eBay listings that won't go away

#1 by Martin Dew , Mon May 10, 2021 10:59 am

Does anyone else find it irritating that the same Super 8 and 16mm film listings appear on eBay week-after-week, if not year-after-year? We all know about the infamous £5k print of Hands of the Ripper(!), but is it simply because some dealers can't be bothered to find out what the market value is for the films they're trying to sell? As a seller, I would just want to offload the stuff once I'd decided to get rid of it.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Don Cunningham, Gwyn Morgan and Robert Crewdson
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

RE: eBay listings that won't go away

#2 by Tom Photiou , Mon May 10, 2021 2:29 pm

I find it funny more than irritating Martin, i just dont get the mentality of the people making these repeated listings. Why the hell do they even think anyone would be dumb enough to pay £5000 for a 400ft reel of film. The funniest one is the 400ft Texas chainsaw that crops up now and again from the same seller, it even states it has scratches, damage to the film, and pinking. The guy is either a complete imbecile or has no idea about what he is selling. Either way, i guess you need some entertainment while browsing.

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Gwyn Morgan and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Don Cunningham , Mon May 10, 2021 3:23 pm

I find it humorous, and sad, in a way.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Martin Dew and Robert Crewdson

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon May 10, 2021 3:37 pm

I find eBay got rather boring,got to agree with all the comments so far what really gets me is when you have non related stuff in with the listing,like 16 m wall plugs,or woman’s cloths etc just because somewhere,someone’s sale says 16mm.
eBay going a bit silly over prices as well must be pricing some people out of the market,don’t think it’s very good for someone new starting out.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Robert Crewdson

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Greg Perry , Mon May 10, 2021 4:39 pm

I definately agree with all of the statements above. I am of the thinking that if an item hasn't sold after twice listing it, then the price needs to come down. I haven't sold on ebay for many months, but that is how I personally operate. Not sure why the sellers can't reach the conclusion their price is must be too high if there are no takers. A bit discouraging if the seller is keeping an over-priced item listed in the hopes that some "newbie" or ignorant person foolishly overpays for it. To me, there is zero satisfaction in ripping someone off....

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#6 by Tom Photiou , Mon May 10, 2021 5:23 pm

If you end up getting a name for yourself you not likely to make many sales. The problem with ebay is that it's very easy to close down and then start again with a new user name.
Don makes a very good point, it is, in a way also sad. Sad that the seller isn't able to see that what he/she is doing simply isn't working.
If i remember correctly, Maurice mentioned that the seller isnt necessarily wanting to sell a film, but works on the principle that if someone should bid a ridiculous sum of money he is willing to let it go. If that is the case, then only a complete nut job would pay that price, therefore, keep on listing at such a stupid prices, hoping for one silly sale, is actually making an otherwise good seller look like a nutter.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by Martin Dew , Mon May 10, 2021 8:08 pm

Very good points, Tom.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#8 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Tue May 11, 2021 7:59 am

As I never sell on ebay, I'm not sure about the policy of re-listing items, obviously it cannot cost them anything to re-list an item, so there's one problem straight away, if sellers can continually re-list items with no cost against the seller, there's no impotous to change anything, if ebay charged them every time for re-listing, then that might get the sellers thinking, although knowing the mentality of some of the sellers on there, I doubt if it would do any good!

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Tom Photiou
Barry Attwood

#9 by Robert Crewdson , Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 am

It's many years since I sold anything on Ebay; they used to charge you for listings. Occasionally they would bring out free listings for a limited time, now it seems permanent. It was annoying in the beginning that your item didn't sell, but it still cost you money.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#10 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 11, 2021 2:32 pm

I guess the listers that over price by these silly amounts give a bit more attention to normal listers.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

no more film sales for now ...........
Filmguard

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor