Stripes with Bill Murray and gel filters

#1 by Greg Perry , Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:25 pm

A couple of nights ago I watched the film "Stripes". One of my favorite comedies starring Bill Murray, the late John Candy, the late Harold Ramis, John Laroquette... Unfortunately this one is on Kodak SP stock and has faded. I used two different blue gel filters and, whilst there are some trade-offs when using these, I was pleased with how they worked. Some light wear on the print, decent sharpness but not pin sharp, but it is the uncut version....

The kit I bought from ebay was about $20 USD, and included a plastic lens cup where you can insert the lens gel(s)(fit to an Elmo 16mm lens size), and three different blue gel filters. There is another size available for Eiki too. I was using an Eiki projector and so used a bit of tape to keep the different lens size cup tight to the front of the objective.

Here are some pics....In lighter scenes, there was a bit of a bluish tinge to my eyes, as well as a bit less brightness, but again the 'win' was better overall colors...I would definitely recommend using the gel filters. Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic without the filters to show the 'Before' filter version....

Douglas Warren likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Stripes with Bill Murray and gel filters

#2 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 pm

Stripes is one of my favourites. I would love to get a copy of that one, derann did put out a super 8 trailer which very rarely comes up these days.
Your screen shots look pretty good to me, i know your using gels but it certainly seems to work fine on that one.
What i do have is a special edition on the shiny disc which includes around 15 minutes plus of deleted scenes, these have now been put back into the movie.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Greg Perry , Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:01 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback...I wasn't aware of the special edition shiny disc--that will be on the next Amazon order for me...

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#4 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Greg,
have you tried using a yellow filter as well as the blue?. I don't use any filters, I found that I spent so much time experimenting, and not really satisfied with any combination, that I was missing the film. Plus, filters cut down on the light reaching the screen, also, if they are not optical quality, the image is not so sharp. I just watch it as it comes. Watching a red film is not as bad as some would imagine. you're watching the action on the screen, not worrying about what colours you are missing. In the beginning I found a blue filter looked good, and I think this is because it made the sky look blue, therefore giving the appearance of normality, although it wasn't normal. If you have or can get a yellow filter, I think you would notice a slight further improvment.

Would be interesting to see some shots without the filters, as my 2 films with SP have held up well.

Greg Perry likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 04.07.2020 | Top

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:51 pm

A great film, nice to have in your collection.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

Last edited 04.08.2020 | Top

#6 by Greg Perry , Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:32 am

Hi Robert,

Yes, It may have been here in the past that someone mentioned the use of yellow filters as well as the blue (I can't quite remember)....I may have a yellow filter for a 35mm film camera and will check and try it out if I do. I suppose it will be a different combination that works for one film or another based on the level of fade. I guess I can make a note on the film can as to what works so I can remember what to use when next screened.

I will post a few 'Before' pics, and confirm if film stock is SP or regular Eastman. Despite the trade-offs of altered color palette and less bright image, I much preferred the film with the filters than without.....But as you say, it does require a bit of testing and experimentation...

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#7 by Douglas Warren , Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:09 am

Was the seller of the lens cap and filters located in Ohio Greg? If so, I’ve bought several of these from him. A nice item that works well.

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

#8 by Greg Perry , Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi Doug,

Yes, it is the ebay seller 'hoserjewl' from Ohio whom I bought the lens filters/plastic lens cup from....

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

Heads I kill You TailsYour Dead
A Force of One

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor