Eumig Claw arm/pin change Pt 3

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:03 pm

I managed to get a little further tonight, this is a slow process for me as it's a first time working on any Eumig to this degree. As i understand it, once you are experienced with tis particular job, it shouldn't take very long at all, i think i would have to do this ten times before i could be that confident, this is the first stage in getting everything back together but the i know the challenge ahead is going to be getting it all to run smoothly with as near to correct adjustment as i can mange without the expertise and correct tools for adjustments.
Now the claw mechanism has been removed i made my first error, i removed the shutter completely instead of just pulling it back a tad. The two screws on the shaft were loosened and shutter removed. To actually get the shutter off all together i needed to remove the bulb holder, again this was one simple screw. Once i remove the bulb holder i realised this was not necessary, all i needed to have done was just the shutter back as far as the bulb holder in place.
Image three shows the claw arm in place ready to be removed with image 4 showing the screws that are required to be removed. Image five now showing the old unit out along side the new one to go in.
Image six shows the frame unit with the arm removed, the claw arm spring now visible, the next image showing the all important washer that must go back onto the spring where the centre of the claw arm locates into the spring. This was something that John White pointed out to me prior to purchasing the new claw arm. It was pure luck that he had one in stock as he doesn't normally sell these, a few simple tips to help goes a very long way.
Getting the claw in place was fiddly but relatively simple, once in place and secured with the two screws, it was a case of holding the claw arm down while gently refitting the shutter and getting the claw arm pin to engage it, getting it as near correct as possible by eye, i tightened up the two securing screws. The claw cam in the shutter was cleaned out and re greased prior to refitment. Rotating the spindle slowly by hand, i made sure the claw was functioning in the correct manner and that the shutter wasnt going to hit anything. Using my 820 sonomatic as a model, i tried to get the shutter roughly the same distance from the claw mechanism body.
The image image shows i now at last have a claw pin.

If anyone has any other tips or comments they could add i would be grateful, if you have done this job yourself please let me know how yours went. The next stage is going to be getting things back together, as always the service book is fine but never straight forward as it seems.

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Eumig Claw arm/pin change Pt 3

#2 by Greg Perry , Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:24 pm

Tom,

So far so good! It is a small "bonus" to be able to relube the inner workings when you have it taken apart like like this.
Hope things go well on the reassembly!

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Eumig Claw arm/pin change Pt 3

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 pm

Thanks Greg, glad someones interested . Re lubing is the big bonus on this as the machines grease seems to have almost vanished. I need to order a couple of small parts so this will take a few days, so as i still have a fair amount of the red Elmo projector oil, il put a dab into the shafts bearings and let it slowly soak down. Just a drop or two though otherwise its too much and we all know what over doing it does.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 06.18.2021 | Top

Typical "ELMO 360M Reels" , possible modification, question :
Eumig 810DLUX claw pin change Part 2

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor