Film Transfer Machine Recommendations

#1 by Douglas Warren , Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:35 am

I’ve decided to finally digitize my late Father’s Standard 8mm movies. I know the Wolverine unit seems to be the most common machine for this task. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks everyone.

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

RE: Film Transfer Machine Recommendations

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sun May 01, 2022 2:31 pm

The Wolverine is a simple machine but mostly get the job done. I have one, although sold under the name Reflecta (but it is the same machine). I digitized my parents' home movies. All but two went through. The two that didn't was slightly wider than it should have been being a Normal 6 that was recorded on 16mm where the film was turned half way through and split and joined at the lab. I guess the lab was slightly off the middle for those two.

The result is OK. The speed of the end result was not correct, so I had to correct that with a video editor. I can't remember which fps it saves the video as, but it is not 18fps.

So for the price it does a decent job, but it is not a professional machine for sure.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: Film Transfer Machine Recommendations

#3 by Don Cunningham , Mon May 02, 2022 3:06 pm

This is dangerous territory as "home" machines lack quality. Family films should really be "scanned once" for archival purposes. As I have had my motion picture project scanned on different equipment, I suggest having them professionally scanned.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

Last edited 05.02.2022 | Top

Coming this summer....exclusively on super 8mm
Eumig Sonomatic, worth every penny

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor