Cat tails for two, 200ft Colour sound WB Cartoon.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:20 pm

This 200ft Warner Bros Merrie Melodies Techno cartoon is not one i have seen before, when Barry at Independent 8 enquired about the title i jumped in quick and made the purchase.
Directed by Robert McKimson, this is a 1953 Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies cartoon. This short was released on August 29, 1953, It was the first appearance of Speedy Gonzales, in a prototype form. Because this cartoon's rendition of Speedy Gonzales looked rather coarse, they redesigned him for future cartoon releases. Thanks to super8database, i have now downloaded an original box label.

The cartoons plot,
Benny and the unfortunate George, both patterned after the characters Lennie and George in the novel Of Mice and Men. George and Benny are walking down a pier looking for food, when they find a Mexican ship. Figuring the ship will have plenty of Mexican mice, i.e. "food “they climb on, only to find an unkempt mouse calling himself "Speedy Gonzales: The Fastest Mouse in All Mexico".
George and Benny go through numerous attempts to capture Speedy, who always outwits them. Speedy comes to think of them as private entertainment, at one point declaring "I like those fellows. All the time having fon (fun)!"

As i like to laugh at the PC brigade i will add the following which is genuine, it is not a joke, but for me, it really is.
The cartoon has been criticized for its stereotypical and insensitive depictions of Mexicans.

The quality of the print is actually pretty good, certainly much better than these images which as always, were taken during projection using an early digital camera, The colours are holding up very well with all the blues greens and yellows still very much in there. The sound is good and the print itself is in good condition with just a few black lines during the first 10/15 feet.

Don Cunningham likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 02.16.2022 | Top

RE: Cat tails for two, 200ft Colour sound WB Cartoon.

#2 by Greg Perry , Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:40 am

Wow, that is something to see how the original version of "Speedy" looked like. In the cartoons which came later, Speedy looks much more...dashing.

Yeah, Tom I am not seeing the negative portrayal of Mexican mice here as Speedy is both super fast and quite intelligent, but I am concerned about the way the cats, George and Benny, are portrayed. I am pretty sure my son's cat, Willow, would agree that these are insensitive depictions of cats...

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:12 pm

Exactly Greg, where do these clowns get off with utter crap like that?
When i first read that line it made me laugh as much as the cartoon did.
Until i saw this i never realised that Speedy had a different look put to him. Great stuff, and of course he is voiced by the brilliant Mel Blanc, the man of so many great cartoon characters.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Don Cunningham

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#4 by Maurice Leakey , Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:26 pm

Click below to see the film.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15cs83

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Castaway Trailer 50ft colour sound.
Chinatown. 1 x1200ft (3 x 400 Plus Pt 1 of full feature)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor