Airport 80

#1 by Eivind Mork , Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:51 pm

2x400', color and sound.

My film is mounted on a 800' reel. The color has faded a lot, but there are traces of blue here and there. I watched it with a blue gel.

Kevin Harrison (Robert Wagner), a corrupt arms dealer, attempts to destroy an American-owned Concorde on its maiden flight after one of the passengers, reporter Maggie Whelan (Susan Blakely), learns of his weapons sales to communist countries during the Cold War. A bit fascinating that the plane had to be American owned as all planes in reality were British and French :-)

A new missile in active testing is reprogrammed in secrecy to destroy the Concorde with the journalist on board. Great flying by the pilots and with help of interceptor jets, they get away from the missile. A second attempt to destroy the Concorde with the journalist on board. The electronics are changed to open the cargo door in mid flight. This creates a huge pressure drop and the plane starts to disintegrate. An emergency landing is necessary, and they land in the mountains on a hill with snow. After the landing, the plane is covered with snow and start to collapse. With the help of people on the outside the passengers get out before the plane explodes. Harrison then commit suicide.

Not the best film according to critics. I haven't seen the full feature, but I think it works well as a digest, just as the other Airport movies. The story is simple to understand even if large parts are omitted in the digest. It is still exciting to see the action scenes.

The film was watched when the room wasn't completely dark, so the contrast was a bit better than on the screenshots.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and David Ollerearnshaw

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: Airport 80

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Most do not like this, but I love it. Watched it hundreds of times, as this was one I had back in the days

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#3 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:34 pm

One I enjoy. Looney Tunes with Wagner as Wiley E Coyote.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Greg Perry likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#4 by Don Cunningham , Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:40 pm

I've never seen this one (although a fan of '77 myself), but as to the far out sounding plot I may just have to seek this out.

Eivind Mork likes this

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

Benny Goodman In Concert
Carry on Emmanuelle

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor