Jaws - Dave Films

#1 by Thomas Peters , Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:08 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Is this still available?

A used print with flaws just sold for $360.

Werbung: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295568026593?hash=item44d13a2be1

According to the seller, new prints cost $375.

I googled and found out it was from something called "Dave's Films", which advertises on Steve Osbourne's site.

Given the price it just sold for, I'd guess it is no longer available.

For that amount of money, I'd expect the full-length feature!

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

RE: Jaws - Dave Films

#2 by Don Cunningham , Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:19 pm

That is the price for a new digest. Not really a business but for the super 8 fiends that will pay exuberant costs to keep film going. Film is costly and new prints are being made overseas, on demand. So, while I do not buy "green prints" for that price, especially for a cut down, to each their own as their fund to enjoyment ratio is different.

The following members like this: Thomas Peters and Tom Photiou
Thomas Peters sais Thank You!

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#3 by Thomas Peters , Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:19 pm

If I remember correctly, before Derann closed their doors, that price or perhaps a little more would get you a full-length Disney feature.

JAWS aside, for $350 - $400 you can get 16mm full-length prints, unless it is one of those blockbusters that everyone wants. Luckily, my tastes lie mostly in the b&w classics.

I know it's not going to happen, but to keep the hobby alive, someone needs to manufacture a new Super 8 projector, with spare parts available. We do our best to keep our 40+ year old machines in working condition, and I'm thankful that belts are still available. What happens when belts are no longer available? Do we go to Home Depot and buy O-rings and cross our fingers? Do they even make O-rings the size of take-up belts for the Elmo ST-1200HD?

I've already had the bad news earlier this year that the BRK exciter lamps for my 16mm projectors have been discontinued. So I bought 3 spares for reasonable money. Then I read people saying those BRKs have a "shelf-life", yet I've never replaced one on my 16mm projector that I've had over a quarter of a century.

I converted some old 8mm machines to take halogens, but it's hit and miss getting a decent screen brightness. I was surprised when a 250 watt halogen produced a dim light on the screen, but then found out that it was too close to the gate. Too dim to be of any use at all. So if a lamp is not specifically made for a projector, you are often SOL. I hope the EFP, ELC, and EFR lamps stick around a long time.

Films will always be around, but the equipment to project them will become an issue. Whether it becomes an issue in my lifetime, I don't know. People were sounding the death knell for cine, and Super 8 in particular, 20 years ago, and here we still are.

I'm also thankful for companies like Van-Eck. They don't have every part for every machine, but they've done a great job of making the parts that break or wear out for the most popular machines.

Should someone actually make a new Super 8 machine (and I know it will never happen), it would probably cost so much that most people would pass on it. And V1 will have issues, then there will be a V1.1, then 2.0, etc. No one in this hobby will go for that, for the simple reason that money does not grow on trees.

Although I've never had a machine serviced by anyone but myself, I know there are people out there that are experts. But I hear that some of the best have retired, and they are in the U.K., anyway, which would be cost prohibitive for me, since I'm in the U.S.

Well, I've gotten off-topic, but since I started the thread, I guess it's ok.

Anyway, it's great that new prints are being made, but I for one will never be in a position to support it at those prices.

Martin Dew likes this
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#4 by Greg Perry , Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:41 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hi Thomas,

Yes, there is no doubt that costs are high for certain film titles, regardless of whether it is a new print or a vintage Derann print via eBay. I was fortunate to purchase the 600-foot digest of Jurassic Park and the digest you mentioned, JAWS, from Dave Films.
It is fantastic to have new, low-fade prints on Mylar stock of these classics. Certainly, the price tag excludes too many who may be interested in having a copy. But, for the most part, these new prints result in a financial loss to the distributors like Dave Films, unless a certain number of copies are sold to collectors. And when a loss happens, that means there will be fewer new choices going forward.

The B&W classics represent some of the best movies there is to see These B&W movies delivered the film experience using great actors, clever storytelling, and intriguing cinematography--and without any 'over-the-top' CGI effects as are seen so often nowadays.

It is valid to recognize the equipment limitation. Films, especially those on polyester stock, will likely outlive the projectors. But for me, and hopefully others, I will keep running films and, when possible, will buy a few more new prints when I can.
I personally don't want to give up on the hobby, even if the future outlook is not altogether bright....

Kind Regards,
Greg

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Thomas Peters , Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:29 pm

So is JAWS still available for printing on-demand? Reason I'm curious is that the eBay price (for a print with defects) was very close to a new print. So I assumed that it was no longer available. I may be wrong.

It's great that new prints are available. I just won't be a customer. Incidentally, according to the inflation calculator, the price of JAWS now would have been around $85 in the late 70s. If I remember correctly, that's just about what U8 was charging for their 2-parters, although you could get them for less on sale from places like Red Fox film catalogs. So the price is fair. Unfortunately, our minds do not always work like inflation calculators, so $375 today seems like a lot more than $85 did in the late 70s.

One of my points was that new films will not save the hobby, however, but the availability of at least replacement parts for our projectors will. And what I'll call consumables, like lamps and belts.

I also can't imagine anyone manufacturing a projector today with the build quality of a 70s-era Elmo or Eumig that would function perfectly from day one, and still be functional in 40 years.

The following members like this: Don Cunningham and Tom Photiou
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 03.22.2023 | Top

#6 by Lee Mannering , Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:02 am

Jaws was and is a REELLY great 600ft S8 movie, Its ideal for the spook shows over Halloween for instance. A sound investment.

The new releases have been a blessing to our hobby bringing new life, new titles and new collectors to the party which can only be good. Some who buy my own titles are new to film and the list of names is steadily growing. Making new releases is very time consuming and involves a whole lot of devotion to S8 and the people who support it all. It also requires someone who is willing to loose a great deal of money all for the love of film as nothing is being made from them, quite the opposite and collectors are aware of this. Difficult times are upon us but miraculously the value of S8 continues to grow and so I guess we could say its a sound investment. Here at Dorun Films we've tried to bring variety in the content but it is hard going after the Brexit thing and Europe.
However, we push on and do enjoy it all. Fragile S8 is, but my goodness when those new titles hit the screen and I stand at the back of a room watching collectors enjoying them it sure brings a smile to my face.

Thomas Peters likes this

Lee Mannering
Date registered 11.07.2022
ThankYou 5

#7 by Thomas Peters , Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:52 pm

JAWS was relisted and sold for $202.50. I guess the original buyer bailed. That price is more in line for a used print with defects. I suspected something when the original buyer was willing to pay almost as much as for a new print, but again, I'm not sure if a new one can still be ordered.

Lee,

I wasn't aware that you did new releases, too.

I know it is not gonna happen, but I might consider paying for a new release of the nearly-complete BATTLE OF THE CENTURY with Laurel and Hardy that was discovered several years ago. Also, one of the Charley Chase/Thelma Todd shorts that wasn't originally released by Blackhawk in the 70s, something like LOOSER THAN LOOSE. Both would have to be on B&W stock.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#8 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:01 pm

Lee, I'm not too convinced films are going up in value, on ebay recently there have been a good number of bargains, and many of the films that sold for high prices have miraculously been relisted, some for a third time after being sold high. The Jurassic park feature that was started at 999 dropped to 799 then sold for 600 which surprised me. It were only because I am fully aware of the sound strip this feature had from new I didn't go for it.

Greg/Thomas, we also have the 600ft release of Jurassic Park and i also confirm the print is very good, it doesn't quite have the look of a film made the traditional way of Derann Walton and all the other companies, but it is excellent and the sound is the best I have heard on any 8mm print, but the editing from full feature to 600ft 29 minutes is so good it does feel like you have watched the full film. The cost at that time was just about what I would pay for a title I really want, my regret is that I never bought this feature and a few others when they were the same price as the cut downs today, hindsight I guess.
As Greg said, unfortunately, the costs today prevent us buying to many new releases if any.
To put things is perspective, we bought the following films on 16mm for less than £190 each, all LPP all in great condition, no fade, no lines,
Mississippi burning, (£85) Bullitt, Guilty by suspicion, Without a clue, Uncle buck, (this one was 260) Gorky park to name of few, all reviewed on here, so while it is great to see the new releases, for us it is a balancing act, do we buy full 16mm features where the image jumps off the screen at you for well under the cost of the new 600 footers or do we invest in ten minutes trailer reels and "bits" of film reels?
It's a no brainer for me on this, however, It is great to see the new releases on the 8mm gauge and also that they seem to be selling well so well dont to all involved on these releases, I just wish we were able to add a few to our collection but the prices are too high for such short films when we are getting LPP prints on 16 and 8 for well under these costs.

I will add, that home alone is a wanted for me, but should the pound strengthen to a good figure then I can re visit that possibility, as you know the pound did slump and made a huge difference to buying abroad.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Mark Mander

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#9 by Thomas Peters , Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:19 pm

In general, the cost of used prints in Super 8 and Standard 8mm have gone down. There will always be the exception for titles that the masses love (e.g. STAR WARS, even the digests, though I don't know if it was ever released full-length.)

For what I collect, which is mostly b&w shorts from the classic comedians, the price has definitely gone down. Recently, I've seen some Our Gang shorts that have always been hard to get go unsold, even though the price was around $20.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish I had waited a few years before attempting to complete my Laurel and Hardy collection in Super 8. From the mid to late 90s, I got back into the hobby, and paid a small fortune to get all the L&H releases from Blackhawk (and a few not released by Blackhawk.) Most of their sound shorts cost about $35 each, and a few I paid around $50 for. Now, you should be able to get pretty much any of them for around $20 to $25. Sometimes less, especially when bought in lots.

I paid around $50 for 3 Stooges shorts back in the 90s. They still command a good price, and almost always sell right away, but now $35 tops, with many going for less than that.

Since I never bought films with the intent of seeing an increase in value in order to later sell, it is no big loss, though I have sold some of my L&H shorts in Super 8 after upgrading to 16mm.

The good news for me is that I have been able to add a great many titles to my collection, including Our Gang and 3 Stooges titles. I still have 2 more to go with the 3 Stooges (those released by Columbia in Super 8 sound), and 18 for Our Gang (The Hal Roach Talkies.)

There is no reason to pay more for a Super 8 print if you can get it for the same amount, or less, in 16mm, unless of course the Super 8 print is LPP color, while the 16mm is faded to red.

For the last quarter century, at least, used 16mm projectors have cost a lot less than top-tier used Super 8 ones. (Think Elmo, Sankyo, and Eumig.) All the more reason why paying a small fortune for a Super 8 print would make no sense.

The cost of an unfaded JAWS or JURASSIC PARK in 16mm would be through the roof, so in that case I can understand paying roughly $300 for digests of those titles if you really enjoyed them.

BTW, was the digest of JURASSIC PARK made from a digital source?

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Mark Mander
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 04.12.2023 | Top

#10 by Greg Perry , Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:39 am

Thomas,

My understanding is Dave Film's "Jurassic Park" digest is in fact from a 35mm print--not digital. I know the person who assisted in the actual cutting of the 35mm print that was then used to create the negative. As you are probably aware many of the new prints do come from a digital source. As time goes by, high quality 35mm prints are hard to find for most of the popular titles, so a digital source is an alternative.

The following members like this: Thomas Peters, Dave Baker and Tom Photiou
Thomas Peters sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#11 by Thomas Peters , Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:14 pm

Thanks. The reason I asked was because of Tom's comment:

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #8
it doesn't quite have the look of a film made the traditional way of Derann Walton and all the other companies

Tom,

What did you mean by that?

Thanks

I'm not sure I'll ever understand why anyone would make a film print from a digital source, but that's just me. The film print will not and can never look better than the digital version, for the simple reason that it is a copy.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Home Alone Digest - new print recieved
New Eumig 824!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor