Sound striper

#1 by Eivind Mork , Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Has anyone ever used a sound striper, like a Bolex DS 240 or something? I just wondered if it is difficult to use? Sounds like a fun device to have for silent films. I guess lipsync etc could be hard, but could be used much easier for chaplin type of films with background music.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: Sound striper

#2 by Mats Abelli , Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:24 pm

I had a Supersound striper for standard and Super8. It was easy to use, but the problem was to get the stripe to stick to the film. You had to clean the film with a non-lubricating cleaner, but even then a foot here and an inch there didn´t stick to the film. I don´t recommend home striping.

Eivind Mork sais Thank You!

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#3 by Eivind Mork , Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Ok. I see. And there are just one type of glue?

Maybe I see you next Friday at the club meeting? Would love to hear more about it.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#4 by Mats Abelli , Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Sorry, but I will be home in Sweden on vacation august 12th. I only used the original glue. Many components where made of plastic, so I never tried another type of glue. Maybe other stripers where better, but this one wasn´t cheap. I think I payed appx 300 SEK in the early seventies (About 3000 SEK, £250 in todays value )

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#5 by Eivind Mork , Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:48 pm

But maybe I see you at the Nordic film collectors convention in Oslo, October 1st?

By the way, I would hope to see as many as possible of you others too there. Some of you do not live too far away.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

Last edited 08.04.2016 | Top

#6 by Paul Browning , Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:01 pm

The bolex is the one have, although the striping is an art to do correctly, and only triacetate film stock can be done this way. Polyester film stock can only be paste striped I
understand, again patience and skill is the key to getting both to stick to the film base. If you have some waxing chemical on the surface this needs to be removed completely in order to get good adhesion and an even flat stripe to base, without this your done for. These are just the basics, you need to get even tension of both stripe and film when they meet or it will not fix correctly or loop on and off with parts not glued at all. Sounds very daunting ?, but it can be done if you have patience, and then to get the sound on the stripe and in sync, that's another chapter in this essay, so watch this space.

Eivind Mork likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
PICTURE GALLERY DELETIONS.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor