Neighbourhood theatres / Alternate Versions

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:57 pm

On a films release to what were then called "neighbourhood theatres" (i.e. theatres which showed films that had ended their first runs downtown), the film's running time would be shortened.
Out of interest, has anyone heard this expression before where a lengthy movie is reduced in running time for the above reason. Personally, for the movie i am considering adding to our collection, i think it will actually make it a better movie. I will add more after viewing it tomorrow but it sounds to me like a good idea. Potentially, it would remove lengthy padding and make the movie much more repeatable.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Neighbourhood theatres / Alternate Versions

#2 by Greg Perry , Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:26 am

Tom,
This is interesting to hear. I am not aware of any alternate versions being shown here in the states, but perhaps there were. What I do know is in the US, there were independent 'dollar theatres". These theaters specialized in films that had previously been shown at the main theatres since the original release date. As newer releases pushed out these now 'older' films, the older films would head to the 'dollar theaters'. Tickets were $1 dollar, as compared to $5 to $7 dollars on first release date. These 'dollar theaters' were the last stop, before a film ended up becoming available on VHS (per the era). In some cases, one could see these films on pay cable TV, at the same time they were at the "dollar theaters". So, the thrifty folks or those who wanted to see a film again in a theater setting would frequent these "dollar theaters". As you can imagine, they no longer exist. One I was familiar with ended up being converted into a private school's gymnasium. It was great to be able to bring the kids and their friends to a movie for a discount price.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Don Cunningham

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Tom Photiou , Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:05 am

Dollar theaters?, i do like that idea. I wish we had pound theaters instead of poundland.
hopefully tonight or tomorrow i will reveal the reason for this question, but i did read up on web that these theatres, films would sometimes,(for much longer movies) be edit the running time for a movie to be shown in the '"neighbourhood theatres, as you said, after its main theatre releases but befotmre it was shown on telly or realeased on VHS. i believe this term, neighbourhood theater, is for those in the states and having read a short piece about them i was a little surprised not to have heard of them.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#4 by Don Cunningham , Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:42 pm

Ah, I recall the dollar theaters. My parents rarely took me to a movie, but the rare occasion we did go, it was a 95% chance I was told "we'll wait for it to hit the dollar theater."

On the topic of shortening films: I am aware that some territories made edits to certain film prints to adhere to their "censorship standards." If these were actually allowed by studios is unlikely, but it happened.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:10 pm

I have not heard of the name neighbourhood theatres used in this country,the term second run comes to mind from days gone by.As to the actual length of films altering after there first run and going to the smaller cinemas,all the ones I showed were as per their first run.
There was of course the films that did not get a general certificates per Don's reply and were licenced by the local authority or watch committee as it was I think,they determined the certificate and any cuts to be made,in Plymouth if I remember Ken Russell's The Devils was certified locally but as to cuts in that film not sure.
For long films,roadshow print type ,with overture play in ,intermission etc they were shown in their entirety as the director intended to the best of my knowledge.
Maybe others know different,there are stories of reels being missed out etc but that was a long time ago,I'm sure some on here could tell a story or two of their projection days when things did not go as planned and perhaps film length did get altered more by accident than design.
Obviously prints were altered for use on TV etc and if you look at the IMBD website on the technical info of a film there is usually listed all the alternate versions for different countries,16mm,check out Gone With The Wind at least six different lengths and four different aspect ratios.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#6 by Don Cunningham , Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:27 pm

Should also make note that features could also be edited to fit into double or triple bills. Sometimes the pictures were re-titled. This mostly occurred with horror/sci-fi titles, but you never know what else could have been scissored.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#7 by Barry Attwood , Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:07 am

I saw in the 1970's some Abridged titles that were put into double bills, and I remember an abridged version of Saturday Night Fever, people forget this was an "X" certificate (18 nowadays) when first released, as the music got so popular with the youngsters they re-cut it (basically took all the sex scenes and refrences out of the film) and pushed it out again, I never saw it myself, but I would imagine it might be hard to follow in some places, unless they re-filmed a couple of scenes, it got the old "A" certificate, which meant anyone could see it, but cutting an original "X" certificate down to an "A" (PG these days), must have been hard, but the kids wanted to see Travolta dance and listen to the great music in the film.

Barry Attwood  
Barry Attwood
Date registered 08.11.2015
home: Weeley, Essex, U.K.
ThankYou 50

Halloween Film Show 2021
Silenced Again on other channel

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor