Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:10 am

IT WORKS!! Oh my goodness! You guys are THE BEST!! I ordered a new bulb - thanks for the great link! But then I took Stuart's advice and pulled the existing bulb out and cleaned off the pins. They were definitely corroded and Voila! It lit up! And we watched my husband's brother playing flag football as a little kid. hahaha!! Oh if I hadn't found this forum, we would still be scratching our heads! And SO SAD! None of your advice was in the manual. Thank you so much!! I'll be back if anything else goes wrong. God bless you and Merry Christmas!!

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou, Eivind Mork, Mark Mander and Martin Dew

Angie Knechtel

#12 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:31 am

Well done, Angie,
I do love a happy ending.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Martin Dew and Tom Photiou
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#13 by Thomas Peters , Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:04 am

That's a nice machine!

I had a hankering to get one of these about a year ago. I need another projector like a hole in the head, so I never bought one. And they ain't cheap, that's for sure.

Regarding the big auction site sellers:

I had my eye on one with a decent (but not great) buy-it-now price with a best-offer option. From the pics, I couldn't tell if all the gates and pressure plates were inlcuded, so being an informed buyer, I asked questions. Response: something like "I have no idea", and a dollar amount indicating how low they would go on the price. I then told the person where to check for the gates. Response: something like, "I don't know anything about these and am afraid to break something." So I said, "OK, never mind, but you just can easily remove the front cover and look", and I provided details, and even said that clear instructions were in the manual that they had pictured. Then I got a snarky response: "For the price, you have plenty of room to buy whatever parts that may be missing. This is already packed and ready to ship, and I have a bad back and can't keep lifting it. There are many people interested in it, and it will eventually sell." Sheesh! I just moved on and stopped replying. Saved me money in the end, lol. It did sell a few weeks later, though.

I don't care how low they thought the price was (and it was still in the $200s if I recall correctly -- I want to know what I'm getting. It is nearly impossible to buy the gates and pressure plates separately, since these are not compatible with the earlier 800 series models. (I have a supply of those pressure plates and gates in reserve for my Eumig.) So if they were missing I would have to buy another 824, and what if another seller had the same attitide? How did this seller know -- maybe I already had an 824 with missing gates and I was buying this one just for those parts? I also love how people sell projectors for parts, but can't tell you what part you are getting and what parts you aren't. :)

And some sellers considered the question I asked about the gates to be asking about "accessories". I tried to explain that they are not "accessories", that they are necessary for the projector to function. I get better responses talking to the wall. :)

Martin Dew likes this
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 01.23.2023 | Top

#14 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:10 pm

My Brother is the big Eumig fan, he has several of them. I myself ventured into a couple a year or so ago, i bought the 810DLUX knowing there was a problem with the claw pin. One of the worst designs of any projector, making it so easy to break off. However, this was a cheap machine and the price of around £30 was worth it for the suprogen lens it came with.
The other was the 820 sonomatic which is a super 8 only model with the twin claw. Both are play toys for me to try and get them working which i have done, but they both need time spent on them to fine tune them but to date, i havnt found that time i need but hopefully one day. With the suprogen lens my Brother already had it now means he has decent len's for at least two og duel gauge machines.

The 824 sonomatic seems to be the one to go for, it is one thats always eluded me but it is a smart looking machine.
For my own uses, I stick with the Elmo 1200HD's and the Bauer T610, recently added to my stock is the lovely Sankyo OMS880 stereo.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#15 by Thomas Peters , Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:26 pm

The Eumigs were great machines when new. That was my first sound projector in the 70s. Even as a kid, I never broke off the pin even though I made the changes to the gates for Standard/Super 8.

I think in the 824 the gate is fixed so you don't have to turn the knob with the dot up. You just change the pressure plates.

To me, nothing beats the Elmo ST1200HD.

I've always wanted a Sankyo sound - I only have a silent one - but they always go for more than I'm willing to pay.

My secret: get a Yamawa-made Super 8 sound projector if you don't want to pay Elmo, Eumig, or Sankyo prices. They were sold under various names, including Fujifilm/Fujicascope, Yashica, Minolta, and even Bell and Howell. Most take 100watt EFP lamps and are supplied with nice 1.3 zoom lenses. Most have 600 foot capacity.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#16 by Thomas Peters , Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:21 am

Funny, but it looks like the demand for this machine has gone down. I saw one today, and when I clicked, it said I had turned down an offer, which must have been a year ago. It was not that snarky seller I mentioned above, I know that much. This seller has lowered the price below what he offered it to me last year. I probably asked questions at the time about having all the pressure plates and sprockets, but I don't remember the answers, and the description doesn't give those details. I probably turned it down since they were missing.

Anyway, I don't need another projector now anyway, lol.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#17 by Maurice Leakey , Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:20 pm

The problem with the 824 is the little box which contains the conversion items. It has a pull-off panel which discloses the adhesive base.
But, there is no position designed for the box's attachment. Eumig say "a convenient place" !!
My 824 came in its original red box and contained everything which would have all come with a new projector.
The conversion parts are often missing on eBay sales for the 824, and other similar Eumig models.
Caveat Emptor.

Thomas Peters likes this
Thomas Peters sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

Last edited 03.09.2023 | Top

#18 by Thomas Peters , Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:28 am

Thanks, I didn't know that.

And as I mentioned, some sellers consider those parts to be accessories, which they are not; they are required in order for the machine to function as a dual-8 machine.

I never found the earlier 800 series machines to be lacking in sound quality, tbh. They should have increased the lamp to 150 watts for the 824. I know they included a 1.2 lens, which I bought separately a long time ago. I never noticed much difference between that and the 1.3, though.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#19 by Martin Dew , Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:34 am

Quote: Maurice Leakey wrote in post #17
The problem with the 824 is the little box which contains the conversion items. It has a pull-off panel which discloses the adhesive base.
But, there is no position designed for the box's attachment. Eumig say "a convenient place" !!
My 824 came in its original red box and contained everything which would have all come with a new projector.
The conversion parts are often missing on eBay sales for the 824, and other similar Eumig models.
Caveat Emptor.

Maurice, I thought the sprockets and gate were inside the lamp house cover? Or is the 824 different in that respect to the 810? I have an 824 manual in the loft - I need to go and find it clearly!

Thomas Peters likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 95

#20 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:10 am

Martin
The 824 has permanent sprockets for standard 8. The Super 8 parts are:-
1) Two rings of Super 8 teeth which clip over the existing standard 8 sprockets.
2) Gate for Super 8.
There is no room inside the side cover which is taken up by the frame counter, so the parts come in a separate small box which can be "stuck" anywhere on the projector, but is seldom done, and therefore gets lost over time.
https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/data...24sonomatic.htm

The following members like this: Thomas Peters and Greg Perry
Martin Dew and Thomas Peters say Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#21 by Martin Dew , Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:34 pm

Good information, Maurice. Thanks.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 95

#22 by Thomas Peters , Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:34 pm

Isn't the gate permanent, and just the pressure pads that change? Hence no need to retract the claw when changing.

Thanks

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 03.10.2023 | Top

#23 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:48 pm

Thomas
Without looking at the Instruction Manual, I believe it's the other way round as the each gate will have different sized apertures.
So, it's the gate that gets changed, but the pressure plate is re-inserted for each gate in position.

The following members like this: Thomas Peters and Greg Perry
Thomas Peters sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#24 by Thomas Peters , Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:01 pm

Maurice,

I think you're right. I was just looking at some pics and the "S" is on the gate. I might have been thinking of another Eumig model. I have an 810D which has 2 pads and 2 sprockets.

The 824 couldn't work with the same gate for both since, at least on the 810D, the gate is what positions the film for correct claw pin placement. I'm not sure what I was thinking. :)

I think Eumig outmarted themselves with this new design of the 824. Why make the gauge changing slightly different than the 810 and 807? The whole business with "layered" sprockets seems sloppy to me, too, though I've never seen an 824 in person.

Is the 820 more like the 810 or more like the 824 with regard to gauge changing?

I have a bag full of spare gates, pressure pads, and sprockets, and I think some maybe for the 824 since they don't fit my 810. One sprocket looks weird too, so I assume that's without the Super 8 cover for it.

Thanks

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Jaws - Dave Films
Eumig 800 series lamp upgrade

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor