Derann Ad reel 18, (or at least i think it is)

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:18 pm

This was an ad reel i picked up a few years back for a song. It was advertised as advert reel 18 and is actually in the box with this title on it. however, its a great little reel but the leader is spliced on and this one opens with the odeon Intermission title which is a great little item on its own. I sat through this many times growing up.
This then goes into the adverts of which i have put up some images. Starting with the Orangutan Sunkist orange ad, a peanuts ad, coke, Lyons maid ice cream, a king cone advert and then, spliced in the middle for some reason is a pearl and dean opener, then we have a funny ad for fresh cream cakes with Les Dawson and his side kick, Martini Bianco, Gordon's Gin and classic castle maine xxxx lager, John Smiths Yorkshire bitter then another fresh cream cake ad with the brilliant Kenneth Williams, "naughty but nice" slogan. Finishing up with the pearl and dean closer.
Quality is pretty good as always although the sound, while very good, isn't up to the normal standard of some of the Derann ad reels. This is a great little reel and i think, (though i could be wrong), the odeon intermission may be from elsewhere, i will need to put it in some kind of order as having the P & D opener in mid reel is simply weird.
Could anyone else confirm the running order of this reel? The only splices are where that opener has been put mid way and the odeon title at the start. The rest is splice free.
No fade on this reel with just a couple of light lines.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 02.26.2019 | Top

RE: Derann Ad reel 18, (or at least i think it is)

#2 by Stuart Reid , Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:53 pm

Can ANYONE give me a clue as to who released that Imtermission that is spliced into Tom's reel? I have been desperately searching for a super 8 print of it for years, in fact I wasn't even sure it existed in 8mm! Any help at all in tracking down a copy would be hugely appreciated.

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#3 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:23 am

I did wonder if it was part of another ad reel Stuart.
As soon as that music comes on it takes me right back to the days of the drake and odeon cinemas here in Plymouth.
Another one i would love to find is the one which had a short montage of movie snippets within film frames to music and ended with come back soon.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Last edited 02.28.2019 | Top

#4 by Stuart Reid , Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:49 pm

The Drake was a cracking cinema Tom, still brings the hairs up on the back of my neck when I think about it. Its funny how our early experiences have such an effect on us. That Intermission film has always stayed with me. I found a 35mm copy last year but unless I can get it scanned and a print made it's not much use!

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#5 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:21 pm

I loved the Drake, especially before it was converted in to a three screen.
I will take a look in my old Derann catalouges later and see if it mentions it in any of the other scope reels.

Stuart Reid sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Derann Ad reel 17
Derann Ad reel 9

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor