Fellow collector and friend Hugh Thompson Scott

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:44 pm

Yesterday It was confirmed that my good friend and fellow collector, Hugh Thompson Scott, passed away last August.

Since his last email to me last August, I have tried in every way to make contact not realising he had passed away.
Like other good friends I have who I met via the forums, Hugh was a very knowledable collector and contributed so much to the forums with many people on the other channel taking credit for tips HE put out years ago.
Unfortunatly, his views on some things, (like me) were often frowned upon which is fair enough, but this did lead to him no longer being allowed to contribute on any of the forums, however, our private email exchanges over the years resulted in lots of laughs, lots of putting the world to rights and above all, lots of film talk, hints, tips which along with other ex forum members helped me in the times of need.

Hugh never stopped looking in on the forums and would read all of our threads with interest, then I would often get an email to say, "I saw your thread, and I think you need X Y Z".
The stand outs are the fact that he took no nonsense from anyone and would say it as it is. He knew I was always on the lookout for a couple of films, namely, a fistful of dollars and also the weird but fun, Rebels on the loose. One he found and sent me a link to, and I won it, the other, A Fistful of Dollars, he found and bid for & won on the German ebay site, this was two of the 200ft excepts, and when he recieved them, he put them with his own 200ft versions and sent all of them to me as a gift, he wouldn't tell me his details to pay, and my cheques I sent were never cashed.
When he read that I messed up my Eiki SL2 during covid, he sent me an NT1 to which he said, "I saw your conundrum on the forum, so I'm sending you an NT1 that I no longer use, It works fine and will not damage any films and NO, I dont want anything for it, it's no good to me anymore so I want you to have it". I wrote a thread on this at the time.

Sadly, Hugh Scott lost his dear Wife Susan a year or so ago, then six months later his dear Springer Spaniel dog that was their companion for many years passed away leaving Hugh alone. As I read his last few emails I could tell that he had lost interest in his hobby and once he got Covid, or as he called it, the stinging chinky disease, that was the end, all the years he managed to avoid it, this awful virus took him down.

To end on an upbeat note, Hugh had hundred's of movies, luckily, they have been saved from the skip, (seriously). There is someone looking after this for him and many are on ebay now, some excellent and rare titles too. There are two I would have liked, but the one I have been lucky enough to secure is an IB scope print of Zulu. By pure luck, this film will remain with me and each time I view it I will be thinking of Hugh Thompson Scott, collector and friend.
I Know he will be pleased that this title in particular has made it's way to my collection. I will review it in his memory when it arrives.
RIP Hugh Thompson Scott.

Martin Dew likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Fellow collector and friend Hugh Thompson Scott

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:51 pm

As we get older, it gets clearer and clearer we do not live forever, and many of the ones that had been around in this hobby forever leaves us. Rest in peace.

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Greg Perry , Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:31 pm

Tom,

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Although I didn't know him personally, his previous posts showed that although he had, at times, a very feisty personality, he was also an extremely knowledgeable and generous member of the hobby.
I am glad to hear his films will be enjoyed by other collectors across the world. I am sure Hugh would have wanted that.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Bill Parsons , Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:16 pm

Sad news indeed, like Tom I always got on well with Hugh, I remember on one occasion when Hugh was active on the forums someone said something that upset me, Hugh was soon on the phone to offer support, given half a chance I think he would have visited the offender to "have words"
Some people may have been offended by Hugh, but it was just his way, he was a really nice bloke.

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Bill Parsons  
Bill Parsons
Date registered 10.07.2015
home: Brookland, Kent, Uk
ThankYou 23

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:26 pm

Thats exactly what Hugh was like Bill, verbal, but very honest and always helpful. I know if you upset him he would soon be on the case to defend himself in his own way or others. He did the same for me once when someone came onto the other channel and said something on one of my threads, It wasn't much really but he sent them a stinking message.

Many of his films are on ebay now, there are some very rare titles and many sought after, including the insane Phantasm which I have learned was one of his. I recall Hugh telling me how he wanted a copy of that film and he bought it from someone in Australia, (if memory serves me correctly), and it is a low fade copy as you may have seen. He loved the horror films, the gorier the better.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Clyde Miles , Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:55 pm

hi tom.
had a few transactions with hugh, was always a pleasure, so sad. best

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

Last edited 02.18.2023 | Top

#7 by Barry Attwood , Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:45 am

I can't say Iever met Hugh, but we talked occasionally. and he bought bits and pieces off me over the years, I know he liked Keith Wilton's releases as I sent him some bits I found on VHS, he was very pleased to have them. I know Tom phoned me late last year to ask if I'd heard from him, sadly it seems he had already died, but the news had not filtered out. He certainly was a one off, there's not many of them about these days!

Barry Attwood  
Barry Attwood
Date registered 08.11.2015
home: Weeley, Essex, U.K.
ThankYou 50

#8 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:23 am

He did enjoy those Barry, he often spoke of Mr Wilton.
He also sent me a copy on disc of tge film 86 item with Barry Norman about home cinemas where Kieths home cinemas were the main part of the item on the programme. Also a copy of his recording of an old BBC2 show about Ennio Morriconnie.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#9 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:45 pm

Sad news I bought a few films from Hugh and they were always in good condition and the discription spot on.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:39 pm

Oh, no. Sad to hear that. I wondered why he did not reply the last few times I contacted him, RIP, I appreciated the time I got to know you

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#11 by Lee Mannering , Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:37 pm

Sad when people we've known and loved the company of pass.
I'll always remember the post he did on Deep Throat 10 years ago.
Always remember the good times together .
God bless.

Lee Mannering
Date registered 11.07.2022
ThankYou 5

Olivia Newton-John.
Stella Stevens

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor