classic home cinema closing down

#1 by Dave Guest , Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:08 pm

been to farnworth film fair bought some nice titles and sold some to, was told by several people that classic home cinema is closing down has any one else heard anything

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

RE: classic home cinema closing down

#2 by David Skillern , Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:30 pm

I spoke to phil quite recently and sent him some emails - nothing was mentioned - but lets face it Derann closing was a bombshell for those not in the "know".

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#3 by John Armer , Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:43 pm

At first I read the subject line as a statement of fact when in fact you are simply asking a question, based on rumour, which isn't very tactful or helpful. Why don't you phone him to find out instead of repeating second hand information?

Mind you there were a few posts a couple of years ago with the subject line David Guest RIP!!!

Mats Abelli likes this
John Armer  
John Armer
Date registered 11.19.2016
ThankYou 18

#4 by Dave Guest , Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:51 pm

phil shears has nothing I want I but I know a few on here buy of him just asking a question to see if anyone else had heard any thing I will keep things to my self instead of posting on here you ring

Dave Guest
ThankYou 69

#5 by David Skillern , Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:51 pm

I thoroughly agree with your sentiments John

John Armer likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#6 by Dave Guest , Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:54 pm

david if you think john statement is ok better buy your scope ring of him then

Dave Guest
ThankYou 69

#7 by David Skillern , Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Mr Guest - do you want my business or not !!

David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#8 by David Skillern , Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 pm

As my comment has nothing to do with buying a scope ring from you !!

David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#9 by John Armer , Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Quote: Dave Guest wrote in post #4
just asking a question to see if anyone else had heard any thing I will keep things to my self instead of posting on here you ring

That's my point, David. In your subject line you were making a statement not asking a question. Why didn't you write 'Is Classic Home Cinema closing down?' as your subject line?

Anyway in answer to your question, I don't know.

Alan Rik likes this
John Armer  
John Armer
Date registered 11.19.2016
ThankYou 18

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Nothing mentioned on their website.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:37 pm

This is the first that I have heard regarding CHC closing its doors for good, rumour or otherwise.

I hope it isn't true as Phil now runs quite a unique shop in this day and age.

His list of features on 8 in recent times have seemingly run right down to an all time low in terms of numbers, but by the same token I am seeing on going these days, requests for entire collections many of which are worded differently than they used to be. In other words these are new requests made fairly recently by Phil.

If Phil was planning to call time on his shop any time soon, would it make any sense to still be asking for people's collections with best prices paid?

I am not so sure.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Del Phillipson likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 pm | Top

#12 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 am

It has been mentioned he look for a buyer, but I can not confirm anything

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:35 am

No smoke without fire then it would seem. Very sad all the same.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:43 am | Top

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Vidar, from what you have heard, does Phil just seek a buyer for the shop or is he perhaps looking for someone to take over the business as a going concern?

I suppose it would be complete wishful thinking, but I do hope it is the latter if Phil is now thinking of retirement.

I think the model railway side of the shop still brings in plenty of customers from off the streets even if the film sales rely more on telephone sales etc.

I am wondering if this does become a reality, whether or not it was entirely planned or may perhaps be circumstantial?

Phil only moved to his larger premises just a few years back. It would seem a lot of expense and upheaval back then if this decision was already on the horizon in those times.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:07 pm | Top

#15 by Nigel Higgins , Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:48 pm

If its taken over by someone new then it will continue as a cine shop .no new film seems to be released nowdays for whatever problem.is that delibrate aswell.but it would take a whole lot of money to take it on .and only a cine fan would do that ,its ama ing the shop is open in this day and age .it never seems to have anything that i am looking for.but i guess for some it does.either way there will always be lots of dealers and second hand films around.we will see in time if it is true

Martin Dew likes this

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

#16 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Reel Image still do new prints. I bought my Raiders and almost an Empire print, but at the last minute I got it from a film tech member. Not cheap, but about same price, but with stereo, so opted for that

Considering ET, but await more money first

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 349

Last edited 02.04.2018 | Top

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:47 pm

How much are Raiders and E.T. Vidar?

I'd be interested in both of these if the quality is right.
I'd prefer poly also if possible.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:48 pm | Top

#18 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Not sure, I paid 600 dollar for Raiders, but about 5 years ago. I think it is at least twice now

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 349

#19 by Dave Guest , Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 pm

was told today he has a for sale sign on the shop and I was told he was selling films from home so don't know realy anyone who deals with phil might be better to ring him but reading previous comments on here where they were some on here were calling him I am not supprised

Dave Guest
ThankYou 69

#20 by Dave Guest , Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 pm

was told today he has a for sale sign on the shop and I was told he was selling films from home so don't know realy anyone who deals with phil might be better to ring him but reading previous comments on here where they were some on here were calling him I am not supprised

Dave Guest
ThankYou 69

#21 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Phil is Phil and whatever anyone thinks regarding his "customer service" approach on occasions, this is still a very sad day indeed hearing that the shop is now up for sale.

It was one of the very last of its kind anywhere in the world. Now we have only places like Edwin Van Eck left in the hobby.
This of course is still fantastic, but an actual shop on the high street selling 8mm feature films etc etc, well it signifies the end of an era finally and very very sadly.

It's also shutting before I ever had a decent opportunity to visit the new premises which is again very regrettable.

We still also have Umit's establishment in London but I believe much of what he has there isn't even genuinely for sale.

Andrew Woodcock

#22 by Graham Sinden , Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:36 pm

What I've noticed over the last few years is that people seem reluctant and even scared of phoning Phil, as if he's some monster on the other end of the phone they dare not bother. I've phoned him now and again for a long time to enquire if the new prints have arrived and order titles. Never had a problem. It is sad though, but Phil and Denise may still attend the BFCC and Blackpool to sell off existing stock, who knows.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#23 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:43 pm

I don't think people are necessary scared to ring Graham but his customer care is a bit to be desired so reluctant is probably right,he must have lost many customers over the years because of this,such a shame as he could have had the film collectors in the palm of his hand but choose to upset most of them,Mark

Mark Mander

#24 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:53 pm

I know exactly what everyone is getting at when I've read comments similar to Graham's and Mark's, but in all honesty, I have never really had any issues with the level of service I have received over the years from either Phil himself or for that matter Denise.

I always speak to both in a courteous, polite and respectful manner and this certainly seems to bring about the very best side from each of them as you would expect.
I've had lots of great films from Phil this time around and he even reserved me a copy of The Lion King before he received a collection as I'd explained recently at that time just how much I was seeking a good quality print of this film.

Overall Phil and Denise have been extremely good to myself and for this I will always remain extremely grateful to them both for the films I have received from CHC.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and John Armer
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:59 pm | Top

#25 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Maybe I just caught him on a bad day then,I was told ring on a day in the week that doesn't have a Y in and he's normally fine!!!Mark

Mark Mander

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Survey - What kind of film treatment do you use

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor