Interesting numbers

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed May 13, 2020 9:08 pm

This is what happens when you have a few spare minutes.
This site has 273 members and over 100 have a post/points entry of 0.
I’m sure there is good reason for this but I wonder why people bother.
Anyway just an observation 📽📽

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Tom Photiou and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

RE: Interesting numbers

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 13, 2020 10:03 pm

You frequently get new people signing up, and never hear from them. I'm supposing that they do at least own 1 projector and a few films. Seems like they have nothing to say , either new, or commenting on other's posts. It's still down to about 6 or maybe a few more who keep the forum going.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Greg Perry , Thu May 14, 2020 2:02 am

Yes, the folks who post here are definitely limited in number. I think there are a fair amount of "lurkers" who visit the site, read posts and may even enjoy the forum--but will not post for whatever the reason. That is fine too, although I think we all agree the more collectors that post, the more enjoyable the site is. I admit I was a "lurker" for quite a while before I finally felt like I could add something to the conversation.....

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Tom Photiou , Thu May 14, 2020 1:22 pm

I think its a shame that so many from the other channel wont even just do maybe one or two itms on here, or(at the very least)just simply do a like (or not like) which would indicate that they are looking.
I was looking through my own (limited) elmo items i use to do in the magazines. I would put some on here but rewritten in English () but ive held back at present for fear of repeating and turning members off the forum.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 pm

I did wonder who would comment and the faithful few did,thank you.
Maybe,just maybe others will read this and decide to join in who knows?
Now back to film things.📽📽📽

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 275

#6 by Mark Silvester ( deleted ) , Sun May 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi all,

after many years being out of 16mm and 8mm collecting and focusing primarily on video projecting I have decided to dabble a bit again in "reel" film collecting. 8mm to start with.

I used to have an extensive 16mm collection for many years with amazing titles.

Anyway I hope to post from time to time and want to congratulate you on a really good forum - passionate and the love of the hobby as demonstrated by the most interesting posts is reallly nice to see.

Im currently a front-line member with the NHS in the U.K. (mental Health services). Rather busy at the moment but I hope to post whn I can.

Best to all.

Mark Silvester

(formerly Silvoscreen)

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Del Phillipson and Gwyn Morgan
Dave Baker does not like this!
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Silvester

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun May 24, 2020 12:37 pm

It'l be good to see you posting Mark, i would be interested to know which 16mm proctors you use .

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#8 by Robert Crewdson , Sun May 24, 2020 12:48 pm

Welcome to the forum Mark; would be interesting to hear what 16mm titles passed through your hands.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#9 by Eivind Mork , Sun May 24, 2020 1:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, Mark! Great to see you here!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#10 by Mark Silvester ( deleted ) , Mon May 25, 2020 6:11 pm

Hi all,

when I was into 16mm I had at various times - a P7 and a P8 ; a variety of Elf/ Eikis NTs and slotloader; B and Howells as well.

My favorite was the mint P7 I had followed closely by the Bell and Howell that I had with a professionally fitted "new" worm gear.

I found the B&H very good in regard to handling rough prints with sprocket damage and sometimes fragile prints with its 3 claw. The P7 was equally good.

I did like the Elfs but was never keen on its ruthless 2 claw...with pristine prints they were good though.

As for prints...her were a few titles I had acquired - all gone now though.

"Curse of Frankenstein" (IB), Wjite Christmas (Kodachrome and the best colour I have ever seen!, Rosemarys Baby (IB), View to a Kill(LPP), Godfather 3(LPP), Traffic(LPP), Robocop(LPP), Raiders of the Lost Ark(LPP) All three back to the Future films(LPP), Planes, Trains and Automobiles(LPP), Greatest Story Ever Told(LPP), Close Encounters (LPP), Way of the Dragon, One Million Years BC, (LPP), Legend of the Lost( IB, lovely print), Young Sherlock Holmes(LPP), Most of the Carry on all original, I also had a very large amount of the Twilight Zone episodes but some had vinegar, The Innocents( 1961) brilliant print, This Sporting life, Waterloo Rd, lots of the BFI rail films with superb colour, The Shootist, Cockleshell Heroes (IB), The Leopard Man,, Passport to Pimlico, a lot of the original George Reeve "Superman" episodes with superb colour, Elvis On Tour with both an optical and a magnetic track,This is Elvis, , lots of Laurel and Hardy, "Ten Little Ni...ers" (And then there were none), (this was a very rare original print of the Rene Clair classic with the original un/pc title, Night of the Hunter (fab original print), Funny Lady (IB), Expresso Bongo, Rocky 3,(LPP), Some original Dads army BBC 16mm episodes, Steptoe and Son Ride Again, many cartoons, I also had a few original World of Sport, telecine, Wrestling shows, She, (IB), Yellow Submarine(LPP), Hard Days Night (original), Secret of Nihm, Dracula, (1931). A and C meet Frankenstein,The Mummys Hand, Bullit, Amazing Mr Blunden, Muppet episodes, Will Hay, "My Learned Friend", lots of the US series "Fame" (LPP), Night at the Opera, Star is Born (Garland, ) The World of Abbott and Costello, House of Dracula, The Bobo, (IB),I also purchased a lot of the original Lucy and Heres Lucy shows as well,...there was many more...the above were all top quality...I had a lot of dupes along the way and my fair share of vinegar..good times...space was an issue tho. Lol

Mark

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Gwyn Morgan
Mark Silvester

#11 by Tom Photiou , Mon May 25, 2020 6:58 pm

Blimy Mark.some superb titles there. If you still had them all now you'd be sitting on a firtune.
May i ask if you still have 16mm films?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#12 by Robert Crewdson , Mon May 25, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks for taking the trouble to write those titles down. an amazing collection. Classics both old and new. I think you had something for everybody there.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#13 by Greg Perry , Tue May 26, 2020 1:15 am

Mark,

I can only think of how many enjoyable evenings you must have had over the years with your collection of films....I am glad you are still connected with the magic that film brings...even when our collections have perhaps been reduced or sold off, isn't it great that the enjoyment of watching true film is still in our minds?

I just got a few small films in the mail yesterday and I am looking forward to screening them soon.....

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#14 by Mark Silvester ( deleted ) , Tue May 26, 2020 9:00 am

Hi all,

yes I can remember all those films coming with great fondness...and subsequently moving them on..it was exciting times and especially the tactile nature of the actual "movie" being there - every single picture on those reels marvelous!

Thats why I started to dabble a little in 8mm..just got a basic chinon and a couple of shorts to begin with.
I really do enjoy the chatting and discussion about the hobby...I really do enjoy the memories.

I always remember as a kid I got nearly as much enjoyment looking through all those wonderful movie catalogs - especially the mailmaster "bumper" lists that they always "rushed" you. Lol

Great days!

P.S guys I'm pretty basic on the equipment level at the moment and could really do with a spare 400" empty spool as I only have one. Is there anyone who could sell me one - just a basic 400" empty spool.

I hope to post a lot more - and you never know..16mm might call again as it was my favourite!!

For anyone wanting to contact me personally my email is - marksilvester55@icloud.com

P.S. I have somewhere a wonderful CD that when I ran my "Silvo- Screen" forum back in 2005 a great guy from the USA kindly sent me. He is no longer with us but it is a cd with thousands of quality movie posters from the history of cinema and small posters on. Ill have to dig it out at some time.

Take care.

Mark.

Mark Silvester

#15 by Mark Silvester ( deleted ) , Tue May 26, 2020 9:09 am

Hi all,

If I find this disc I'm happy to send it free of charge to an individual member on this forum. They could make copies s for the members here.

I dont have a means to copy the disc and I already have the content on my old P.C. There are some fantastic posters and stuff on it..

Take care - stay safe.

Mark (NHS)

Mark Silvester

#16 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 am

Mark,
Welcome return,as said some wonderful films in your previous collections.
Sometimes its good to have a break and come back with perhaps a new perspective on things.
Look forward to hearing more.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 275

#17 by Robert Crewdson , Tue May 26, 2020 10:41 am

Reminds me of when I was a schoolboy, and owning a film collection was something I wanted in the future. I used to pick up the free Walton catalogue from Dixons and look through it on the bus home, all those wonderful L&H shorts that we saw on TV; also used to buy Exchange & Mart every week and look at the adverts for Cinema Club. One could only dream then. Wasn't it exiting when you got your very first film (silent), and saw a moving picture in your own home, and the next exiting chapter was when you got your first sound film.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#18 by Mark Silvester ( deleted ) , Tue May 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi all,

yes, I also remember the pictures of the wonderful box art, especially in the Mountain catalogue I had around 1973. I remember the Walton being a nice one too.

Can anyone remember "Scientific and Technical" ?.

I too Robert, used to get Exchange and Mart. Great times!

P.S. I've got a nice "400 now so I can start spooling up.

Take care and stay safe all.

Mark

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou
Mark Silvester

Strange law of 1971
Trouble with the other forum

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor