Bell and Howell 622

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Had a clear out (again) and came upon a B and H 622 manual thread with 1000 watt bulb.It has a large transformer to convert to 110 volt etc with separate feeds to the projection mechanics and amp.When I tried it a couple of days ago it all fired up ok except for the amp - no sound - so being the nosey sort started to strip the machine and by removing four bolts on the bottom out came the amp.
This I again tried on its own and noticed one of the valves had not lit and had the tell tale burn mark on the top.
So to the Internet and for £16.50 I obtained I Russian equivalent of a 3z4gt mullard valve.This valve arrived and when I first saw it it only had four prongs compared to the bust one with five .Anyway stuck it in and low and behold life in the old amp yet.
So loaded in a test film about Lenovo tyres and started the machine up.Seems to be going ok had to find a lens as the original is missing,the one I found has a war department stamp quite appropriate for a projector of this age.
I shall be keeping this machine for as long as possible its big,chunky,there's that smell of burning and film you get with these old machines and I think they look quite nice.
Some pics of the machine and valve,transformer etc.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

RE: Bell and Howell 622

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:41 pm

For info of anyone in need of valves the company I got my valve from is:-
Langrex
http://www.langrex.co.uk
They say they are the largest supplier of electronic valves in the uk with 10 million + in stock.
For info📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 275

#3 by Tyler Hatwell , Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:57 pm

You're right about it having a nice look. She is a beaut! Well done on getting her up and running again!

I tend to get frustrated and give up after twenty minutes of tinkering around with anything vaguely technical.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
Date registered 06.04.2016
home: East London
ThankYou 11

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Should give a decent light output there :-) Very nice

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks both ,bit of a labour of love this one had one of these machines when I first started out many many years ago and I just wanted to get it going.
The light output is not as bright as it should be but the bulb could have been in the machine for years and they are a bit of a pain to get in and out so I reckon on letting it go till it fails and cross that one when I come to it.
This machine was one of three that I decided to sort out the other was an old Singer which I did a piece on some while back and the other was an RCA.Both of these did not want to play there was a flash on the RCA then smoke 😟😟the singer just did not want to know anymore.So completely stripped both of what I wanted could get off within reason and ditched them.hopefully the arms from the RCA have gone to a good home in Weymouth.
Well on to the next one know 😀😀📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 275

#6 by Dave Guest , Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:06 pm

I wish you would have contacted me I have loads of spares for these brand new lamps valves etc should you ever want any ,but model 601 and 621 was the very best models ,re removing the lamp its best to pull out the slide lever on the front of the machine and you will see it will have formed a bubble on it due to lamp getting hot so its difficult to get lamp out at the bottom due to the bubble push a screwdriver in and brake the bulb then fit the new one ,you can also run the machine 10 volts less their are tappings on the transformer for doing this but you will lose abit of light and volume but lamp will last longer hope this helps I have the 621 in original conditionand box and receipt when my father bought it new

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

Last edited 09.21.2016 | Top

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks David ,to be honest I did not think of you for a valve,for some reason my mind with you is focused on film/projectors and not sundry items.I shall have a look at the machine again and be in touch,I think I would like an original valve not the clone.Thanks once again.📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 275

#8 by Eivind Mork , Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:14 am

Cool projector. I have a Bell & Howell 642. I love it, although it is not my main 16mm projector. If it breaks down and it needs a new part, I will contact you Dave!

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#9 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:51 pm

It is an unusual and interesting design. Thanks for posting the pictures of it. :-)

Timothy Duncan

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Make it stop

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor