The Living Daylight. James Bond. Flat theatrical print.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Tonight we viewed one of our two latest 16mm big buys. The first, as many now know, was Saturday night fever, this one has now been returned and a no quibble refund has been sorted.

The other is the 007 Timothy Dalton Bond movie, The Living Daylights. Having already judged that the print was going to be a pile of poo, i am pleased to say, i was wrong. It isn't perfect, the pre title sequence had a centre line for a few minutes, with a couple of thin black lines all of which come and go. In the images i have tired to show the worst. This is an LPP polyester print with A1 pin sharp image and first class sound as most 16mm prints are.
As per many 16mm's, the first 10/20 feet of reels 2 and 3 have the usual rough around the edges marks and these very quickly clear up. Reel two is fine with just a couple of light lines that only appear for a few moments. Reel three does have a couple of light black lines which again, appear and dissapear with the second half of reel 3 being almost mark three.
When i was cleaning this film i used a magnifying glass to inspect it and could have swore there heavy lines but it does look as though i was wrong. We will keep this one for a few years at least and pleased to say, "i was wrong".
It certainly relives the pain and disappointment of the other film that went back.

Attached pictures:
JB1 (48).jpg  

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry, Iman Yahya, Del Phillipson and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: The Living Daylight. James Bond. Flat theatrical print.

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:36 pm

Looking good Tom glad this print turned out Ok.I did like Timothy Dalton as Bond.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#3 by Greg Perry , Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:31 am

Tom,
We can sure tell why you reacted the way you initially did--that green line in the opening credits is right down the middle!

Glad to hear the green line went away quickly. I would agree that if the line in the middle was present for most of the film I would have returned it also. I can tolerate a bit of heavier wear at the beginning of the reels, if things clear up quickly and the price of the print is appropriate....

Looks to be a super great title to add to the collection--is this the first Bond in the Photiou Brothers film archive?

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 am

Phew!! So glad your pleased with it Tom, looks great.

I wouldn't say you were "wrong" either just judging by what you first saw that's all, a Russian roulette dealer and luckily this time the bang didn't go off,like James Bond you dodged a bullet, well done Mark.

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander
Last edited Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:20 am | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Thank you all,

Greg, Yes this is our first James Bond movie. Like Gwyn, i did think timothy Dalton was a great Bond, it was a shame he didn't do more than two.
Many years ago i had a chance to buy License to kill in scope but at the time, didn't have the dosh to go ahead. A scope bond would be great.

I did react to the first ten minutes but after Saturday night fever coming from the same collection, i did think it was going to be a repeat. Thankfully not though.

BTW, the only reason for so many images on this one was to show them all the way through the film to show this genuinely is a good print so no one thought, "yeah right"

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Del Phillipson
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 11.22.2019 | Top

The Kentucky Fried Movie, 1977. Director John Landis
The Man in the Iron Mask (1939)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor