The Never Ending Story 600ft Scope Derann

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 pm

This is a title that has been covered quite a bit in the past. Here is a review of my own print.
Starting with a short scope advert for Kawasaki motor cycles, this then feeds into the mains titles for the movie.
First of all, the edit, described by most who have seen this as an excellent edit, i guess it is considering how much had to be cut to squeeze into 30 minutes. I only have one gripe as mentioned previously, the scene when his horse is lost to the swamp, he is there one second but gone the next, a few more feet of film would have made it almost perfect. However, this is only a minor grumble.
The quality is good and colours a fine, i think the contrast is slightly brighter than it ought to be but that may be just my print, without another to compare with it's hard to say. Overall, a pretty darn good print for the age.

For those who dont know this edit, here is the wiki plot edited by me to cover this version.
Bastian is a ten-year-old, teased by bullies from school. On his way to school, he hides from the bullies in a bookstore, interrupting the grumpy bookseller, Mr. Coreander. Bastian asks about one of the books he sees, but Mr. Coreander advises against it. Curious, Bastian seizes the book and hides in the school's attic to read it.
The book describes the Fantasy world of Fantasia slowly being devoured by a malevolent force called "The Nothing". Fantasia's ruler, the Childlike Empress, has fallen ill, and Atreyu is tasked to discover the cure, believing that once the Empress is well, the Nothing will no longer be a threat. Atreyu is given a medallion named the Auryn that can guide and protect him in the quest. As Atreyu sets out, the Nothing summons Gmork, a vicious and highly intelligent wolf-like creature, to kill Atreyu.
Atreyu's quest directs him to the adviser Morla the Ancient One in the Swamps of Sadness. Though the Auryn protects Atreyu he finds, Morla, a giant turtle.
Morla does not have the answers Atreyu seeks, but directs him to the Southern Oracle, ten thousand miles distant. Atreyu succumbs to exhaustion trying to escape the Swamps but is saved by the luckdragon Falkor.
Atreyu eventually meets the Southern Oracle who tells him the only way to save the Empress is to find a human child to give her a new name, beyond the boundaries of Fantasia.
Atreyu and Falkor flee before the Nothing consumes the Southern Oracle. In flight, Atreyu is knocked from Falkor's back into the Sea of Possibilities, losing the Auryn in the process. He wakes on the shore of the abandoned ruins, where Gmork reveals himself, having been lying in wait and explains that Fantasia represents humanity's imagination, and that the Nothing represents adult apathy and cynicism against it. Atreyu kills Gmork as the Nothing begins to consume the ruins. Falkor, who had managed to locate the Auryn, rescues Atreyu in time. The two find themselves in a void with only small fragments of Fantasia remaining, and fear they have failed when they spot the Empress's Ivory Tower among the fragments. Inside, Atreyu apologizes for failing the Empress, but she assures him he has succeeded in bringing to her a human child who has been following his quest: Bastian. As the Nothing begins to consume the Tower, the Empress pleads directly to Bastian to call out her new name,
Bastian runs to the window and calls out the name he had selected into the storm (Moonchild), he then finds himself in blackness with the Empress, with only a grain of sand, the last bit of Fantasia remaining. The Empress tells Bastian that he has the power to bring Fantasia back with his imagination using the power of the Auryn. Bastian re-creates Fantasia, and as he flies on Falkor's back, he sees the land and its inhabitants restored, and that Atreyu has been reunited with Artax. When Falkor asks what his next wish will be, Bastian then brings Falkor back to the real world to chase down the bullies from before. The film ends with the narration that Bastian had many more wishes and adventures, and adds: "but that's another story".

The first two images of the advert at the front of the reel,

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry and Vidar Olavesen

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: The Never Ending Story 600ft Scope Derann

#2 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:14 am

It's an excellent cutdown and very entertaining,some of the early prints are showing signs of fade now on the dark scenes,I've had two other prints that were on the red side but I then got an unfaded one which stiĺl looks nice,great review Tom,Mark

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Mander

#3 by Graham Sinden , Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 am

Hi Tom,

Excellent review. I like this a lot and actually have 3 copies but only one in Stereo (Derann issued this both in Mono and Stereo). All copies I have seen of this have slightly washed out colours but never seen any fade (I remember), so maybe not the best print from Derann but pretty good all the same.

My only gripe is that Derann edited this to keep the story intact but for a 600 footer I would have liked to see more action scenes and less of the princess at the end. There are some characters who are barely seen in the edit like Rockbiter. I remember a good scene where Atreyu has to go past a gate but this is missing in this edit.

Still a very good 600' of entertainment of an 80's film.

Graham S

Tom Photiou likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#4 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 am

Graham this should have been a 2x600' version really, and by all accounts it was decided on a show of hands at one of the Derann open days what lengthy it should come out as, either a single 600' edition or a 2 part edition, how scientific was Derek at times!

The following members like this: David Alligan, Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou
Barry Attwood

#5 by Graham Sinden , Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 am

Hi Barry,

Yes I've read that many times on various forums about Derek asking collectors what length they wanted. I always thought it would work well as a 2x600 but than again the full feature is only 92 minutes so it could be said why not release it full 3x600. What we have though is an excellent 600ft which is very repeatable.

Graham S

Tom Photiou likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#6 by Erik Schoolcraft , Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:11 am

Never seen this for sale in the states in super 8. Would love to have a copy to show off as its one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid.

Tom Photiou likes this
Erik Schoolcraft  
Erik Schoolcraft
Date registered 08.16.2018
ThankYou 18

The Naked and the dead. 4 x 400ft b/w sound
The Poet & Peasant 200ft Castle films colour sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor