Project the right image, 200ft Derann LPP

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 pm

Amusing short film from Derann about the right and wrong way to set up a 16mm projector to show a film. I have seen this one for sale many times but most have faded, however, this LPP print came up so i grabbed it, while this is a very good print and clearly on LPP stock my guess is that the sourced material did have very slight colour loss, but overall, it is very good and the colours and sharpness are a lot better than these images show.
It's also worth noting that the original does run for 13 minutes so this release is an abridged version.

A light hearted look at how to use a 16mm film projector. The film uses the device of showing the wrong way to approach the task followed by the correct method, but watch for the hilarious 'twist in the tale'. This gentle, humorous film stars the wonderful Graham Stark as the hapless projectionist and the genial Frank Williams (Dad's Army) as the vicar.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Martin Dew and Mark Williams

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Project the right image, 200ft Derann LPP

#2 by Graham Sinden , Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:33 am

Great film I have this also bought new from Derann at the time. From memory I think all that is missing is a summary of all the do's and dont's. The main part of the film is complete. Not the sharpest of prints but great to have on film.

Graham S

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Mark Williams
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 04.20.2024 | Top

#3 by Mark Williams , Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:19 pm

I screened my copy at Blackpool during the after show dinner a few years ago, Barry Littlechild supplied Derann with a 16mm print to make this release which of course was edited to fit on a very full 200ft spool, funnily enough the 16mm print turned up on ebay a few years back

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Tom Photiou
Mark Williams  
Mark Williams
Date registered 02.08.2024
ThankYou 1

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:56 pm

It is a fun reel for anyone with who collects film, be it super 8, 16mm or any gauge.
As Graham said, the edits are mainly in the summary of the do's and don'ts as well some of the animation during the main titles so Derann did very well on the editing, unless you've seen the full 13 minute version you would not have any idea of where the cuts are.

Actor Graham Stark as always only has to use his expressions to make you laugh.
This short is set in a small village church hall where some of the congregation are going to watch a religious film, Preachers of the Son.
After the main the part of the short film the one thing that they do say at the end is to check the film first to make sure you are showing the correct film.
On the screen is a film with the same title "Preachers of the Sun" which turns out to be a nudist film.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Martin Dew and Mark Williams

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#5 by Martin Dew , Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:10 pm

I was thrilled to find this on CHC's list a couple of years ago. I think mine is LPP, great colour. People I've shown it to love it.

The following members like this: Mark Williams and Tom Photiou

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#6 by Martin Dew , Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:11 pm

Sorry, this second post is in error.

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

Last edited 04.20.2024 | Top

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:29 pm

The colours are a lot better on screen than these images show thats for sure.

The following members like this: Mark Williams and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Martin Dew , Wed May 01, 2024 6:31 pm

Looks like there's one on CHC's list out today if someone here is looking.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Paul Browning

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#9 by Paul Browning , Yesterday 9:36 pm

I nabbed it today martin, thanks for the heads up, hopefully it will be in fine condition ..........

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Martin Dew
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#10 by Tom Photiou , Yesterday 10:26 pm

The LPP prints are very good, my print is an LPP but the images here are nowhere near what you see on screen, I am using a different old cheapie camera for the screenshots now and for whatever reason, the colours dont show so well, but hopefully you get the idea.
Paul, let us know what it's like.

BTW, while on the subject of screenshots, I was recently asked two things, do i only watch films to take screenshots and why do i take so many.
The answer is no i dont view films only to take images, I watch a lot more than the one feature a week,
The reason why I'm taking as many as i have recently is simple. One day, I will not want to keep such a large collection of films as I have, I intend to keep selling to buy at a rate of sell 10 to buy only a few to replace, the screenshots I'm taking are kept full size on files, so when/if i decide to sell they are all ready to go, that is, unless a film starts to fade in which case it will get sold sooner rather than later. Having a folder on the pc for every titles with 24 images, (eBay's max) is going to come in very handy when needed.

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited Yesterday | Top

#11 by Martin Dew , Today 11:36 am

Quote: Paul Browning wrote in post #9
I nabbed it today martin, thanks for the heads up, hopefully it will be in fine condition ..........

That's great, Paul! Well done.

If it doesn't come in an original box, Eivind has posted the Derann standard artwork on Super8database.

Paul Browning likes this

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

Project the right image, 200ft Derann LPP

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor