The Guns Of Navarone

#1 by Eivind Mork , Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:55 pm

SUper 8, 400' color and sound.

Well it was color, but it red now. This is one of the Columbia digests with commentary. I guess how bad you think that is depends if you know the film well or not. If you do, it is very frustrating to listen to it. If you don't know the film I guess it helps a bit, but it does remove you from watching a film and rather make the feeling of watching a documentary.

I read the book many years ago at my Alistair MacLean period in my early adulthood. I liked the film, but I liked the film of Where Eagles Dare, one of his other books, way better.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: The Guns Of Navarone

#2 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:17 pm

This 400ft version is a subject i always enjoy. I love this feature film and one of our first ever STD 8 films was the b/w 200ft silent films. It was also my first attempt to record sound from the feature film off the telly a cassette player, edit the sound to suit the film. It was great when it worked.
Move on many years later and out came the 400 Jumbo Giant version, the very one Eivind has and a very full 400ft reel it was, I was so looking forward to it until i saw it!!!
Good film, but that narrator killed it flat dead, (only our opinion). I was also surprised to see that a couple of decent scenes in the 200ft version were missing from the re edited 400 footer, quality was good but the amount of narration just made it almost laughable for us, not quite as bad a the 400 ft version of Straight Jacket but a close second.
I wonder if any of the full feature rental prints still exist?

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Batman: The Movie, 1966 Trailer
The Sands Of Iwo Jima

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor