Anyone noticed the price of ad reels recently?

#1 by Martin Dew , Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:19 am

Interesting to see the prices being fetched for (mostly Derann) advert reels on eBay recently. Four years ago, the going rate was about £40 for a reel with good colour, two years ago about £65, and now roughly £100 to £150. They're becoming like precious unmarked penny black stamps.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 95

RE: Anyone noticed the price of ad reels recently?

#2 by Greg Perry , Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:00 am

Yes, it seems the ad reels are a hot item lately. Here is a SINGLE 16mm B&W ad commercial, one minute in length for a popular toy from the 1960's....sold for $669.00 USD! 7 different bidders with a total of 18 bids....
I think Marco can make one up for a whole lot less....

Martin Dew likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:48 am

I guess it’s a sign of the times people may watch just the complete reel as a film show,not as part of a longer show.
Any new reels are few and far between on the market.Are people buying film as some sort of investment??

Martin Dew likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#4 by Martin Dew , Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:59 am

Quote: Gwyn Morgan wrote in post #3
I guess it’s a sign of the times people may watch just the complete reel as a film show,not as part of a longer show.
Any new reels are few and far between on the market.Are people buying film as some sort of investment??

It looks like some people are buying them as an investment - there's so much interest in these titles now. And, as you say, they're appearing less frequently.

I collect mostly just ads and cinema shorts now, simply because it focuses the mind and stops me indulging in indiscriminate spending on feature films. If there's a residual value to this stuff, that's just icing on the cake for me.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
ThankYou 95

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:00 pm

I think it's sad if these are being bought as investment's. At the end of the day it's a 200ft colour sound home entertainment reel, and very collectable at that, just like the big Derann releases because people quite rightly, hang on to them, they are just difficult to find, I think with the ad reels there may be a couple of things that help hold up the prices so well, they are very nostalgic, many of us will remember seeing these in the cinemas, and wishing they would get on with the main movie . The quality of these releases were generally among the best, especially the low fade ones.
The ads on these reels are, in many cases, small works of art themselves. No CGI graphics, all shot on film, and often, as entertaining as the movies they were supporting, aside that, its great to see non PC ads were you actually feel like your in the UK, if you watch the ads in the cinema now, like the ones on TV, you could be forgiven for thinking you live in Namibia.
It would be interesting to know how many of the adverts on these reels would not be allowed to be shown on TV now.

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Gwyn Morgan, Martin Dew and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:47 pm

That most probably does have a lot to do with collecting the ads,that simply you won’t ever see them in the cinema or on tv.
Most are non PC or just don’t conform to todays stupid ideology must not upset anyone enough said about that.
As Tom said some are small works of art,remember the Levi advert set in the laundrette boy washes jeans,or the PG tips monkeys giving it what for and of course the cigarette ads,I get why they are banned and I don’t smoke,but they are of a time gone by,the likes of which I doubt will be seen again.
So as such the advert reels of yesterday are irreplaceable in there original condition and can if in good condition command quite high prices which seems to be the way the hobby is going.I do also wonder whether people are getting tired of sitting in front of the tv remote in hand, having to do nothing but press buttons to watch channels repeating over and over, and now want something different and it just so happens to be reel film collecting.If you look around the forums there are people who are buying projectors and films with no idea of what they are doing,only to request help from forum members.Do they realise what they are getting into?one wonders.
Anyway I digress the value of the advert reels will I think continue to rise unless with the way the cost of living etc is going the bubble may I say may be about to burst.Time will tell😁😁.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:42 pm

These are items i have collected over the years, you do still see some at what i call the right price but they do sell very quickly.
They were also some of the reels i've considered selling many times but now i will hold onto them, not for the price reason, but because it is refreshing to see these types of harmless fun
ads, one of the best ones we have, and it was actually attached to a film i bought, presumably the seller didn't want it or forgot to remove it, is Sid James buying a hot dog in the foyer with two girls, one on each side of him, it's very "carry on" style, and very funny without even telling joke, these will never be seen on TV or in the cinema again,
Heres a good example, and a good reason to collect them, it is how sad todays sappy generation have become with adverts of the past, this ad is for Frankie's hotdogs, the title the person has put it up with on youtube is "pervy 80s hot dog advert, what a clown, this to me speaks volume's, it isn't a sign of the times, or progression, or equality or any of the crap they come out with now, what it is, is brainwashing, no one wants a laugh any more, i wonder if this one is on any o the ad reels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-QcHKS...hannel=AlDeNiro

BTW, the CHC reel of adult ads is one worth having, those boots and No7 ads are what we need more of

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 08.29.2022 | Top

#8 by Greg Perry , Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:22 am

Haha, seriously? Someone thinks this is pervy? ...I think this advert on youtube, which Tom shared, is completely a 'tongue in cheek' joking-style approach. Not "pervy" at all, in my mind. I can imagine it could be taken to a much more extreme level, but this is not much different than a woman licking an ice cream cone etc.

I have been trying to get the adult ad reel for a while now, that Tom also mentioned. I think it is titled "Beer, Fags and Women" (with the 'fags' referring to cigarettes).

Also, I hope there are not people seeing Derann prints as some sort of investment. I wouldn't be surprised, but I also feel eventually prices will come down significantly as older collectors sadly leave the hobby, and I just can't see them being replaced by younger film enthusiasts. Of course, who knows when the tipping point will occur. If we buy films at reasonable prices commensurate with our budgets and the level of enjoyment which a film will bring to us over the years, then I guess it all works out OK.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Martin Dew and Paul Browning

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#9 by Mark Mander , Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:30 am

I'll be selling a few advert reels so look out for them, I'll put a link up on each sale,Mark

Tom Photiou, Martin Dew and Greg Perry say Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#10 by Martin Dew , Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:15 pm

I wouldn't be sure that younger people aren't getting into this hobby, Greg. We may not see many young people at conventions but I get the sense there are still hundreds of collectors out there watching items on eBay or shopping at Barry's, Reel Magic or CHC. Every time I sell a film it goes to someone different and rarely, if ever, someone I know.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Paul Browning

Martin Dew
ThankYou 95

#11 by Tom Photiou , Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:05 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Martin, that is true, very few of my sales go to people on the forum or indeed, names i know. There are definatly more people in the hobby than we probably think.
With young people, it could be that many of them are doing projects at Uni, or indeed, just going through the "collecting cool retro stuff" stage. Either way, it is good for the hobby, but equally, people are either leaving the hobby or, very sadly, selling off there elderly relatives collections due to them being in home or passing away.
Either way, there is still a healthy market for it within the dealers and on ebay.
Having said all that, i still think 80% of what comes up for sale is worn or faded crap, with the high prices going to the few items many collectors want to hang onto. All the new releases of recent years wont make that much difference to the second hand market, there isn't enough of them to go around, those that do come up go for the same or higher prices than they cost.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Paul Browning

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#12 by Greg Perry , Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:37 pm

The observation that a good number of film sales are going to folks that are not active on the forums etc. is indeed a good sign! I hope I am wrong about the lack of younger people getting into the hobby---it is great to get new collectors in the fold. I certainly don't want to see the film collecting/enjoying hobby to go into a death spiral. Based on recent film sale prices, the market is very strong for select, high-quality prints, so that is meaningful.

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Martin Dew

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

UPDATE ON SUPER 8MM FILM STRIPING IN GERMANY
Bad focus on polyester films

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor