Film Fade

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:20 pm

I found a few interesting comments online yesterday. One was that the first 20 years for an Eastmancolor print are the worst; so does that mean that after 20 years it becomes stable?, another was, 'An Eastmancolor print can go to pink in 5 years', hence my question about stability, as I have a length of 35mm I picked up new in about 1982, it was perfect, then went red, but is still red, it hasn't gone pink. A more startling claim was that it can fade altogether, leaving you a blank film. I know red is the most unstable of colours, and fades in daylight, but has anyone had any experience of a film fading away?

Another statement that was new to me was that Ektachrome and Agfa reversal film both turn Magenta, with Agfa claimed to be the worst. Last time I checked any of my home movies the colours looked the same as the day I got them back from processing; neither Agfa or Ektachrome 160 had the strong colours of Kodachrome.

Robert Crewdson

RE: Film Fade

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Isn't Agfa turning purplish, not red?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi Robert, I once had a copy of Spare A Copper which is obviously B & W and don't know what stock it was on but it had faded to the point you could barely see anything on screen.

Del Phillipson

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:44 pm

My Safetly Last, 200' is going that way too. Also B&W, but you only see a bright spot where the faces shold be :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:17 pm

Was it printed on colour stock Del?; I have a copy of 'Spare a Copper', on B&W stock. I got a few L&H imports, that I discovered were on colour stock, and they are red.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:22 am

Hi Vidar, that's Fuji that fades to purple, Agfa tends to hold its colour. I got a shock a few years ago, when viewing my old std 8mm
4x200' Jason, the second reel had faded, the other three being perfect.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:45 am

Ah, i mixed up those. Ben Hur I have with this purple fade

Too bad about your reel 2. Will be difficult to find perhaps or where they sold separately?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:34 pm

There were a lot of terrible B/W prints released that were known as "Soot & Whitewash" Vidar, where the highlights were bleached out, and
the darker shades were black, this changed mainly through Paul van Someren and his mag, telling people to return bad prints, which eventually the message got through.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:34 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Hugh's reply to locked post

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor