In theory could you transfer 4k Blu-ray to make a 16mm inter-neg

#1 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:36 am

Now that there is hardly any 35mm prints being made today, I was wondering (in theory, only!) if there was a way to use 4k Blu-ray's in making a 16mm inter-neg, I know in the past with releases in the old days, of transfers from tapes to 8mm (I know a couple of Elvis concerts and the Electric Blue releases came off video), just thought I'd get the forum's ideas on the subject, personally I have no idea if it is possible!

Barry Attwood

RE: In theory could you transfer 4k Blu-ray to make a 16mm inter-neg

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:06 am

For me, I would stay clear. I hate the digital stutter and that won't go away with a digital to film transfer. If it's not from film, I would not buy it. I passed on a 35mm print of American Snipee, because it was videoed digitally. I rather buy used films of older productions. That is of course only my opinion

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:58 am

Vidar,

I know what you mean, but just wondered if it was possible, that's all!

Barry Attwood

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:16 pm

It is, a guy in Italy (or something) have a service doing this. You can send him a digital clip and he transfers to 16mm. Costly, but I was considering doing this for the opening of The Hunter (McQueen) which misses a couple of minutes or so. My print starts at the END of opening credits

Costly I seem to remember. Anyone here know this guy? Would be okay to have his info here

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#5 by Stuart Reid , Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Digital stutter? Please explain. When I'm running Blu Ray it's 24fps. No stutter for me!

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:33 pm

If the camera pans, the poles, buildings and such have quite a lot of lag (stutter) ... Not everyone see it, until I point it out to them. Yes, 24fps, but must be decoding that is causing it. 4K is even worse. I see this in the cinema too, so I think it is not my player (mid range Sony) ... I remember seeing Enders Game, close up of Fords face turning, Looks like frames drops a lot. Awful. Do not see this n my 35mm Gremlins, but see it on Blu-Ray

Mats Abelli likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#7 by Stuart Reid , Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Vidar, have you made sure that all processing is switched off on both the player and the display device? That can cause awful stuttering. As for seeing it in the cinema, that's surely a by-product of shutter speed and panning speed and would be noticeable on both film prints and digital?

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:16 pm

But it is not, as I said on my Gremlins. I do shut off auto stuff for motion flow and all those crap things, if that's what you refer to. It has been several people here saying, they don't see it and is now angry with me for showing them. It is very noticeable to me, but if you are lucky enough to not react to this, good for you. I really hate the motion and feel slight nausea when I watch digital. I am not sure, I want to check this, but my friend says DVD on a old tube TV do not have this, only newer displays, digital processing must be the problem. I have the same problem with games, people seem to love the Grand Theft Auto series, but that is really not possible to play for me, due to the awful motion. But younger people do not seem to notice or care

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#9 by Jose Artiles , Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 am

Please Friends be carefull about this matter of the video to 16mm kinescopes,its better to talk about that only in private to not put in danger the things.

Kindest regards to all .

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Stuart Reid

Jose Artiles
Date registered 08.16.2015
ThankYou 16

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
abbots langley

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor