Watching the countdown

#1 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:46 am

I saw on the Super 8 Database a film titled 'Projecting the Right Image'. I remember someone once posting a link to this, so I looked it out again on Youtube. It's all about the right way to project a 16mm film. They tell you to wait until the countdown leader has passed before turning on the lamp (a bit difficult to see in the dark). Personally, I always like to watch the countdown, I know i'm watching a real film. Am I the only one?

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

RE: Watching the countdown

#2 by Tom Photiou , Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:28 am

No your not Robert, as you said, for us in the hobby it's all a part of watching a real film, apart from that, hopefully you'll have the film focused using the leader. Unless of course you are mimicking a real cinema and dont want your audience to see it, but again, these days the audience love the countdown, the kids love to shout out the numbers, and there is still one or two that shout 2, 1

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:57 am

You're right Tom, you need that bit of time to focus before the film starts.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:22 pm

Robert ,that film Projecting the Right Image is a throw back to the golden days .God forbid you showed a countdown to the general public always had a run to check the technical issues prior to showing.If I watch a film on my own I run all the leader with the lamp lit but when I have any one else I strike the lamp and dock the countdown till the film starts even if it’s a hand over the lens .
Of course there is always those who like to make the finger images on the screen😂😂😂.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Paul Browning , Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:16 pm

Definitely like watching the countdowns, and like Robert says you know you watching real film. It reminds me of the scene from "The Smallest show on Earth, where the audience are counting down the leader before the film starts, classic.............

Robert Crewdson likes this
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#6 by Greg Perry , Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:00 pm

I like to see the countdown even now. As others have also shared, when we were kids in grade school it was a universal thing to shout out the numbers from the countdown, and then of course it was all quiet during the film. Back then no one dared talk during a school film or you would be in for it.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#7 by Eivind Mork , Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:18 pm

I too like to see the countdown. It is all part of the feeling of watching Super 8 in my living room and not just a DVD.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

The Fugitive

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor