Internet in the countryside....

#1 by Greg Perry , Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:52 am

This post doesn't directly deal with film, but this issue does impact my posting to the forum. So I felt that was close enough..

I posted earlier about my internet outages over the past three days. There is no fiber optic here quite yet. What we have is microwave cellular (I think) which requires line of sight contact between our satellite dish and the access point in town a few miles away (or so I have been told).

We get some high winds out here and eventually the dish on our roof gets jiggled out of alignment. Sometimes the internet connection comes back and then it is gone again. I can either wait a week for a technician to come out with the hydraulic lift (as they won't climb a ladder for 'safety' reasons), or I can climb up on the roof myself and realign the dish to the grain elevator in town which "broadcasts" our internet service. So of course, it is up on the rooftop for me.

Lots of benefits in living out in the country--but reliable internet access is not one of them!

Here is a few pics for illustration. In the middle of the second pic, you can see the top of the grain elevator...Hopefully fiber optic will be coming to our area soon!

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Gwyn Morgan and Tom Photiou

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Internet in the countryside....

#2 by Maurice Leakey , Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:51 am

I have been a fibre optic user for a couple of years. My speed has dramatically increased. However, my old copper wiring still goes a few hundred yards down the road to a connection box to join the fibre system. Perhaps one day I will be offered a fibre connection direct to my house.

But I am lucky to live in a city that has these facilities, the countryside is quite near me (in north Bristol) where some people in those parts are having problems with their old copper systems and long for the day when fibre gets to them.

Living in the countryside is no doubt desirable but it does have some drawbacks, such as a limited bus service.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan and Greg Perry
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#3 by Tim Duncan , Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:18 am

We dealt with terrible copper wiring for years, until someone told us that the Electric Plant Board offered fiber optic internet services in our area. We were using AT&T before. The price is about the same for what is much better quality service. We can use multiple devices at once now, and it makes uploading pictures to this site (for example), MUCH faster! :-)

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Eivind Mork

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

#4 by Eivind Mork , Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:20 pm

All you need is to connect a few wires to it, each leading to one side of the house, so you can drag at any of them to reposition it from the ground level ;-)

Few things make me as grumpy as when the internet connection fails. At home it is rock solid fiber, but at the cabin we have copper wire with poles. When it is windy and tree falls on the lines we loose the connection.

Tim Duncan likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#5 by Greg Perry , Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:47 pm

You are right, it is really annoying to lose internet. Many things like bill paying etc. are now done online so the impact is far greater than just film related fun.

Tim Duncan likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#6 by Tom Photiou , Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:38 pm

Personally, while the internet has made life much easier for all sorts of things, the way the western world in particular relies on it for just about everything may well be its downfall one day. Its easy to render a country deaf and blind by knocking it out. We also use fibre optic for both our internet and TV and it is very reliable and very fast. Here in the UK we do pay quite a bit for it as well.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 09.30.2021 | Top

#7 by Greg Perry , Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:25 am

Tom,

I have thought the same thing--over reliance on the Internet is a bad thing.

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#8 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:32 am

Quote: Greg Perry wrote in post #7
Tom,

I have thought the same thing--over reliance on the Internet is a bad thing.

So do I .
For one thing, I do not do Internet Banking. Direct debits are fine, and I can always visit my local Bank branch for anything special such as transfers and similar things.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tim Duncan
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Elmo ST1200 Lamp mod

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor