As most know- This Is Not A Fault!

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:09 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fantastic-Elm...FEAAOSwSz1aqAYS

In the description, the seller announces that the diffuser glass ( the glass between the lamp and the lens is how he describes it), is cracked but is still ok in use.

Well it would be, just as they all would be of course, because as most experienced Elmo users already know, they are supposed to have this split glass arrangement by design to prevent the glass from shattering in use from the heat of the lamp.

So to anyone who may be even partially interested in this machine, this is not a fault of the machine as is indicated, but very much exactly how it was made and overall the machine sounds like a good one, especially at the price it currently stands.
If anyone out there could feel that £84 as things stand, is possibly TOO much to pay for what is described as a fully working 1200ft capacity machine, well quite frankly, they are in the wrong hobby!!

No photograph of the carry case with this one so I'd expect it not to be the machines greatest feature and the lens being that it goes without mention, I'd expect to only be a standard f1.3 type at this price.

On the plus side however the accessories pack appears complete and original and you even get an original instruction manual by the looks of things!

There's those Cogs again btw! (See description)

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 pm | Top

RE: As most know- This Is Not A Fault!

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 am

Ah but he is a collector !!
Nice looking machine used to have one many years ago till I got my fumes.📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:32 am

One of the things I wondered when I bought my ST-1200 and a defective 1.1 lens which probably was dismantled and wrongly put back. It was very blurry in one side in particular. I saw the cracked glass, wondered if that caused the blurryness. Found it to be normal too

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 am

When I had my 16mm machine serviced by Kevin Brown, he told me that he had replaced a diffuser which had a crack, possibly due to the fan not working as it should. I had never noticed anything on screen. I wonder why he's not using the original box, which appears in the picture?

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:46 pm

I didn't see a box for an Elmo ST1200 in any of the photographs Robert ???

Also let's not forget, you would never see any effect from the diffuser while projecting in run as it is completely up out of the way of the gate while the machine is functioning normally.

Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Top left hand side is the box. Maybe I'm thinking of something else Andrew. The old 16mm projectors have glass, which not only intensifies the light output, but helps to stop the film burning. I would need to search out the instruction manual if I got the name wrong.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Paul Browning , Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 pm

UV glass Robert, reflects the heat and ultra violet rays that damage film ...

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm

I remember now that the word they used was a Condensor. I think the older B&H 16mm had 2, and the more modern projector just the one.

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:52 pm

You are a better man than I am Robert if you can tell for certain that the box just about making it into frame on the top LHS of that picture there, is defiantly the box for this machine!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:13 pm | Top

#10 by Greg Perry , Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:15 pm

I see a cardboard box for a GS-1200, but not an ST-1200....perhaps that is what Robert was thinking
was the ST box....?

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#11 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:17 pm

No, Greg is right. I saw Elmo and 1200 without seeing if it was ST or not.

Robert Crewdson

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Greg the seller stated that he would box the item up along with its transit case for the couriers, but it isn't the original box that the projector came in.

None of mine ever came with an original cardboard box either for this particular model.

I think when certain machines had a ready made smart transit case solution that came with them or was ordinarily easy to find, it would appear many ditched the original box over the years.

I haven't had a T610 in an original box either and I have three of those. Again though, two from three have included a very sturdy transit case with them which in this particular machines case, was an additional extra for those that wanted to purchase one.

In a way, I was quite astonished in receiving the SH 30 in its original carton and Styrofoam inserts given that fact that it too, has a very similar transit case already provided with it to that of the Elmo ST1200, only much bigger.

The only other projector I have received in its original box c/w inserts this time around in the hobby is the Stereo Beaulieu.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 pm | Top

#13 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:47 pm

I keep mine in it's original box with all the packing.

Robert Crewdson

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Judging by those immaculate original Super 8mm film boxes we saw from you recently Robert,originally purchased from new by yourself all of those years ago now, I wouldn't expect anything less!

I am pleased my O/B for my main machine is stored away now as it would be a pain unpacking it all on each and every occasion that I use it.
I feel it would soon become tatty also, especially on the flaps

The flight case is quicker and easier for my own needs with this one and keeps everything inside dust free and moisture free.

I really like aluminium flight cases for all of the various audio and audio visual kit I've handled over the years. .
They are worth their weight in gold to a user such as myself and certainly help to preserve all A/V gear in like new status.

Almost essential if carting in and out of transit vans regularly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:59 pm | Top

#15 by Greg Perry , Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:22 pm

I really like to get the original box with the projector. Almost always, the projector seems to have been cared for and is in much better condition (at least cosmetically) than otherwise. In addition, the manual, and misc. kit are typically not lost. I think I have original boxes for two Elmo 16-AL's, two Eiki SSL's, and one Elmo ST-600. For my Elmo ST-1200, I have the "semi-hard" vinyl case with the fold-over cover that latches. These I like because they provide some protection and are still quick and easy to get at projector. The soft dust-covers, like on the Elmo ST-800, are great but offer only basic protection. As you said Andrew, there are very suitable aftermarket pro A/V cases that could be fitted and used. I have seen used aftermarket cases on local online auctions here, probably should have bid on one.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#16 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 pm

One of the flaps on my box just suddenly gave way, and I had to use clear tape to put it back. It was disappointing, but it's 43 years old.

Robert Crewdson

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:58 pm

You can tell your equipment has been very well cared for Greg. Well done all around.

I rate the ST 1200 Carry Case highly myself Greg. These are the ideal solution to protecting the machine while still maintaining the ease of use we require if we use these things almost daily.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:01 pm | Top

Shrink-wrapped and new. What would you do?
You win some and you lose some with Tua Film Services

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor