Anyone own a view master in their younger years?

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:32 pm

I had a blast from the past just a moment ago, the GAF 3D Viewmaster.
A simple concept, but fascinating all the same as a 9 year old.

The colours were unbelievably good! The 3D effect sensational and the only regret I have from using these, was I never got to sample the projection side of these through their dedicated projectors that came later.

Not movies I know, but film transparencies all the same.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: David Ollerearnshaw and Vidar Olavesen
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:33 pm | Top

RE: Anyone own a view master in their younger years?

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Analogue it is, I borrowed one from a friend, if it is the same thing. A tape with a story was supplied and you watched pictures following that. Was fun, not sure it would be as fun now though

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm not sure what you're describing Vidar, was exactly the same thing, but nevertheless along the same lines all the same.

The Viewmaster was simply a stereo 3D effect viewer which you held up to the light.
The images I recall, were out of this world back in those days. You'd never seen anything like them! Felt like you were there in the set, with a little imagination.

I can't remember what format of film was used to create these stereo still images, but whatever they were, they were truly amazing.

Naturally, the projection system introduced by GAF for these discs, came much later and then just produced standard 2D images on screen similar to a regular slide projector, but as said, I never tried viewing the discs using this method sadly.

There was other similar devices designed for youngsters of the day. One was the same idea except it used super 8 movie film to hand crank on a "What The Butler Saw" principle.

I remember first seeing Lonesome Ghosts through one of these as a child.

Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Round paper discs with pictures. Press the lever and it advances a picture. Not remembering them 3D though

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Was this I borrowed ... 3D it was apparently, but not something I remember thinking about

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:41 pm

That's the one Vidar!

Yes, that was the idea of having two lenses, one for each eye. The slides were slightly different I think from one side to the other, to give the illusion of real depth of field. Worked really well.😊

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:41 pm | Top

#7 by Michael Lattavo , Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:48 am

Funny you bring this up - for my wife's 40th birthday a few weeks ago, her cousin gave her a view master with a new paper disc made of pictures of my wife and her cousin throughout the years. A truly unique gift!

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Vidar Olavesen

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#8 by Mats Abelli , Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:06 am

I had and still have a viewmaster. An older bakelite model. As I always have had issues with my left eye, I couldn´t enjoy the 3D effect, but the picture quality and the colours were stunning. A friend of mine was a viewmaster enthusiast. He had a 3D camera and a projector, to take his own pictures and show in 3D. Both camera and projector had 2 lenses. You had to use 3D-glasses, to watch the show. The early viewmasters were not made by GAF. I believe they bought the rights in the late sixties or early seventies from Sawyer´s, Portland, Oregon.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:38 am

I'd never seen those original pre GAF models Mats. Thanks for that!😊

Michael, what a truly unique way to celebrate a birthday for all of us here old enough to remember the format.

Nowadays Facebook does a montage of all of your uploaded photographs automatically around your birthday time for anyone who is a member, but this is far more novel and thoughtful I reckon! 😊😊

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:38 am | Top

#10 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:58 am

Somewhere theres a site that shows how they created the stereo views of the Flintstones on a miniature set. I try to find it later.

I have quite a few of the slides, I always wanted the 3D projector too. I have one, but its only 2D. Looking at the frames it looks to be about 16mm.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Happy Birthday Eivind Mork!!! :-)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor