Backyard 16mm Trailer Explosion...

#1 by Greg Perry , Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Last night I had a great time attending a real 16mm film show at the "Casket Arts Cinema" in Minneapolis, MN. This event showcased over 120 movie trailers/TV spots which had been hand selected and spliced together by curator/collector Mark Har.

These were mostly 1970's low-budget movies which would often be shown at "drive-in's" or theaters aimed at specific market segments of the movie going public.
While many were somewhat faded, I was pleasantly surprised by how many had nice color. These trailers represented horror, biker, kung fu,
Blaxploitation, Crime, R-rated sexy young women type stuff, and sci-fi.

The two projectors used were an Eiki and a Bell&Howell with about a 25-30 foot throw, and with nice amplified/equalized sound with speakers at the front, and shown on a white wall which all worked out just fine. There were over 25 people attending, with 1/3 of them in their 50-60's, and the other 2/3's were early 30's. Free popcorn and hotdogs, and BYOB. This place hosts various film/digital events maybe once a month featuring different "film"makers. Mr. Har has done this "Backyard Trailer Explosion" once before a year or two back during the summer with a completely different compilation of trailers.

I had a fun time watching these tidbits of drive-in "classics", as did the rest of the audience. One of the hosts summed it up pretty well: "What you see in most of these trailers is the best parts of the entire movie all in just 60 seconds or so...."

Some pictures to give you a sample of the type of trailers shown:

The following members like this: Iman Yahya, Douglas Warren, Martin Dew, Eivind Mork and Gwyn Morgan

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Backyard 16mm Trailer Explosion...

#2 by Douglas Warren , Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 am

Sounds like a fun evening. The desire to collect trailers is what got me into 16mm film a few years ago.

Tom Photiou likes this

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

RE: Backyard 16mm Trailer Explosion...

#3 by Michael Lattavo , Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Looks like a great time!

Tom Photiou likes this

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42