Silenced Again on other channel

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:46 pm

Oh dear, ive done it again. I seemed to have upset the admin of the other channel. It's funny how people seem to get upset about the most pathetic of things isn't it?
You set up a jokes thread but only xmas cracker kids jokes are acceptable. Of course sexist or racist attack jokes are unacceptable, all i did was put up an Al Jolson joke, the wording was, Al Jolson really likes the interior of his new car and the similarity was the great big Al Jolson smile. It was taken down and then a few comments of my own opinion of the other jokes, (nothing nasty or insulting) results in a full on ban.

I also noticed that my Jurassic Park thread got a very healthy 1346 views with 44 responses, again, nothing untoward, yet the administrator, decided to pop on and wrote, "No matter who it is, they bought it, they paid for it, they can put it on eBay, its no big deal".
Who the hell said it was a big deal? I was just trying to have a debate about it, as i replied, "im not saying its a big deal". However, all along i knew who it was, and so did all the others on there but i didn't start the thread to say anything bad about the seller or the film, the thread was asking, is someone bored with it already.
keyboardtapper is LM, (i dont feel it necessary to call his name out) yes we all know who he is, he's the guy who didn't want to join in the JP thread, (his own sale) to say why the film was only marked as acceptable and not good. He also bought more than one copy of JP and will make money on the sale to buy other releases, nothing wrong with that. When i list a film i tell all, faded, fading, lines, splices emulsion scratches, sound fault etc, then people know exactly what there going to get. I also say why im selling, i.e, a double in my collection or reducing numbers etc. A few people got well techy about it. This guy has also shafted a number of buyers and tries to claim partial or full refunds, Dell will tell you that so will four others that i know. If that was my sale i would have put a link on it to encourage people, not hide during the debate.

There are also other people on forums who will buy equipment then, weeks later, decide there's something wrong with it and want money back. Ebay is a place to buy and sell but at least be fully open with descriptions, and if your a buyer, Dont leave it weeks to decide its no good. Your buying from an auction not a shop with 12 months warranty.

The superman DC comic thread recieved 1422 views and a healthy 51 responses, it was going ok until a clown came on and called me something im not, i replied, then someone else got upset so i replied to that one as well, as it was going well Osi decides to pop on with, i dont know why this threads even going on so long!! Really? Its called debate, if you dont want to join in ,dont!. Guess what, the same keyboardtapper decided to jump on with a right girly reply at the end and then low and behold, Doug jumps straight in and closes the thread to make sure i, or anyone else, couldn't reply. Absolutely no reason to have closed it and no email to me to tell me why. People arnt stupid. (well, some are )
keyboardtapper had nothing to do with that then? keyboardtapper also enjoys and arranges very good conventions for charity's and brags of their success's, he boasts how he sold some bargains to a few collectors who were over the moon, very nice, but the following weeks lists a 2 minute trailer for a Bond movie for £50 start price. Watch ebay after the conventions and see what suddenly pops up, wait till after Blackpool!!
I dont ever recall ever hearing him tell everyone how much he raises for those charities. mmmm.

All in all, a sad decision for no reason, once again, this is a people who are trying to tell you what you can and cant say. The cancel culture, and if you read a thread try to accept reasonable debate without calling the author a "whatever" because you dont like the subject or dont agree with it, best thing to do with threads you dont like is to not jump in with with pointless crap that has nothing to do with the thread in question, you may not like the reply you get back. We do all get a bit carried away sometimes but on here we dont have the patronising crap we see elsewhere so its easier to behave.

Why have i put this here? Its just to let some people, who have shown an interest, know why i wont be on the click brigade again, coz im barred , this is 100% the better forum and definatly deserves the bigger audience. some collectors dont know a good forum when they see it, If i read ass licking comments or see the word REELY being used the amount of times i see it used i will throw up. Kids stuff, it isn't what real film collectors want. We're not kids.
Long may this channel live

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 10.26.2021 | Top

RE: Silenced Again on other channel

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:07 pm

I did wonder what the joke was that had been taken down Tom , it must have been REELY REELY bad!
You will have to behave on here now😁🤪🤪🤪

Paul Browning likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#3 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:13 pm

I will mate, if you want me to send it to you, pm me, it honestly isn't offensive at all. The people i have sent it to have laughed like buggery and asked me where the racism is. they seriously cant work it out. In fact, check your phone, ive sent it to you. He took it down but it was afterwards, apparently he is telling me that my comments state that i dont accept they will not allow that kind of joke on the forum. Fine then, DONT HAVE A JOKE THREAD. Morons.
Funny thing is, he kept the Rick Mayell pumpkin joke on which i thought was quite rude, funny though.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:35 pm

Got it ,what not to find funny about it.Still there you go Tom as I said in my text maybe you are better of out of it,there loss is our extra gain.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#5 by Paul Browning , Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:48 pm

Hi Tom, sometimes these things are for the best mate, but as you say who did it offend ?, how many people complained about it, i can't work out if the picture is actually al jolson or larry parkes, playing the part blacked up, but the picture was showing a likeness of his face and the dashboard of a car, his the car being overtly racist now ?, i think not. I thought the pumpkin picture was a more risque if i'm honest ,but neither of these pictures offended me, i'm an adult, i have broad shoulders. I believe we programmed to visually recognise faces from an early age, and add to this the fact that you see a face in most things if you look long enough, hence the reason why people see "ghosts" faces in inanimate objects. As for your answer backs well if you started the thread surely your allow to answer any questioned fired at you, if don't want an answer, then don't ask the question. It looks like i 've been banned too Tom, but suspect it was sent to my old email account so i never got it, hey ho, it just appears that changing water into wine for one person is it bit over the top reaction, good hunting mate .............

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#6 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:56 pm

Why the heck were you banned? From what i saw you simply made a perfectly normal comment to my comments. You simply said something about the kids style Christmas cracker jokes with so many people losing their sense of humour. That is odd. Still, this side is much friendlier and anyone looking in should perhaps give it a try. Get away from all that nonsense with people talking to readers like they are kids, "dont forget, you must turn the plug off before you open the back of your Eumig".

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#7 by Greg Perry , Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:49 am

Hello all,

I appreciate hearing the background on all of this. I guess like anything the forum owner and moderator can decide what they are OK with on their forum. I know Doug Meltzer and he is a caring and genuinely kind person, and beyond that, a great supporter of Super 8 film. Of course, he can determine what he is comfortable with and what he finds questionable/objectionable on the FilmTech forum. I will never question or second-guess that.

When it comes to humor, it is an interesting dilemma. For example, many of the things I think are funny do not register with my wife or middle son. Yet my daughter has much the same sense of humor as I. So whatever it may be, some find a joke funny, others may find it offensive a bit or a lot a bit, or simply unfunny or dumb. I personally feel it is OK to post a joke that may not resonate with others. I know some of my own comments here have ended up as welcome as a loud fart in church, but no mean spiritedness was intended.

All forums try to achieve a certain balance to make the environment a welcoming place for any and all. I am hopeful we can share our thoughts and opinions in a way that is tolerant to everyone. Same as we would like others to be tolerant of our views and opinions, even if they don't agree with them. My position: If something strikes me as truly mean-spirited, and not an honest attempt at humor, then it is NOT welcome here. I think we all are better off with that. At the same time, there is room for every viewpoint here, and no one has to agree to one thing or the other...just be decent to each other that's all.

If we keep our focus on enjoying film as the primary intent of this forum, then we have succeeded here.

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#8 by Mark Silvester ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:28 am

Hi Tom,

just to add.

I always find your posts either here or on the other forum extremely interesting.

Always rational and informative with a good dose of humour which is greatly appreciated these days in the time we live in. :)

The points you raise are always relevant especially as you are always forthright in speaking up when it comes to letting collectors know about those who would "rip" others off. As you know I have sold many 16mm prints worth thousands over the years back in the day...I've had my share of being ripped off. Even one rare 16mm print of a British movie called "Tawny Pippit" which was blatantly stole off me as he said he never received delivery. I raised it once on the other forum as it involved a certain well known dealer and collector, D Guest, who sadly died not so long back. Thats sad... but he blatantly stole - or pretended it got lost in the U.K. post? - an extremely expensive print from me as I thought I could trust him. They view him as a saint now because of his starting up the Blackpool conventions.

I used to know him well D.Guest and spoke often before I got "burnt" by him. I remember him telling me once that sometimes he would sell certain 16mm manuals to would be buyers when he did not have enough to supply...so he said he used to tear the envelope and just send that empty...and whn the seller requested whereabouts of the manual...told them it must have been lost in the post and to claim via Royal Mail???

Thats absolutely true!

You area good man and I always remember many ears ago you sent me free of charge an optical 8mm 200ft...I never forgot that.

Take care Tom and best to all!

Mark

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Gwyn Morgan
Mark Silvester
Last edited Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:53 am | Top

#9 by Paul Barker , Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 pm

MY GOD. there are some really sad people on these forums.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#10 by Mark Silvester ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:37 pm

Hello,

I'ts nothing to do with being sad - its telling the truth...and I tell the truth.

Paul, I know you are heavily involved with Blackpool and that's surely a good thing but I'm entitled to tell people my experience...a very personal one experience that was one of the major reasons I left the 16mm hobby.

Cheers

Mark

Mark Silvester

#11 by Bill Phelps , Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:22 pm

Mark...you may well be telling the truth...but claiming that you tell the truth doesn't mean you are.

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#12 by Mark Mander , Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:09 pm

You naughty boy Tom, it's not the first time Doug has banned you and probably won't be the last, it's pathetic at times what Doug sees fit to pick up on, I think he hates the Brits, he has double standards and has been rude on a number of occasions, it just puts you off forums. I didn't see the joke but that's exactly it, it's a joke, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#13 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:35 pm

Hello Mark, good to see you,
Yes i do sometimes think there has been double standards, but i guess its done now. My recent threads on there certainly rustled up some activity and debate, well over a thousand views, and plenty of replies. one of those debates was closed for no apparent reason other than to stop me from replying to the last writer, personally, i think the timing of that closure was rather well timed if you get what im saying. However, as for the joke, i will email it to you, it is is in no way or form upsetting, racist or rude so nothing to shout home about. But i do get that the administrator's have a right to edit/delete if they are not happy with it. Sadly, it wasn't the joke i got kicked off for, it was apparently the comments i made afterward stating something in the line of, it wasn't racist, but the jokes allowed on here are, (four examples put up) and i said xmas cracker kids stuff. I thought i was just stating an opinion, it was not taken that way.
Thank you for your support.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#14 by Mark Mander , Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:39 pm

Everything has comedic value to me Tom , you dare to answer back was the problem pointing out other things that were overlooked by Doug, he doesn't like being caught out, I'm not on there anymore and he couldn't wait to delete me, he has his favourites so let them get on with it.

Mark S,
I think your forgetting that your comments about David Guest were made just after he had passed away ,I think your timing was terrible thats probably what the issue was at the time,Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#15 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:49 pm

Funny you say that, someone did make a comment to me regarding the superman thread, i answered it and it got a reaction from someone else, as i pointed out, if you make a statement, expect it to be answered, we all have an opinion, we certainly dont all agree on things, but it doesn't mean someone has a right to label someone because two people disagree.
Anyway, onwards and upward.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#16 by Greg Perry , Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:52 am

I hope we can move forward from this thread, but I did want to provide my final thoughts here on Mark's comments about David Guest.

First, Mark is entitled to his opinion on his dealings with David Guest, as are the other customers of Mr. Guest who have been happy with their interactions with him. However, what is a bit troubling to me, is that Mr. Guest, since he has sadly passed, is not able to provide his response to Mark's statements. It would have been preferrable had Mark raised these issues when Mr. Guest was around to respond to them. Perhaps Mark did, although I am not aware of that, but I am happy to be corrected.

It is good to for all of us to recognize there are different perspectives or views on most issues. Discussion between those involved directly can sometimes clear things up. Sadly, this opportunity no longer exists in this instance. So I am not sure that any good comes out of bringing this issue up now. I can say Mark's support of Tom P. looking out for others here is welcome and warrants the 'Top' rating that I gave it. Please PM me if you would like to discuss further, otherwise I will close this thread.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Neighbourhood theatres / Alternate Versions
Reel Deals....September 2021 Issue

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor