What kind of posts attracts your interest?

#1 by Eivind Mork , Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:35 pm

We have a parallel discussion here on why it is quiet here and with few new faces. The same happen most places. People come and go. Facebook now gather a lot of people, but most groups see a lot of activities when it is new and then it fades.

I would like to turn this on the head: I would like to know what people would like to see in a forum? What attracts your interest?

For me it is first and foremost nice to see what my friends are up to: What have you just bought? What have you just watched? Any new interests showing up? This iw what fuels my interest the most. And it is OK if there is not that many updates. It is still fun to see what's up even if it has been a while.

Next, there is always the fun of discovering new things. As I started super8database.com I have discovered so much more what's out there, but I never get tired of discovering something new.

Third there is all those tricks and detailed knowledge. When I was new this was super important, but as time flies you know more, and the two other subjects gets more important.

We are all different, and catch interest in different subjects. That's the beauty of it. So what is the most interesting to read for you?

The following members like this: Tim Duncan and Gwyn Morgan
Tim Duncan sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: What kind of posts attracts your interest?

#2 by Tim Duncan , Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:13 pm

I haven’t posted anything in a LONG time here! There hasn’t been a need, as my collecting interests have been elsewhere for a couple of years. Initially, I NEEDED involvement in a forum for technical knowledge. However, much of what I now know has come from much searching on the web, particularly from YouTube videos, as well as a lot of trial and error (mostly errors). I agree with Eivind on what draws me to the forum. My own knowledge wouldn’t be useful to anyone as it is limited to simple repairs on some quite old Bell & Howell silent standard 8mm projectors that I own. It’s well below the complexity of the equipment that most of you own. Although I do have a 16mm projector, also quite old, I have never had to attempt repairs on it (thankfully). But I personally have varied interests so film is only one of them. The personal connections I have made makes it more fun have discussions here, but they are like myself. They have various things going on that doesn’t enable them to participate often. I like seeing everyone’s screenshots, screening rooms, equipment and club/collector gatherings. Any posts that tend to lean toward the negative, I don’t usually read or participate in.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Tom Photiou and Greg Perry

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

Last edited 09.18.2021 | Top

#3 by Eivind Mork , Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:42 pm

Really good to se you here again, Tim!

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#4 by Greg Perry , Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:35 pm

Tim,

Very nice to see you back here on the forum! We've missed your posts and comments.

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Tom Photiou , Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 pm

I also like to look through technical threads such as general servicing, in particular, Mark Manders servicing threads and fixes of recent months. Sometimes, these can be a problem if a threads or a comment is read wrong or taken wrong, sadly this also results in loss of member's.
I myself, (in case you didn't notice) like to take advantage of the ease of use of the upload side of this forum to do some film reviews, for me this actually has two purposes, 1/ the review for everyone to see and add to Eivinds and Greg's excellent super8 database, they also show the prints we have and how they are or arnt holding up with colours, and 2/ i also use the images to store full size on a separate hard drive, (a new folder for each title, and 12 images for each). The simple reason for this is that i have images of all our titles at the ready if i decide to sell some films off, and i have, many time.
I also like to see what other collector friends are up to in the hobby, what new films/equipment they add or sell off. The more who add to this the better it becomes.
What i dont like is to much kiss ass which i see too much of elsewhere, its good to be friendly, but cringeworthy when things start to become like "teachers pet", if that makes sense.
As of yet, on this forum, i havnt had to reach for the sick bucket . That is a major thumbs up, all things film are good subjects.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 09.20.2021 | Top

Closure of this forum? I have a bad feeling here
New Dealer?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor