The Thirty Nine Steps optical feature.

#1 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:09 am

Something I haven't done for a long time was run two features in one night, it was into the early hours before I finished but I wanted to give the Fujicascope a good run and as it has optical sound capability I decided to run the third of the 39 Steps I own. Colour has faded but its still pretty good on screen for this optical title. Robert Powell stars as Richard Hanney and this version was the first one I saw so I remember it fondly.Mark.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Del Phillipson
Mark Mander

RE: The Thirty Nine Steps optical feature.

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Looks a nice film Mark such a shame so many optical prints have faded over the years.I have half a dozen optical prints all have some degree of fade now,all mine were ex airline prints.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#3 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Yes Gwyn it is a shame , I've had a few over the years that look great colour wise, it really is pot luck with them, when you consider something like the Fourth Protocol and Over the Top being later 80's films and now faded , they were never printed to last so the film stock used didn't matter, they had short runs of projection so they used whatever they had at the time, if your lucky some just have a brownish look while others are red now, A Fish Called Wanda is a lovely print image and colour wise as a rule, looks like a very good 16mm print.

My Walton 400 footer of The Thirty Nine Steps is lovely, it's a shame my optical print doesn't look the same, it's about the best print colour wise I've seen though as most are quite reddish now, £15 for it and at the time I didn't expect any colour on it, you will probably pay more for the 400ft Walton now,Mark

Mark Mander

#4 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:04 pm

The condition of the print looks really good, we had a few of the optical prints over the years, spaceballs, crocodile Dundee and one of my favourite films, The Bounty with Antony Hopkins.
At the time they all had very good colours but all had edits for general viewing which really gripes my bollocks. The one i always wanted but was glad i never bought it was A fish called Wanda. The edits in that must have took away so much of the comedy. Aside that, one in particular, Croc Dundee had a lot of hiss and pops on the track.
This version of The 39 steps is one i have never watched but i will now make sure i do as soon as i get the chance.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 04.21.2020 | Top

Aces High 400ft
The 39 Steps 1959 colour feature

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor