Global Shipping

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:37 pm

Anyone on here use Global shipping on ebay? If so, any problems?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Global Shipping

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:06 pm

I haven't used the Global Shipping since last year. I have used it both as a buyer and seller. Never had a problem. I would only buy films from the US that used the Global Shipping Service. It's cheaper than if they send by USPS, then customs charges and Royal Mail's handling fee. I used it as a seller a couple of times sending items to Australia. It was only the same as posting to a part of the UK. I think the package went to Derby, where it was re-labelled and customs documents added.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 08.10.2021 | Top

#3 by Greg Perry , Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:09 am

I have used it as a seller and have had no problems with it. I don't have to mess with US Customs paperwork so that makes things easier for me. As a buyer I have received packages through the Global Shipping service with no issues.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Tom Photiou , Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 am

Ive used this shipping programme for the first time.I was automaticalky signed into it otherwise ebay stated that overseas customers could end up paying taxes twice if i use my own courior.
i posted the item around July 20th. It reached the GB shipping centre here in the uk a few days later. Now i can no longer track it which seems wrong to me, so as my buyer hasnt recieved he has contacted me. I live chatted ebay who said ask the buyer to open a case as this way they can get involved to sort it. There comments were"the great thing about the GS programme is that we are both protected". Great!!!!! I think ebay are missing the point here, i want my customer to have his film. I think it sucks that a customer has to open a case before they will help. They are responsible for getting there, why should a case need to be opened before they will look into it?
I can only hope it is between here and its destination. First use, possibly last use.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:05 am

I have had films coming to me where there was no updates for several days, which was worrying at the time. I've never lost anything receiving or selling. Eventually, you should get a notice that customs labelling has taken place and it has left the distribution centre. In my case, I was aware when the parcel was handed over to the Australian mail service, and a new tracking number provided.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#6 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:06 am

July 20th does seem a long time, where does your tracking end?

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:49 am

I have used the global shipping only to buy no problem …so far.
Tom does that mean if your buyer opens a case regarding the film not received,you could end up with your eBay rating compromised.
I have read on another forum of horrendous dealings with eBay in the USA,but I believe there system is different to ours.
Hope you get it sorted okay.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#8 by Maurice Leakey , Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:24 am

I have used it many times to buy 16mm features from the USA.. Tracking on various sites works well until it leaves the USA, then it's a long wait until Hermes in the UK acknowledge they have the parcel. Tracking then continues very well until delivery.

The advantage of the system is that you know no further payments are required such as UK customs .

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 08.11.2021 | Top

#9 by Tom Photiou , Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:09 pm

The problem is when something goes wrong, ebay seem unbothered. They wernt able to track it, and asking me to get get my customer to open a case seems a bit extreme. As Gwyn said this has the potential to give me a negative feedback even though its ebay at fault.
It may well turn up but the lack of help is pretty poor. Fortunatly, the buter is very understanding.
The inability not to be able to track this parcel all the way is a pretty crap system

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#10 by Maurice Leakey , Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:41 pm

Tom
Global Shipping is handled by Pitney Bowes. Have you tried their tracking site?
https://www.pitneybowes.com/us/shipping-...-solutions.html

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#11 by Paul Browning , Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:27 pm

I've used it many times Tom, and prefer it to the normal channels per say, but the tracking on most of the systems across the globe have a certain amount of risk involved. I have with the global shipping the tracking tends to disappear once it gets the the uk, at least i know its in the UK then. Its a damn site faster too, but beware of the address details when using this as i have just had a problem with this. I thought i could change it before i paid for some films from the US, BUT NO, it was so fast to complete the purchase in used a forum member US address and could not e altered even by ebay, so i asked the forum member if would kindly help, which he did with no hesitation, so this was quickly resolved. Ebay suggested i ask the seller to put up the items again so i could purchase them with the altered address, he was not happy to do this. Thankfully Greg helped me out here, and am indebted to this man and cannot praise him more highly for his help, with out which both of these items would have been re advertised i'm sure. Ebay are fine when things are honky dory, but the first sign of a problem, unless its obvious, they aren't much help, but all they're interested in is you filling out the bloody forms, asking "how did our agent do" .................

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#12 by Greg Perry , Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:41 pm

Paul,

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad I could lend a hand in this situation. 100% agree with your comment that when things are working it can go smoothly, but as you say any problem and Ebay can be a pain to work things through. I feel Ebay Customer Service is truly poor when assistance is needed.

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Robert Crewdson

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#13 by Tom Photiou , Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Well, i shall see what the outcome is ,
Maurice, thank you for that information. i will give it a go.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#14 by Paul Browning , Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:44 pm

Perhaps the best thing to come out of my predicament Greg is that the seller now offers the global shipping facility, i must have paying too much for his items, DOH......... the story of
my life .....

Greg Perry likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#15 by Tom Photiou , Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:04 pm

i have confirmation from Hermes that the film was delivered to the UK ebay hub on July 26th at 6am

The part i cant grasp, is why ebay are not able to track it there end unless a customer opens a dispute, thats not poor service, its S*** service. Now i have to wait and see. All ebay say is that the good thing about GS is that the buyer is protected as well, looks like we need to be.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#16 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:11 am

This is a good site to use for tracking any parcel by any courier, I use it in addition to Hermes, UPS, Yodel, etc. https://parcelsapp.com/en
I had a parcel delivered by Hermes yesterday, it was posted Saturday for next day delivery. I contacted Hermes who just apologised but didn't explain why it took 3 days from pick up to reach the national hub. There was no tracking movement from Saturday afternoon until Tuesday evening.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#17 by Martin Dew , Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:39 am

I use it for selling. I find you get better auction sale prices by opening up the market to the world.

I only had one problem, Tom, when the same bidder from Gran Canaria on two occasions won an auction. Unfortunately, Canary Islands are not included in the program for some reason, so I had to relist the items in each case.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Clint Eastwood, 2021
The Fugitive

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor