no more film sales for now ...........

#1 by Paul Browning , Wed May 12, 2021 9:19 pm

I suppose i should blame it on brexit but i'm not that cynical. Over the last few weeks a seller in the US was seller a large collection of 16 mm films, some real classics in this long list, but also stated that he would only sell through ebay and would not sell them privately, which is fare enough. So a week later after some very good sales. nothing for few days, i checked again thinking i had missed a few i would have bid on, still nothing. I emailed him with my concerns, here's the reply i got................ I am worried that I will be put into a higher tax bracket for making so much from these films, I also don’t want to start getting taxed a %40 after exceeding the yearly $15000 profit from a gift, that plus ebays %10 tax would cause me to lose more than half my profits. I am going to talk with someone who knows a lot more about it than me and from there I will decide if I am going to continue listing films or wait until next year.

This is the 3rd seller now who i have had some great films from, but now as this will hit others, it looks like a good time to sell those unwanted prints in your own country privately or hopefully at the shows, which may just resume soon. i must say for me 2 of the 3 are gonna be a loss as i have had some great films and with one dealer some great help at airport terminals ..........

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 05.12.2021 | Top

RE: no more film sales for now ...........

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed May 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Paul, I too have been watching the post on the other site plus quite a few of the conversations regarding eBay.
From my observations I would say that eBay in the states has got a lot of different rules and regulations that at present we do not have here except for the loss eventually of PayPal,but I guess it could in the future we could have a lot more intrusion into the hobby and how business is done.I wonder if as a seller you will soon have to give more than your bank details here as well.
The problem is ebay has such a monopoly on the way items are bought and sold there is no real alternative.
I’m not sure what the answer is but I personally don’t think things are going to get any better and certainly buying from the states is becoming more and more expensive,pay more to get the film here than the cost of the film.Such a shame.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Tom Photiou and Martin Dew

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#3 by Paul Barker , Thu May 13, 2021 7:37 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

i sell and have bought on ebay. i have always used global shipping when buying from usa. never had a problem and shipping always cheaper through it. full tracking all the way. i am now using ebays new system. i have always had a seperate bank account just for my ebay dealings. i normally have no more than £20 in it just to keep it open. it has worked very well without problem. all my recent sales on ebay have gone into this account with no problems whatsoever.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#4 by Don Cunningham , Thu May 13, 2021 5:56 pm

I only would sell on periodically, and usually for higher dollar items that would offset fees. But now that linking a bank account is required (automatically deducting funds if a buyer makes a claim), I stopped. I had an issue when I sold a camera without returns (sold as-is). After I tried to steer him in the right direction (the camera did work), I received a reply, "Let's have Ebay decide." I was done selling...it no longer supports or protects those only selling sporadically.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#5 by Paul Browning , Thu May 13, 2021 8:27 pm

I have used the global shipping on ebay as some sellers only use this method and i agree, very good faster than the normal route, but i'm concerned now that ebay are giving us less and less choice, just like our large supermarkets, everything under one roof, why go anywhere else , a monopoly by any other word it would seem, and that is not good, slowly but surely easing everyone else out, squeezing everyone just that little bit more. I certainly won't be giving any more of my details to anyone, including ebay. One odd thing now, i was tracking an item from the USA, and it disappeared for a time only to reappear in sweden ??, that's not good for the planet, my parcel has been to more destinations than me, at my expense.......

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Martin Dew and Gwyn Morgan
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#6 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Do you remember the supporting film at the start of Monty Pythons meaning of life?
The very big corporation of America, they wernt wrong.
Google,
ebay
Facebook
twatter
apple
Microsoft
to name a few, its all going to go badly wrong one day. These companies are gathering more information, all the apps we all like to put on our phones all designed to gather information. Who we , where we are, what we do and we THEY think we want or need. And these are the early days.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri May 14, 2021 7:47 pm

Someone,somewhere,is watching you!👺

Robert Crewdson likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#8 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 14, 2021 7:49 pm

Thing is Gwyn, your not wrong mate.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

BLACKPOOL FILM FAIR 2021.
eBay listings that won't go away

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor