Pan and Scan vs. Letterbox vs. Scope: Hannie Caulder

#1 by Greg Perry , Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:41 pm

I am pretty sure my print of "Hannie Caulder" is Pan and Scan, as it has no black bars around it. I think Tom has a Letter-Boxed print of the same title. IMDB indicates the ratio for this title was 2.35 to 1, which I believe is Scope/Widescreen. Of course, Letter-boxed or Scope would generally be preferred, but I was more than happy with this print.

I have never seen this movie before on any format, nor on TV, so I really didn't know what I was missing in terms of aspect ratio loss. The three evil brothers are portrayed well by the actors. Christopher Lee portrays an expert gun maker and the Robert Culp character provides accurate information about gunfighting to Hannie while he is training her. Raquel actually does a nice job, and looks great in a cowboy hat. 👍

The print has awesome low-fade color and is in really nice condition. Here are a few pictures:

The following members like this: Don Cunningham, Gwyn Morgan and Paul Browning

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 10.26.2021 | Top

RE: Pan and Scan vs. Letterbox vs. Scope: Hannie Caulder

#2 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 pm

Greg, that is a very good print and great colours too.
Mine is letterboxed and is in good shape but mine does have a single jump splice on reel two, which is fine. I was going to get a few minutes made up but you could go on forever and spend fortunes getting a few minutes here and there made up for every film with few frames missing.
This film was actually released a a 4 x 400ft scope feature from Walton as well as the 4:3. Unfortunatly, it is quite hard to come by but also has a fair amount cut from there feature. I much prefer the full uncut 16mm print.
Well done on this one and thanks for sharing your screenshots. It is very much, an underrated British made western with a great cast. Raquel Welsh is not the best actress but is very nice to look at .
The make cast does have some excellent actors.

Greg Perry likes this
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:52 pm

Very nice looking print you have there Greg,not one I have seen around very much except on a 400 cutdown.I think it’s very much swing and roundabouts regarding pan and scan/ letterbox.Having the film is the important part I feel ,wonderful if you can get a scope print of a scope film like Zulu etc ,but I have a leterbox of Out of Africa which was a scope release and the black lines don’t bother me personally.Having a full version in whatever ratio is better than nothing.
Nothing like a good western.

Greg Perry likes this
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#4 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:07 pm

This western has everything, a bit of violence, some good comedy and a very nice leading lady. Its also good to see Christopher Lee in a different role form his norm at the time, mid 70s. Sadly, the critical response wasn't very good, had this film had been made by Hollywood, i suspect the results may have been different.

Obviously a full blown scope 16mm print with this kind of colour would always be preferred, my letterboxed print is very good in that on a scope screen with the right lens i can open it up to semi fill the widescreen, this obviously give a more scope impression, but as Gwyn said, your unfaded 4:3 print is just perfect, a good film wont have you sitting there wishing it was scope, it will entertain you, and this film does it well.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 10.26.2021 | Top

DEATH BECOMES HER
The Blues Brothers. Another probable return

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor