Elf projectors given a service

#1 by Mark Mander , Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:51 pm

I've been working on these today and I'm feeling guilty because it's been a long time since I last used them, one is a very late RM1 manual load which I've had for many years and is the quietest Elf I've ever heard, it was my main machine for some time, the second is an NT1 with auto load which I bought as a second machine for features along with the RM. I bought a couple of Elmo CLs and put the Elfs in the cupboard, the Elmo's are so easy to use and run very quietly but the sound is better with more control on the Elfs.

Both machines you could tell have been sat unused for a while as both sets of arms were stiffer than they should be to raise, all the plastic rollers turned freely but I cleaned and lubed them, both lens rubbers are good, the back came off to reveal still soft grease so a wipe over and re grease was all that's needed, they both are running well so I've decided the next few films will be run on them, Mark.

RM1

NT1

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Martin Dew and Eivind Mork
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

RE: Elf projectors given a service

#2 by Tom Photiou , Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:28 pm

I like these machines, very simple to work on unless of course you undo something you shouldn't
When i played with the SL2 i undid the two screws holding the scope lens holder on and before i realised it was connected directly to the gate it was too late. I undid the correct adjustments. As much as i tried, i couldn't get the adjustment right so it ran very noisy after a few hundred feet of film. It ended up being sent to Kevin Brown. Now its back i have two very good Eiki's, the NT1 thanks to Hugh Scott who kindly sent me one he no longer used and it runs perfectly.
Yours look in very good condition Mark.

The following members like this: Mark Mander and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Mark Mander , Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:13 pm

I like them too Tom and they are lovely machines, I only put them to one side as I said because of the Elmo CL purchases, getting them out today made me terribly guilty as they both behaved themselves and performed as they always have, both are in very nice order, I'll be using them more often.

At least you got it sorted Tom and that's how we learn with all this old equipment, you may have been able to do the repair by having a go but not on this occasion but at least you had a go, weve all been there and good that we have back up when it comes to repairs still, Mark

Greg Perry likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

Last edited 02.02.2021 | Top

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:14 pm

Great machine’s these are Mark here is a pic of mine which has my conversion to long play.This pic was from a while back with the top pay out arm removed and replaced by a long play arm with the take up on to a separate motorised arm attached to projector stand.

Good for complete feature but still able to take a 1600 reel as a stand alone machine without separate take up
These Elf are so good to work on too.

The following members like this: Mark Mander, Greg Perry, Martin Dew and Tom Photiou

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#5 by Mark Mander , Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:46 pm

Looks great Gwyn, that long play set up is superb too , very handy, Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander