Xanadu. 600ft, (2 x 400) U8 Low Fade print

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Well, along with the Blues Brothers this was one of the last releases from U8. Many have faded but this one must be on low fade stock as there is no fade at all and it does have great colours good sound,(if it wasn't put through my Pioneer amp it would be lacking in bass), image is OK but like Northsea hijack is little less sharp than you would have expected on a late releases. It is slightly masked but not letter-boxed. A huge flop a the cinema and it never did revive Gene Kelly's career in films but it does have the very nice Olivia Newton John and a great 80s music soundtrack form both the the star and ELO. Here is the plot edited for this version,
The film opens with a large mural of the Nine Muses of Olympia coming to life, with the women emerging from the painting and flying into the sky. One of them returns to Earth.
Sonny Malone is a talented artist who dreams of fame beyond his job, which is the non-creative task of painting larger versions of album covers for record-store window advertisements.
At work, Sonny is told to paint an album cover for a group called The Nine Sisters. The cover features a beautiful woman in front of an art deco auditorium (the Pan-Pacific Auditorium). Earlier that day, this same woman had collided with him, kissed him, and roller-skated away. Now, Malone becomes obsessed with finding her, but discovers that no one knows who she is.
Walking near the beach, Sonny befriends Daniel "Danny" McGuire, (Gene Kelly), a has-been big band orchestra leader turned construction mogul.
The two find an old auditorium where they image old time bands and an 80s band performing & agree to become partners to revive the ruine into the club Xanadu.
In the finale, Kira and the Muses perform for a packed house at Xanadu's grand opening, and after the final song, Kira and the Muses all return to the realm of the gods in spectacular fashion. With their departure, Sonny is understandably depressed. But that quickly changes when Danny asks for a drink for Sonny from one of the waitresses -- a waitress who looks exactly like Kira. Sonny approaches this seeming double and says he would just like to talk to her. The film ends with the two of them talking, in silhouette, as the credits begin to roll.
BTW,The Universal studio logo is in there going through the ages and also, unusually all the end credits. All in all a great little hour of nonsense fun & in my case a great U8 print all be it a little grainy.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Eivind Mork and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 08.22.2017 | Top

RE: Xanadu. 600ft, (2 x 400) U8 Low Fade print

#2 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:38 am

This cut makes a so-so film into a fast paced exciting musical, I remember seeing this in the cinema, and apart from a few sequences, I thought it was too long and boring, when I heard U8 were bringing out a double album, I was a bit sceptical, but what a job the U8 editor did, all those best bits were there, with a little bit of the storyline, I actually think this 32 minute cut is way superior to the F/L film. It's funny about these late U8 releases, as I've had quite a few that seem to be on early LPP stock, so no surprises for me about your copy Tom!

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Del Phillipson and David Alligan
Barry Attwood

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 am

Agree with everything you said there Barry.
I saw this in the cinema and it made me me cringe more than once. This version is a good supporter and has a great 80s elo soundtrack ending with olivia newton johns full and extended version of the main title song. Seeing the warriors hard man michael beck playing this was bit weird to say the least when i first saw this on its release.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 08.23.2017 | Top

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am

It's one I've wanted for a while now Tom and when I do finally find one, let's hope it looks as good as this one of yours!

Terrific mate.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Eivind Mork , Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:16 am

A very nice print! :-)

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

World War 2 G.I.Diary Okinawa at the emperor's doorstep.
Yankee Doodle Dandy, 400ft extract reel b/w sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor