All this and WW2

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 20, 2022 10:05 pm

With my Brother is in the States, i decided to give the cam tank a rest and have a solo viewing of one of our more unusual films on 16mm, All this and WW2, i really do enjoy this movie because of both the music and some of the very rare footage from the war as well as inter cut Hollywood films, i did do a review here,

All This and WW2 2 x 2000ft Colour & B/W

This is a very rare film, and it is genuinely rare, (unlike the over use of this word on ebay), With the help of wiki, i found this short wright up interesting,

"The film has never been officially released on home video or DVD, but bootleg copies of the film are available from several collector-to-collector resources. A fairly high quality transfer is also available as an unofficial DVD release. A version of this film was released as a DVD plus two CD set by Gonzo Multimedia – TPDVD191 in 2016, entitled The Beatles and World War II, but this is a revised edition by original director Tony Palmer, using different footage and a different soundtrack

BBC2 gained the film a small cult following in the UK, when it was screened as part of their fifteen-hour theme night "Rock Around The Clock", which ran from the afternoon of 27 August 1983, into the early hours of the next day
On June 1, 2007 the film played a single midnight show at Landmark's Nuart Theatre in Los Angeles".

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: All this and WW2

#2 by Greg Perry , Fri May 20, 2022 11:05 pm

Tom,

I haven't seen this film yet. I always find it fascinating to learn a bit of background on the various films that are posted on the forum. I wonder if it is a music 'rights' issue that has prevented the release of this title on DVD.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sat May 21, 2022 8:47 am

I think it was purely because the film was ripped to pieces by the critics, they all said it was in very bad taste so 20th century fox pulled it just two weeks after its release so they never issued it as a DVD or VHS.The soundtrack sales did very well though, and is a double CD i also have.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat May 21, 2022 10:14 am

You certainly know how to pick them Tom,what a strange film.It must be quite a rare film on 16 or any other format for that matter.
Reading the comments on IMBD and elsewhere as you say was slammed on release but is now sought after especially in the States.Very unusual film where the sound track was more popular than the film.I wonder how many copies are still available in their original form.
You might have the only one😃
A keeper me thinks.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat May 21, 2022 11:18 am

Defiantly a keeper for me, and this print is on Agfa stock so the colours are A1, (obviously it's b/w and colour).
There is a generous length section representing the Pearl Harbour attack which is footage from Tora Tora Tora, most of it not in the super 8 400ft version. My guess is that 70% of the entire movie is real footage with around 30% various film movie footage, it's hard to explain how it's been put together but it does work very well, i cant really see how it's in bad taste, but perhaps when it was first released it was seen that way.
For anyone interested, here is the original trailer for this movie, oddly enough, the trailer is the opposite way to the film, its shows 70% movie clips and 30% real footage which i find odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx_Wa-hp...l=earcandyfilms

BTW, this print was one of Ian at Perry's last sales via the forum, he put it up for a price but there didn't seemed to be any interest. He put it up a second time and after looking into this title i took a gamble that i would like it, and made an offer and thankfully Ian accepted, i am very pleased with it.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.21.2022 | Top

#6 by Paul Browning , Sat May 21, 2022 2:32 pm

You should be an antiques dealer Tom, because you have an eye for future collectables/ rare items especially films , well done for spotting that one ...........

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sat May 21, 2022 5:16 pm

Thanks Paul, this was another of those unplanned purchases. The more i read into this film the more i liked it.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Mark Mander , Sat May 21, 2022 8:00 pm

Aren't they all unplanned Tom Ha Ha

Interesting and unusual film and the soundtrack is superb by the looks of it, nice to have that title in your collection, Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sat May 21, 2022 8:59 pm

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Lost in Space. A visit to Hades.