Weird sync problem, then gone!

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:41 pm

When i bought our scope copy of Kidnapped from Dave Guest a few years ago we were quite excited to put it on. At that time my only 16mm machine was my old Eiki NT1, this is the one i had to pull apart and play with due to all sorts of unsteady image problems. Once it was up and running everything seemed ok as it does today.
First of all the point here is that our print, reviewed here today, is absolutely fine, a great print with no problems. This was only it's second viewing.
Upon first viewing reel two got half way through, suddenly, around 10 minutes from the end of the reel, (at Gordon Jackson's first scene), it went of of sync until the end of that reel. We were well peed off, it was quite a bit out too. At a guess, around a second out. There was no splice/joins, no damaged sprocket holes, the print is actually in very good condition. We put it down to a fault on the sound.

Last night when i viewed it we looked at timing the out of sync part in order to get a repair section, BUT, it went the the SLT2 with no sync problems at all. In fact it was perfect in every way. It's not happened with any other film hence why we thought it was a fault.

How can this happen? anyone?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 10.11.2019 | Top

RE: Weird sync problem, then gone!

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Tom,I had a problem on my machine and it turned out to be the sound drum not revolving freely enough.It was revolving but not freely and I took the whole drum and it’s spindle apart ,cleaned,oiled and replaced did the complete cleaning job and now ok.Maybe something just caused the sound drum to slow for the last ten mins and as the film finished and went out of the projector it “cleaned/moved “ whatever was causing the distortion.
If I think of anything else let you know😁📽

Looking for Reel1 “SERPICO”

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#3 by Paul Browning , Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi Tom, I'm not familiar with this 16mm projector but this may be of help. When derann were still trading and Derek was still with us, I made him a new slitting wheel from high speed steel, as a thank you he asked if there was a film I was after, so I said yes "the chimp " L & H on super 8, with in a week he had got me a copy. I thanked him and home I went to get it on. At that time I had an elmo st800, which had played everything before no problem, but there was sync problem with this film on the elmo. I went back following week to tell Derek, I just felt a little awkward, but Derek grabbed a gs to check it, and sure enough it was still out of sync, what he did next was to get a bic ball point a flick to top loop out more, which fixed the sync problem instantly. So what I am suggesting is that this could be your problem too, the loop former on the top is not quite right, I 'm not saying flick with your bic pen, but it found the problem first attempt.....

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#4 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:45 pm

Thanks for your replies. I have flicked loops once or twice on the 8mm projectors though im sure this must put some stress on the claw.
I think Gwyns explanation on the slowing sound drum may possibly be the answer.ive never seen that happen before but i guess the good news is that our print of kidnapped is indeed not faulty as we thought.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

New insert for Waterloo in scope
A Few of Castle’s 16mm Releases

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor