A huge thank you to Kevin Clark

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:39 pm

First of all, i want to make it very clear, this is NOT cross threading, i wanted to put this up on both forums due to the fact i think people on both forums may like to read this as THIS is the very best of what forums can produce, this isn't the first time for me, Kevin has helped before with other enquiries as has Andrew and a few others. so this is what i wanted to say,
I made an enquiry to fellow member Kevin Clark, this was regarding a Sankor 25mm lens I purchased around a year ago elsewhere to get a large image for our 16mm from a short throw.
I tried it and at the time, (being a green behind the ears as far as 16mm is concerned), and I thought the image was a tad darker but put it down to having the image made bigger/losing some light and/or quality. The image was also quite grainy, A few films later I was not at all impressed by this lens that many people raved about. I opted for a 38mm primed lens and a zoom converter purchased from Clyde on this forum. Halfway there now, the image still only 2/3rds filled the screen but it produces an excellent image and is perfect for the scope films.
Two weeks ago I looked again at the 25mm lens which was just sat on a shelf and i put a torch through the back and took a better look. It just didn’t look right, it looked like an icy surface, I was worried it was either filthy or had some fungus.
A conversation to Kevin resulted in me sending it to him to take a look, it was very bad news, not only was it fungus, but part of the lens was a bit loose resulting in a rattle if you shook it, worse still, Kevin explained that the glass appeared to have been cleaned as it wasn’t actually dirty, just badly damaged by the fungus and this was not something that could be fixed.

This was part of Kevin’s Findings,
“Sadly there is nothing that can be done about the fungus damaged element - this comprises of two small lenses in a black plastic mount - they are glued into these during manufacture - the side we need to get to is on the sealed inside hence no fix possible. However - in my opinion the fungus has 'bitten' so hard into the glass even it were possible to open it the glass would not respond to cleaning or treatment.
I've attached two photos - one that shows the combined fungus damaged element stripped out of the lens so you can clearly see the fungus grazes in the glass and one that shows that element next to another from the lens, on a white piece of card, so you can see the difference in clarity between the two, same camera, same lighting, same angle, two very different looking pieces of glass”.

However, Kevin also explained that he had a lens which is made up of a fitting that should fit the Elf we have, the lens itself being from a super 8 Silma projector, a Schneider F1.2 15.5mm to 28mm zoom lens, which in theory shouldn't work with 16mm due to vignetting, but in practice it works perfectly, all through the zoom range. It gives a huge picture at the 15.5mm end, and just about the same size as my 1" lens at the 28mm end of the range.
With all of this in mind my lens being sent to Mr Clark, and Kevin’s findings and returning of my lens plus the made up item was all done within four days, including the weekend. What an absolute star, this is a huge thank you to Kevin; we need a medal icon on here. Thanks to Kevin I can, at last, project a huge sharp, bright image with my Eiki. This is where forums and the internet do come into there own. What an absolute star.
Here is the problem Lens from the Sankor 25mm

Here is the lens that Kevin put together and is now in my Eiki,

As you see it looks a little lost but this is a small guy that packs a huge punch onto a big screen from just 11 feet away.

And here are a couple of images taken tonight using this home assembled lens, unbeliavably good but still a lot of zoom left if i had a much bigger screen which in the film room i have would be too big.

Die Hard / Silence of the Lambs. 8 or 16 anyone?

The following members like this: Clyde Miles, Martin Dew and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: A huge thank you to Kevin Clark

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I told you Tom, the man is the bollocks pal, he really is.

Some play at being the good guy, this man opitomizes the term.

Now what you got to return the favour with?

The Schneider lenses really are about the best zoom lenses money can buy.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Martin Dew
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:03 pm | Top

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 am

That looks excellent Tom, at last you will really get the best out of your films. Now you will be able to watch'Dances with Wolves' and others with a bigger picture. You have a lot to look forward to. Well done to Kevin, that was very good of him.
I don't think non members can read this section. It's not cross threading. As a member of two forums, you're entitled to post the same stories or film reviews in both forums.

Tom Photiou likes this
Robert Crewdson

#4 by Martin Dew , Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 am

Yes, Kevin is a star and a phenomenally nice bloke.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 95

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:54 am

Of course this is not cross threading and anyone who harps on all of the time as such, well quite frankly I am glad to see the back of such a green eyed monster!

They contribute next to nothing here yet expect all of the very same treatment as somebody who lives and breathes this hobby.

No thank you my dear!!!!!

Good Riddance to bad rubbish, I say.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:41 pm | Top

Stray light
Jumpy issue solved.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 3
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor