Beulieu 708 problem

#1 by Julian Oxley , Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:54 pm

Hello Forum!

I recently got the Beaulieu out of the loft only to discover a problem :( Everything works except when playing a film the front spool doesn’t hold the film taught and it starts to fall forward. I did some investigation and the projector works fine in reverse no problem. I loaded two empty spools and ran it forward and backwards and noticed in reverse the front spool doesn’t move but in forward it occasionally does but not all the time. This leads me to wonder if it should be more like the rear spool in reverse and not move at all!? Perhaps there is a short or faulty switch making it do so? Anyway here I am asking for your help. Help me reel film people, you’re my only hope ;)

Julian Oxley  
Julian Oxley
Date registered 07.19.2021

RE: Beulieu 708 problem

#2 by Mark Mander , Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 pm

Maybe the reel arm belt has perished Julian, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#3 by Julian Oxley , Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 pm

Ah, ok. Is that easy to diagnose do you know? Do open the arm up and peek inside?

Julian Oxley  
Julian Oxley

#4 by Philip Murat , Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:32 am

Hello Julian,

Not sure to have caught the exact issue , anyaway, these machines don't like to sleep too much.

I am confident 3 "time" belt are in very good condition as these belts (one for each arm , an other one inside) are reinforced , long life , heavy duty ones.
I heve never replace one for my machines , more than 40 years later.......

Have a look for clutch ratchet systems (2 front , one rear) which could be jammed a bit. Drop a few thin oil and see (not necessary to disassemble anything at this time).

Above , Ratchet is (19)
Friction washers are (18)

Above, Ratchet system is (10/11/13/14)

Hope that helps

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

Last edited 07.24.2021 | Top

#5 by Julian Oxley , Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:44 am

Wow! Thanks for your reply Philip. I’m away for a few days but I will definitely do this when I get home next weeks.

Thanks again!!

Julian Oxley  
Julian Oxley

#6 by Philip Murat , Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:58 am

Just to complete with more informations :

At this time, it is not necessary to disassemble anything.

Thumb-Screw (9) allows Clutch Torque adjustment. (same Thumb-Screw is installed on rear shaft). Avoid to change its position unless it is necessary. It is ESSENTIAL to loosen tiny screw (10) before to move Thumb-Screw. Screw (10) is fitted perpandicularly in Thumb-Screw's thickness. Tiny Screw (10) is a locking screw.

Just to remind that pulling out knob (39) , in front of you, overrides clutch function (slipage) during rewinding and increases rewinding torque value temporarily.

NB :

Here are some values .

Take-Up / Rearward clutch recommended normal torques (NOT overriding rewind) : From 6N to 8N/Cm (1Kg = 10 N), so that, for exemple, force applied on a 10cm ray is from 60grs to 80grs only......

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

Last edited 07.24.2021 | Top

#7 by Julian Oxley , Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:41 pm

So, I've oiled the assemblies and run a movie (Close Encounters :) through and so far so good. I would like to reward your support - how can I do this best?

Many many thanks

Julian

Robert Crewdson likes this
Julian Oxley  
Julian Oxley

#8 by Philip Murat , Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks for your feed back Julian !!

Did you oiled all the clutch systems ?

I suggest you to lubricate cams (and outboard claw bearing too) behind the shutter also . Both Cams are nylon matérial . You can use light grease in a spray can with a small pipe.

Then your machine will be ready for ten years more.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou
Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

#9 by Julian Oxley , Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:16 pm

Hello forum, hello Philip, I’ve squirted oil all around the insides which has fixed the original problem of the drives on the arms not pulling the film onto the back spool. However the projector has developed a vibration when playing forwards that makes the image jitter. Interestingly does not have the same when running backwards. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks again.

Julian Oxley  
Julian Oxley

#10 by Julian Oxley , Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:23 am

Now I’m wondering if it has more to do with the spools I’m playing. Larger older (been through the Beaulieu plenty of times) play fine. Newer smaller spools 2(200s) has jitter.

Julian Oxley  
Julian Oxley

#11 by Philip Murat , Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:00 pm

Hello Julian,
For the time I don’t see any link between size and weight of spools and the film jittering effect.
- Is film transport more noisy as usual ?
- Is the jitter effect appearing for any film always played or only for the same film played ?
- If yes, is it a polyester film or Tri-Acetat film ?
- Is jitter effect observed for « Mute » or « Sound » playing or both modes ?
- Assuming « Jittering » is an Horizontal vibration (from film edge to edge) , I suggest you to slightly lubricate film edges with a film lubricant. (Just pinch film edges with an impressed compress with proper film lubricant)
- Insure you gate and film guides are perfectly clean and smooth : Removing lens carrier assembly (You will need a tiny Hex wrench for 0.9mm or 1mm , I don’t remember. Just loosen Hex screw for one turn and half)), check side presser (excessive wear as a longitudinal cut). Spring is very smooth. Side presser must float free. Take the opportunity to check film faces presser pad too.

Let us know

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

Donald's Ostrich
Independent 8. The 8mm releases you may not know about.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor