Projectors and stats

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:33 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I was browsing the super8database earlier, although i already had a read of the Projectors and stats section i thought i would bring it here for those who may not have seen it.
The Projectors and stats includes one particular piece regarding how many projectors took various spool sizes and one thing did surprise me. It's the fact that only one percent of machines took the 1200ft spool. Because so much talk goes into the Elmo 1200 series and the Beaulies, i for one completely overlooked the amount of projectors made and are still out there that only take a 400ft spool and that 600ft capacity is the next most popular, so it's easy to see why film dealers only released films on nothing larger than a 600ft reel.
I recall a fellow collector mentioning his some years ago regarding selling films on ebay. While i try to put spools back onto their original reels i have sold features on 800ft and 1200ft spools in the past, clearly, as my friend said, this could potentially put some people off bidding. Looking at this chart it's easy to see how this could be as many buyers would only have the smaller spool capacity and may not have the ability or equipment to break films down themselves.
An interesting and eye opening chart and write up. The database just gets better.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Projectors and stats

#2 by Eivind Mork , Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:40 pm

I am glad you found it interesting, Tom! I got some aha moments for myself when I was looking at the numbers.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:21 pm

I was simply taken back that only 1% hold the larger reels, all very interesting when seen like this. Anyone wanting to come into the hobby can see so much information on there, especially when wanting to find out about projectors as well as the films.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by Thomas Peters , Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:57 pm

Many years ago I thought it was great to put a feature on 1200 foot reels, but I rarely do that now, even though I have an Elmo ST-1200HD. I've left the ones that I do have on 1200 foot reels, or 800 foot ones, as the case may be.

No one watches films with me anymore, so changing reels every 20 minutes is not a big deal to me. Plus, I like to clean the gate and film path after each reel. Those Elmos create a lot of dirt for some reason, something that my other projectors do not do.

It is relatively easy to transfer a film from a 1200 foot reel onto smaller reels, if you have them. I did it before I had an Elmo. Just use a pen or pencil to hold the reel via it's hole. Works like a charm. Of course you need splicing equipment and leader, but that's necessary anyway if you are in this hobby.

If you don't have rewinds, simply use the reel arm of the projector.

Make things as simple as they need to be, but no simpler.

I've bought a lot of Blackhawk silent 2-reelers literally on two 200 foot reels. I don't actually know of any projectors whose max is 200 foot. I've never seen them in the various online databases that show projectors. That chart shows only 2%.

What's funny is that Blackhawk sometimes put a 2-reeler on two 400 foot reels -- and I've sucessfully put them onto one 400 foot reel.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 01.24.2023 | Top

The Current Prices of Silent Digests in 2021
Sound Striping in the USA

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor