A NICE CHRISTMAS PRESENT (FROM MYSELF)

#1 by Graham Sinden , Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:39 am

I'm still waiting for my print of Jaws to be done and there is another delay while Andec are trying to hopefully sort out a problem. I wanted to wait for Jaws to arrive before I ordered any more prints, but this will not get done for a few more weeks/months yet so I decided to order and pay for Jurassic Park before the deadline ran out where this would be unavailable. I sent the money to Dave earlier this week and he sent me a email back telling me he could order a new print which could take months but he also had a spare print there with a slight stripe issue where the stripe edged into the picture area for 3 minutes but apart from that it's a "great" print he said. It was supplied on the original reel in a Bonum case with artwork. He offered me a discount so I grabbed it. Dave sent me back a partial refund and posted it strait away fast shipped via Fedex and in less than 3 days I had it in my hands AND THERE WAS NO CUSTOMS CHARGES TO PAY, maybe that is all part of Fedex. I inspected the film and Filmguarded it. The stripe problem is near the begining and it's just a slightly wider stripe for a section so sound should be unafected. There was no lab splices there and the stripe is smooth all across.

I projected the film and it's brilliant. Sound is excellent as is picture. The stripe issue doesn't really bother me too much, you just see it on the right hand edge of the picture and it goes in and out, in and out (better than a green scratch down the middle!). You just have to look at the centre of the picture and absorb yourself in the film and it then passes and the frame goes back to normal for the rest of the film. The sound is totally unaffected by this and is excellent all the way through. This stripe issue lasts for 3min 14secs (I timed it) which in a 28min film is not that much. It comes in around the time when the dinosaur eggs are hatching and as I say lasts just over 3 minutes. I'm glad it's early but probably would have been less noticeable in the night time scenes.

I'm so glad to have this despite the stripe problem as I couldn't bear waiting and waiting for a new print, maybe I'm dissapointed now I didn't order one when it first came out but the cost put me off then until I saw the quality and editing of those who did buy it.

Overall I just love this digest and are proud to own it and have already run it twice and will run it later today. I love the Sharpness, Good colour, Excellent sound, Stability, Editing is excellent and has just enough of the main titles and end credits to please me as the film plays out the music is still going in your head. A perfect digest in 28 minutes.

but, but, but...........

The one thing I do dislike about this digest is where it goes from full frame to letterbox and back again. It does this several times throughout the film and some spectacle is lost particularly when it is used for the first time when we the visitors in the jeep it then moves to a wide letterbox shot of some dinosaurs and makes it seem like it's a film clip spliced in, not what they are seeing from the Jeep. It also goes letterbox a few times more but I suppose this couldn't be helped. Some trailers do this as well like the recent Xmas Trailers Reel. After watching this film for the second time I kind of like got used to this letterboxing as this is how it is.

Overall a fantastic film I now have a copy of and a lovely Christmas present just in time for the big day. I will look forward to Jaws now hopefully not too far away and a perfect print when it arrives .

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou, Eivind Mork and Gwyn Morgan
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 12.24.2021 | Top

RE: A NICE CHRISTMAS PRESENT (FROM MYSELF)

#2 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:33 pm

Graham, very good, and i think Greg's full review is very accurate to this release and pretty much covers it here,

Jurassic Park - Digest Review

I will add my own screenshots later, (no point in another review) but agree, the editing in particular is among the very best of any digest print released, the sound coming from the DVD digital source is also among the best and like i said before, with this print, i can now appreciate how the re-recording some collectors do to their own films makes a huge difference, if they sound like this film, then i get it. I still cant do it though .
The few scenes that go to slight letterbox doesn't bother me but if i had to be really picky, i think i would say it would have been great if another minute or two of the T Rex paddock scene could have been included, especially when the rex tries to get through the sunroof, and perhaps in the very early well lit scenes there is a couple of those vertical lines but they are almost invisible, my audience doesn't notice them but i do. but never the less, the editing is a 10 out of 10 and it is a very good release. Clearly, a lot of work has gone into this first main release. Jaws for me would be a good one to add but as i understand it, the editing is very close to the U8 version which we had for 30 years plus so it has been viewed to death.
A great self xmas pressy Graham, i will watch mine again later today.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Greg Perry
Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Eivind Mork , Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:54 pm

What a great Christmas present!

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:32 pm

Very nice enjoy your Christmas treat.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#5 by Graham Sinden , Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:37 pm

Tom I also agree with you it would have been nice to see just a tad more action. I myself was not too bothered about seeing the Dino eggs hatch although that added to the story but would have happily traded that for more action. It would also have been nice just to have an extra 20 seconds of music at the end. As it is though it's a great 600ft. It's also nice to have a number of scenes of Richard Attenborough who died in 2014.

I will put in a cardboard box though with maybe new artwork as I'm never keen on those Bonum cases for commercial prints, unless it's home movies.

Funnily enough when I ordered Jaws by paying a deposit, I didn't even think of adding Jurassic Park due to the cost mounting up as there is a limit of how much I can spend but felt lately I had to get it. BTW I have no interest in getting the Godzilla films so I wont go mad but would like Curse of the Werewolf but will leave that till next year.

BTW How do Dave's releases normally come. Does he supply a box or is it just the reel and stick on artwork supplied separately?

Graham S

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 12.24.2021 | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:35 pm

Mine was the film on the spool and a sticker. Luckily, i still a number of those decent quality white boxes Derann use to sell. They are so much better than those sold today.

Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

First ever video interview with Dave Baker now online!
Some News !

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor