RCA Hollywood Star

#1 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:17 pm

I have had one of these projectors for a long time and it is my favourite. Easy to thread and unload film, very quiet, kind to film, beautiful valve amp, separate bass and treble controls and optical and magnetic sound. Apart from all it's features it's such a beautiful looking machine AND built in the UK.
However one thing I have noticed lately is that sometimes I get whistles and screeches from the amp, but strangely when I turn the pilot lamp on and off it disappears and the sound is fine again. The pilot lamp must be on the amplifier circuit because the lamp only works if the amplifier is switched on. Any ideas what might be causing this?

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Terry Sills

RE: RCA Hollywood Star

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Nice machines these had two of them over the years,sadly long gone.So easy to thread and well built I always thought.
Like the scope bracket never had one on mine.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:45 pm

That looks built to last; I didn't know they manufactured these in England. I was actually more interested in trying to read the titles of your films, not much luck there.
Have you seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4H-H0EA-48

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#4 by Greg Perry , Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Terry,

Thank you for posting these pics of your classic projector...so much more well built back in the day...nice to see an example of quality manufacturing.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:35 am

Robert
Thanks for that video. It shows just how quick and easy it is to load film. The British design is very similar but I actually prefer it to the US version. The only downside is that the reel arms both have to be screwed onto the main frame, very easy to do, but it meant that because they were meant to be stored in the speaker cabinet they often went missing if the owner forgot to do it. This was the case when I first acquired mine but fortunately I was given two pairs by a fellow forum member, so I have a spare set.

Terry Sills

#6 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:19 am

The early B&H projectors had to have the arms screwed down to the case, then were stored inside after.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#7 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:08 pm

Came across this: Whistling Amp. ... A: Several things could cause this, but we would be willing to bet that you have a tube amp, and that one of the preamp tubes is going bad. What's happening is that once the problem tube is thoroughly warmed up, the noise is abating.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#8 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:33 pm

That is a lovely looking machine Terry, A good well built machine, and as already said, clearly built to last. May i ask how old the machine is and do you do your own servicing etc?

If todays kids,(Teens/young adults) are so much into all things retro, it doesn't get any better than this.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 04.17.2020 | Top

#9 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Robert
Yes it is a valve amp so could be a worn valve, but why does switching the pilot light on/off cure the problem.
Tom
I'm guessing the projector dates from late '50's and yes I do my own servicing. It requires very little other than one or two drops of oil at a single oil hole which feeds all the relevant parts. Anything more serious can be easily accessed by removing the outer metal panels which make a strip down fairly simple. It is a very sturdy well designed and well built machine and no special tools needed to do any work. On top of that I think it has such an iconic look. A few years ago I had a chance to buy an RCA Hollywood from John Ferrari that had been converted to 9.5mm. I kick myself now for not buying it. It was used once to do the film show at a Harpenden event. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Robert Crewdson likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Terry Sills

URGENT: 16mm Hammer Search
Disassembly and Cleaning of the Eiki 50mm f/1.2 Lens

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor