A Picture Paints A Thousand words

#1 by Paul Browning , Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:06 pm

Some great pictures of the film convention on this forum and them lot on the other channel, i can't help wondering though do some of the photo's of the stall holders caught without knowing the picture is being taken look like they just lost there life savings in the car park, perhaps the many comments about CHC large selection put off most people looking else where ,that is of course unless your able to get not only a sneak peak but to buy up the small amount of new releases on offer for the day, only for them to turn up on flea bay later, as for there being no ^clique " you just witnessed it, through the window. Your standing in the queue like many more behind only to "mugged over later " by the very same people, seeing and not saying is aiding and abetting the act, these scallywags will continue to do so unless you collective act. I can see some the other stalls with plenty of films, but the mostly old cut downs and probably faded to boot, so you wonder why the stampede towards phils stands surprises some. Glad some got what they wanted all be it a rugby scrum to get it, and phil stuck with his overly priced features. It was certainly better attended than i thought it would be, but i think i'll stick to ebay for now..............

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

RE: A Picture Paints A Thousand words

#2 by Tom Photiou , Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:36 pm

Funny you should say that, on the other channel,(i cant see the same image here, sorry), on #19, third image down, the guy behind the stall does look like he doesn't want to be there, smiley faces are what customers want, its quite funny though. In a nice way.

It'l be interesting to see what turns up on ebay now, a pity there were so few of the new releases there, one copy of Jaws!!! If the films are not there, then people cant buy them. I'm not too sure id be happy to make a six hour each way trip to be told "make an offer" and then be knocked down. Conventions were never like that. I think for me it would be purely a social event to meet other collectors and if a bargain could be added, then so be it, crowding around like a boot sale isn't for me.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 11.22.2021 | Top

#3 by Graham Sinden , Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:44 pm

Paul I'm not sure your original point but the problem I find is there are the collector/dealers there who I think deliberately get a stall just so they can browse the best films before opening and nab them first, just leaving the faded pink films for everyone else when the doors open.

Tom as for new films I think it is now printed to order. The days when CHC would get a load of trailers done to be sold on the day are gone, although not sure if Steve Osbourne gets films printed first and then advertise later in his magazine.

Graham S

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Tom Photiou
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#4 by Paul Browning , Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:52 pm

Graham, on the nosey , i'm glad you have the back bone to say what you see, and without intervention you will be left with the dregs in the future.

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Mark Mander , Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:21 pm

There were people in the sale hall that were there that didn't have a stall, Greg mentioned that Shorty was in there, he was the one that was buying before the doors opened but as he was helping out then that's OK??? at Chorleywood recently I saw a dealer struggling to carry his films in, I helped with a few others to carry it in for him, walking backwards and forwards to the car park, I then went back outside and queued, not once did I snoop round and look round, why these lot are let in before it opens is beyond me, they should queue like everyone else,seen it so many times that it will never change, Mark

Graham Sinden likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

Last edited 11.22.2021 | Top

classic home cinema at blackpool 2021
The Super 8 Show!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor