Elmo 16cl audio problems

#1 by Stuart Reid , Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Guys, my 16CL has developed an audio fault. Basically the sound seems to be cutting out occasionally, and isn't too clear when it is working. What's my fault-finding flowchart? Guessing check the optical lens for dirt, make sure the loop is tight round the roller and then I guess I'm into replacing capacitors?

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

RE: Elmo 16cl audio problems

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Audio cut outs are exactly what I had on my Beaulieu when I first got it.
It was because of dry joints and was losing the 36v supply to the stereo amplifier IC chipset.

It can be anything of course, much as you mention but bad or dry joints do play a big part in many circuit board faults on aging equipment I've noticed, especially intermittent ones.

It's worth reading up on some of the tell tale signs for such problems which will certainly go a long way in helping you recognize such irregularities.

Is your problem intermittent Stuart?
If so, how long will it run for before the sound kicks out?

If its also unclear when running, I would be inclined to change out the large capacitors as a precaution also.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Stuart Reid sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:42 pm | Top

#3 by Stuart Reid , Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Yes Andrew it's intermittent. I'm off for a few days at the moment so I think I'll take a closer look.

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

Last edited 10.24.2017 | Top

#4 by Martin Dew , Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:03 pm

I would also check the exciter lamp connection, Stuart, if you haven't already. I occasionally wipe the brass spring loaded connector with a cotton bud and alcohol as well as the base of the lamp. Also check the spring is moving freely. There's often black residue on lamp and connector and if the lamp is flickering you can lose audio intermittently.

Stuart Reid sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 95

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:16 pm

This ones an easy visual check for Stuart to eliminate Martin as you have a lamp either on or off to act as confirmation if this is the case.

If it's anywhere on the exciter lamp or photo cell circuit, this problem should be very easy to spot and solve hopefully.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:18 pm | Top

My Elf Is Up And Running
Donald's Better Self

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor