Carry On Abroad. 4x400,(on 2 full 600ft spools)

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Thought we should put this one through as it was last screened in 2011 and we have read that this title is often fading or faded to red.
Fortunately we are lucky, this one from Bucks Labs has held up very well. A fairly good edit originally supplied on 4 400ft spools. Each spool was only around 350/370 so we put it together on 2 x 600ft reels. A perfect fit and two reels do go onto one without any re-cutting of the film.
So the plot for this edit is like this,
Stuart Farquhar (Kenneth Williams), the nasally representative of Wundatours Travel Agency, and his seductive assistant, Moira Plunkett (Gail Grainger), welcome the motley passengers. Among them are the henpecked and love-starved Stanley Blunt (Kenneth Connor) and his overbearing, conservative, frigid wife, Evelyn (June Whitfield); a drunken, bowler-hatted mummy's boy, Eustace Tuttle (Charles Hawtrey); brash Scotsman Bert Conway (Jimmy Logan); young and beautiful friends Lily and Marge (Sally Geeson and Carol Hawkins respectively); and Brother Bernard (Bernard Bresslaw), a timid young monk who has difficultly fitting into his new path of life.
Unfortunately, upon their arrival they discover their hotel is only half-finished; the builders have just quit suddenly for unspecified reasons, leaving the remaining five floors unfinished. Distraught manager Pepe (Peter Butterworth) desperately tries to run the place in myriad different guises – the manager, the doorman and the porter – and the chef is his shrewish wife, Floella (Hattie Jacques), who battles repeatedly with the temperamental stove while their Lothario son Georgio idles behind the bar. The hotel also hides an assortment of faults and Pepe is soon overrun with complaints: Evelyn finds Mr Tuttle in her bath, Vic discovers Sadie naked in his shower; Lily and Marge's wardrobe has no back to it, allowing them to be accidentally seen by Brother Bernard in the opposite room; sand pours out of Moira's taps; the lavatory drenches Bert. The phone system itself is faulty and the guests end up complaining to each other for much of the time. Nevertheless, Stuart is determined to ensure everyone has a good time.
Dinner the first night is foul and made even more unpleasant by the arrival of mosquitoes. Although agreeing to play leapfrog with Tuttle, Lily and Marge have their eyes on other things. Marge takes a shine to Brother Bernard, while Lily lures the dashing Nicholas (David Kernan) away from his jealous friend, Robin (John Clive), and Marge and Bernard develop an innocent romance. Meanwhile, Stanley attempts to seduce Cora whilst his nagging wife is not present, but Cora is more interested in keeping
While most of the party go off to the village, Stanley ensures his wife is left behind so that he can spend the day attempting to woo Cora. Vic samples a local drink, "Santa Cecelia's Elixir", which blesses the drinker with X-ray vision and he is able to see through women's clothing. However, the tourists are arrested for causing a riot at Madame Fifi's (Olga Lowe) local brothel after Vic, Bert and Eustace annoy the girls there; left-behind Evelyn is seduced by Georgia, which leads to her abandoning her frigid manners.
Mrs Blunt resumes her sex life with a surprised Stanley. The last night in the hotel starts as a success, with all the guests at ease with each other thanks to the punch being spiked with Santa Cecelia's Elixir. Midway through the night it begins to rain and the hotel is shown to have been constructed on a dry river bed. As the hotel begins to collapse Pepe finally loses his patience and sanity with the guests, who party on, oblivious to the disintegrating hotel.
The film then shifts forward to an unspecified period of time, and shows an Elsbels reunion at Vic & Cora's pub. All the guests are happy and reminisce about the holiday they barely survived.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Vidar Olavesen, David Alligan and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 06.07.2017 | Top

RE: Carry On Abroad. 4x400,(on 2 full 600ft spools)

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:50 pm

That still looks great Tom with bags of colour left in it and a very sharp image to boot! 😊

Well done Bucks Labs once again! 😊😊

Is this a Walton print, I take it Tom?

Bab's bikini bottoms remind me of the ones my mother once sported in the heatwave of 76 here, while on holiday in Torquay...the English Riviera! 😂😂
Great kidney warmers!! 😂😂😂

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:55 pm | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Andy, this is whats weird, there are no splices at all aside the joining reels, the film opens with the BFCC A certificate, (love those old BFCC openings), then, it has the walton logo, followed with No splices by the full Derann fanfare logo, (with the carry on music over both), i have never seen this on any other print, i believe it was a Derann reprint.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Yes, I'd tend to agree Tom based on your description there. Looks great whatever it is mate, but I'm sure it must be a later print from Derann based on your introduction there. 😊😊

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:05 pm | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Don't you just love the carry on gang? Especially Sid James Hah hah hah.

Don't know quite why, but I was always a fan of Bernard Bresslaw too.
Great daft character almost Cooperesque!😊😊

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:09 pm | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:12 pm

Brilliant mate,
My favourite line in this one is,

Peter butterworths character asks,
"What is your name?"
KW replies, "Stuart Farquhar"
PB asks "Stupid What"?
KW STUART FARQUHAR"
Sid James character looking on laughs and says, "I think he was right the first time"

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:03 pm

I have none on film yet Tom, but carry on..I love em all!

What's the one the budgie or parrot knows all the racing results Tom?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:06 pm | Top

#8 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:41 pm

That.l be carry on at your convenience Andy.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#9 by Graham Sinden , Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:01 am

I have abroad too with great colour. But one of these days I want to re-record the opening music to start at the the proper point. I never liked the music starting over the Derann logo. Im not sure but I think its the full opening titles so should be easy.

Graham S

Tom Photiou likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#10 by David Alligan , Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:29 pm

I never knew that Walton done this so I am amazed that their was a Walton Logo, Hmmm interesting.
The only carry on that Walton done was Carry on Cleo
Barry Attwood told me that if you had the 4 x 400ft and got the 1 x 400ft their are scenes in the single 400ft that's not in the 4 x 400ft so if you carefully splice them in you have nearly got the full feature

David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:05 pm

That's the one Tom! 😊😊
Carry on at your inconvenience. WC Boggs toilet factory and wasn't Sid James character or certainly one of them named Mr Crapper! 😂😂😂

1971 I just found out and 22nd in the line up of the Pinewood series.
One I still laugh out loud to, to this day!
Pure British comedy magic te he. :))

I've never seen this one on Super 8mm I don't think.
Does anyone know if it was ever released by anyone on Super 8mm?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:06 pm | Top

#12 by David Alligan , Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am

Andrew

Carry on at your convenience is definitely available on super 8 as I had a print of this from Derann (3 x 600ft) very good quality also available was carry on girls (3 x 600ft)

David Alligan  
David Alligan
ThankYou 45

#13 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:36 pm

How about the one with Bob Monkhouse, (i think it was the first one in the series). Wouldn't mind getting hold of this one on 8 or 16

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#14 by David Alligan , Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Hello Tom

Carry On Sergeant, and you are right it was the first in the series.
Derann released this full length

David Alligan  
David Alligan
ThankYou 45

#15 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:36 pm

Then i shall have to keep my beady eyes open
Thanks for the info

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Thoroughly modern Millie LPP/Agfa 400ft

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor