Midnight Express. 400ft Colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Heres an old 400 footer form Columbia.
This is actually a very well edited 400 ft reel and not a single word from a narrator.
I bought this brand new and it was a pin sharp excellent print, unfortunately on a money raiser years ago i sold it. DOAH!!!!
A few more years later i found this copy for a fiver, its very good but has a couple of minor light black lines and its not quite as sharp as my original but it's ok and is a very entertaining 17 minute reel and does have excellent sound as did most American columbia prints. This one would have made a superb 3 x 400 footer like the Exorcist.
I will add, as always, that these screenshots are quite shocking as the print is actually a hell of a lot better than what you see here.

Here is the plot edited to this version.
On October 6, 1970, while on holiday in Istanbul, American college student Billy Hayes straps 2 kg of hashish blocks to his chest. While attempting to board a plane back to the United States with his girlfriend, Billy is arrested by Turkish. He is strip-searched.
During his first night in holding at a local jail, a freezing-cold Billy sneaks out of his cell and steals a blanket, his second mistake, later, he is rousted from his cell and brutally beaten by chief guard Hamidou for the blanket theft.
A few days later ,in Sağmalcılar Prison, surrounded by fellow Western prisoners Jimmy Max and (an English heroin addict played by John Hurt).
Billy is sent to trial for his case where the angry prosecutor makes a case against him for drug smuggling. The lead judge is sympathetic to Billy and gives him only a four-year sentence for drug possession.
His stay becomes harsh and brutal: terrifying scenes of physical and mental torture follow one another, culminating in Billy having a breakdown. He beats up and nearly kills Rifki. Following this breakdown & he is sent to the prison's ward for the criminally insane, where he wanders in a daze among the other disturbed and catatonic prisoners.
He bribes Hamidou into taking him to the sanatorium, where there are no guards. Instead, Hamidou takes Billy past the sanatorium to another room—and prepares to rape him. Fighting back, Billy inadvertently kills Hamidou by pushing him onto a coat hook. He seizes the opportunity to escape by putting on a guard's uniform and walking out of the front door. In the epilogue, it is explained that—on the night of October 4, 1975—he successfully crossed the border to Greece, and arrived home three weeks later.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Midnight Express. 400ft Colour Sound

#2 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:10 pm

That looks pretty good Tom,every one of these I've ever seen has been really faded,nice to see one with decent colour,Mark

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Mander

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Not too long since I got it myself. Mine has some stripes but

Attached pictures:
31FDCC18-47A3-49AD-9451-B9CFCFE19CFD.jpeg   4EB458DE-E891-445A-AB4E-68DF46729C00.jpeg   5BDE341B-CF1E-464B-8B6F-4ED4001B382D.jpeg  

Tom Photiou likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#4 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 pm

The colours are very good Mark, there doesn't appear to be any fade so this may possibly be either an Agfa print or just very lucky.
This is one of my favourite 400 cut downs so God knows why i sold my original, the feature is a very good movie but about half an hour over long. My film room is, (i think), almost perfect for the storage, it is quite cold but heated daily for the showings so it gets the right mix, and no windows means no sunlight what so ever, again i think this is helping our collection retain the colours on the older prints.

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#5 by Martin Dew , Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:36 am

Yes, mine is a bit redder than this! I love the Columbia cases, though, and mine still looks mint.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:42 am

Those clam shell cases were well made and very sturdy thats for sure. The Columbia ones ,(imo), seem sturdier than any others, including Deranns which were all very smart in design.

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Meteor, MGM 3 x 400 ft Edition
Miracle on 34th Street Trailer, Colour Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor